Boss booking for employees

Hello, luckily my little town gets tradesmen coming to town - I got my first booking from the “boss” for his men. Since my bookings have been VERY slow I was happy to accept. But afterwards wondered if I should have asked for the guests names prior to accepting a booking? The host had great reviews “for his groups” and as a host- so I felt he was genuine. If there is damage would he be liable as the booker? Is this what is called a “third party booking?” Am I covered ? Thank you.

If you’re set up for WORK bookings, then this is allowed under ABB, you just need to check the TOS and make sure you’re covered. Asking for the names of the people staying is advisable.

3 Likes

Hi there - is there a different setting for “work” bookings? I hope it’s not more legal tape or fees?

The boss who is booking for others needs to have a business account, not a regular account. If he doesn’t, it is considered to be a third party booking and Airbnb may wash their hands of it if the guests behave badly.

3 Likes

If he doesn’t already have an AirBnB for Work account, here’s info on how to sign up for it,

As a host, I think there are certain expectations to host AirBnB for work clients…but I’m not sure they are “requirements.” I would expect high speed reliable internet, and a dedicated work space (desk and chair) would be the minimum.

Of course, if you are hosting linemen, oil field workers, and the like, they many not need those amenities. Check with AirBnB for your requirements to host AirBnB for Work guests.

No legal tape or fees, as far as I remember. I’ve hosted AirBnB for Work guests but it’s been a while (pre-pandemic) so who knows? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Apparently it is not so complicated as people here have indicated luckily. You can book for someone else- you just need to add them as a guest in the reservation and then the responsibility lies with the guest and you are covered with airbnb… Airbnb told me this. Here is the info:

Booking trips for someone else

Wondering if you’re allowed to book business trips for other people at your company? As long as you’re a verified member of the Airbnb community, you can create reservations on behalf of others.

When you book a stay for someone else, you handle the reservation request, introductions, and payment—then transfer responsibility for the trip to the guest. Once a reservation is accepted, both you and the guest join the message thread with the Host so you both receive all trip communications.

If you’re building a reservation for a guest who hasn’t created an Airbnb profile, you can still check out and pay. We’ll email the guest and guide them in both creating an Airbnb account and accepting your booking request. If you booked using a credit card, you may see a pre-authorization hold on your card while this process occurs. Once the reservation is confirmed, your payment method will be charged.

This only applies if the booking guest has a work account. Does he?
No one here has indicated that it’s complicated. It isn’t. If the booker has a business acount, he can book for his employees, if it’s a private account, it’s a third party booking for which you will not be covered should things go awry.

I hope you are right. You sound like you want to have your cake and eat it at the same time. If nothing goes wrong, you’re fine. If something does and you haven’t bothered with “legal tape” then Airbnb may use that as an excuse to deny payment for any issues.

3 Likes

that’s not what airbnb is telling me…

What a silly aggressive thing to say. I want to have my cake and eat it too. What a thing to say.

Perhaps you enjoy extra rules and bells and hoops and complications. I am trying to make a process streamlined and simplified for my guest - as booking are down and I don’t want to lose out.

Airbnb isn’t telling you anything. A front line CS rep is telling you, and they often give out incorrect information and advice. The information you quoted above refers to business accounts, not personal accounts.

Third part booking policy:

"Booking business trips for others:

If your company is enrolled in Airbnb for Work, you can designate people to book trips on behalf of others."

2 Likes

I mentioned this to the staff at airbnb and called back after you mentioned this and the 2nd person confirmed and put it in writing in an email… that they didn’t have to sign up for a work account… since they put this in writing - I would assume that this is legally binding- they also confirmed in writing it is not a 3rd party booking. As long as the guest joins the reservation… making them legally liable… IF the guest does not join then I need to cancel the reservation.

1 Like

Okay. I suppose if you can communicate directly with the guests who will be staying, that would address some of the problems hosts encounter with 3rd party bookings. I’ve read of hosts who had work crew guests who hadn’t been given any info by the boss who booked for them, and smoked inside, tracked mud all over the floors from their dirty work boots, and had other guys in the crew who weren’t booked in staying there, or coming over to hang out and party.

So just make sure everyone’s on the same page.

But as to a message from CS being legally binding, it definitely isn’t. Hosts have had CS tell them the guest wasn’t eligible for a refund, and the guest got refunded anyway, had CS tell them, when the host called about a badly behaving guest, that if the guest left a retaliatory reciew, it would be removed and wasn’t, etc.

1 Like

Enjoy? What a silly, aggressive thing to say!

I want to have Airbnb protections, such as they are, if I use them to secure a booking. I mostly book direct now so their rules seldom apply to me. I don’t expect to violate their policies in the name of making it simple and also ask them to have my back if something goes wrong which is what your own statements as quoted implied.

You have assured yourself that what you are doing is allowed and you will be backed by Airbnb in the unlikely event of a problem which is what you wanted to hear.

4 Likes