Bringing someone back

In the absence of a house rule at the time of this booking, it wasn’t really a “transgression,” and it seems unfair to the guest (and to the concept of honest reviews) to complain that the guest has transgressed (or give the guest a low rating). I have an unambiguous “no unregistered guests” rule at my property, but without such a rule in place I would blame myself, and not the guest, if the guest believed it was okay to bring a friend back for a sleepover… especially if the number of beds facilitated such an arrangement.

In the absence of an indoor camera, you cannot be sure of what “it” was. Perhaps “it” was what you feared… but then again perhaps it was a sister or perhaps it was a co-worker who missed the last bus or had too many drinks to drive safely.

In any case – a clear rule “no unregistered guests” will prevent a repeat. We do this and tell guests it is for insurance reasons so they don’t think we are simply being nosy.

When guests make a booking request (we don’t do IB), we always respond with a "before I confirm your reservation I want to just double check that you are aware of all our guest policies and comfortable with these arrangements… "and then I run through all the “smoking, pets, unregistered guests” stuff. That seems to set the tone, screen out the potential scofflaws and keep us all out of uncomfortable situations during the stay.

4 Likes

You have to cover this in your house rules and have them agree to follow all house rules before you accept a booking. You never want unregistered guests on your property!

1 Like