Building a vacation/rental house - what would you do differently?

I’d love to know why. Please can you enlighten us? You could seriously cut your workload by using both. (Or your cleaner’s workload).

1 Like

I thought she said she’s not hosting now.

1 Like

Yes she did. I’d forgotten.

I’m not sure. But I thought so. Not that it matters really.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll join in. Microfiber= toxic. No way would I want to sleep on and under plastic sheets or would I give them to my guests.

5 Likes

I hate putting the blankets in and out of the duvet. I also hate that the blanket within isn’t often cleaned. I like a lot of thin blankets that can be washed over and over.

Thankfully, I haven’t been hosting lately due to covid. If I do host again, I will get a property manager so I don’t have to deal with anyone - since I dislike people.

1 Like

I use coverlets and I was them after each guest. I have a bunch - I layer them with cotton blankets, but often here, you just need light blankets. It rarely goes below 50 at night and the days are warm so the house doesn’t feel freezing even though there’s no insulation. There’s also a fireplace for some warmth.

This makes no sense at all. I don’t want to start the duvet debate all over again but still.

Good idea. Really? You hate people?

I didn’t say hate. I said dislike.

I am really interested in seeing the different sides on this debate. I guess there are other people like me who find these duvets inconvenient? I always thought it was just me. NO ONE ever agrees!!!

I love a clean blanket, that means the blanket inside needs to be washed too. I had a duvet when I was young and I always found it uncomfortable, the blanket inside would twist around and the cover was loose on it, plus, it’s just not as clean as washing everything.

I apologise. The hospitality business seems a strange choice for someone who dislikes people.

This is a complete mystery to me.

You don’t put a blanket inside a duvet cover, you put a duvet inside. They don’t “twist around” . The cover has to fit the duvet.

3 Likes

I find duvets to be very uncomfortable. Lots of hotels have them. They give me the choice between a roasting-hot duvet and a not-warm-enough sheet only. Awful. I wouldn’t inflict that on guests.

Our guest beds: 100% cotton. Cotton-filled mattress cover, Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases, assortment of cotton blankets (depending on season—extras in closet), cotton matelasse coverlet. Everything washed between guests.

2 Likes

That sounds fine, I do something similar in summer. In winter it does get cold, even below freezing so then I put the filled insert. I don’t put “blankets” in my duvet cover. In the summer I will use the duvet cover with no insert. Someone here said they thought it was wierd but again, no one has said anything about it being odd and with almost 600 5 star reviews I’m not going to worry about it.

Yawn… someone has TMFTOTH.

:wink:

JF

1 Like

I prefer a shower curtain to a shower door anytime. I use a white fabric liner in the guest shower and a white cotton shower curtain. The liner comes down after each guest and is washed with the sheets. It doesn’t need to be dried, just rehung. It air dries in less than an hour. I’ve had it for 4 years and it still looks brand new. I use the hooks that are shaped like a question mark so they do not have to be unhooked or removed from the curtain in order to remove the liner.

2 Likes

I do the same. Not so weird. Looks good too

1 Like

Here are my suggestions for your lakehouse:

• Max out your sleeping accommodation to increase the amount you can charge nightly (and make sure all beds are comfortable)
  • Include an inviting outdoor space (covered is great)
  • Install a lock off cupboard for housing Airbnb supplies
  • Install full size laundry machines
  • Avoid jamming too many things into kitchen cupboards - more things to keep clean and manage (I once found an inventory list from a timeshare unit and found that to be a good base list for what to include in a rental unit)
  • Focus on washable / low maintenance furnishings
  • Gather a wishlist of inspiration photos (e.g., Houzz, Instagram)
  • Create a profile of your clientele and determine what decor and amenities would suit their needs
2 Likes

I bought some new sheets from Amazon for our own bed at home.100 % cotton 400 thread count sateen weave . Bought them in sunny yellow to combat covid blues. Its only been 2 nights but have made some observations.
Pros: they are really comfortable and soft.Less hot but still get hot flashes, anyway. Color is gorgeous.
Cons : wrinkled from the get go.Just out of the dryer. More expensive than most of the sheets I have bought.
Truth is I do not make my own bed at home— never. So for personal use I do not care about the wrinkles. I will not iron for my STR. No way.And won’t ask my part time cleaning lady to do so. (Forget the hubby, he doesn’t iron either) Would be willing to try the spritzing with water technique . But since I haven’t had any complaints about the beds or bedding yet, I will probably stick to the toxic micrifiber and the cotton and cotton blend combos I have been using at the rental. Will probably need to replace them more often but the difference in cost and wrinkle factor will be worth it to me.

If you are wanting cooler sheets. And, IMO, hot flashes require them. You will want to go with a lower thread count and a percale weave instead of sateen. Higher thread counts will be “hotter”. And a sateen weave is second only to flannel sheets for warmth. Linen sheets are the coolest (and the most durable) but you won’t like them if you prefer a soft smooth sheet.

3 Likes

I haven’t had any complaints about wrinkles either. I live in a dry climate so I typically toss the sheets in the dryer a while and then take them out while they are still damp and put them on the bed in the Airbnb room. By the time I finish making the bed the are dry. Or sometimes I toss them a bit then hang them outside on the clothesline.
If there are some bad wrinkles I’ll spray and smooth.

1 Like