Boost of new listing

When I publish a new listing does it initially get a higher ranking? If so for how long time ?

When a new listing is published, does it initially get a higher ranking? I.e does it show up higher when searching for a property?. If so for how long time?

We have a listing, but in order to not risk our super host status we will make the new listing under my wife’s name in order to not risk the super host status we have on the current listing under my name.

New host with a new listing gets a boost for around 4 weeks. It also depends on the saturation of your market.

1 Like

I talked to Airbnb and they claim that there is no longer any boosting to new users with new listings…

Do you have any source to the 4 weeks ?

How is the saturation defined and do you get more weeks is the market saturated or is it the opposite?

My experience was about 4 weeks, but I am in a very small market. There are 24 entire homes in my location and I have 5 of them.
In a saturated area, many new hosts, so many to get to the first page.
I would be very careful of what I believed of the CSR…. They don’t even know the policies well.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response, I agree that CSR is often completely off in their answers.

2 Likes

i thought it was a 2 week boost. but of course, is there actual proof of this? it’s probably tied to whether you stick to: IB, flexible cancellation policy, and smart pricing… meh.

As part of my side gig of helping new hosts build their listing (No cost to new host) In August of 2022, I helped a new host build his listing. After publishing/go live, we were screen sharing his calendar and working on custom settings for special dates. His calendar was noted by Airbnb of the dates he was receiving the new host promotions. There were 2 notations-I don’t remember the detail. One was for the new host “spot light” of appearing higher in searches. The other was for the 20% off booking promotion.

Airbnb screens appear differently in different browsers for example safari vs chrome.

Airbnb is optimized for the newest version of Chrome which is what he was using.

If you are using the newest Chrome, after go-live check your calendar for the dates.

I think new host search boost was 4 weeks. 20% discount expired after first 3 bookings or after 45 (maybe 60) days.

About creating new listing new account-probably smart. In early 2022, I created a new listing under my existing account & did not receive any new listing promotions (that I can remember).

That is “secret sauce”. Keeps us guessing.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing a lot of “new listing” homes in my area lately. My personal favorite Airbnb promotion is the “rare find” designation. Almost every one of them are new listings with about 2- 3 reviews yet they have the banner proclaiming what a rare find you’ve stumbled on and Billy Bob’s place is almost always booked. Check the calendar - not a booking in sight.

3 Likes

The 20% is it optional and does it come out of your pocket or does Airbnb cover the 20% discount?

I found the answer on the Airbnb site. "Our new listing promotion allows hosts to easily apply a 20% discount to any eligible listings for the first three bookings. In order to be eligible, a listing must have 0 bookings, instant book enabled and smart pricing disabled.

This promotion gives you the ability to merchandise discounts to guests, which is a great way to make your listings stand out—especially during shoulder seasons. Plus, there is no commitment, so you can opt-out at any time if you feel like the promotion isn’t working for you.
Once you opt-in, guests can then book reservations occurring within the next 90 days to receive the discount on eligible listings.

The discount expires for each enrolled listing after the third promotional booking, or 30 days after your promotion opt-in date, whichever happens first.

1 Like

Of course Airbnb doesn’t cover it. And unless you have a lot of competition, it isn’t necessary to offer it just because Airbnb recommends it. Like all their recommendations, it has nothing to do with what is good for hosts, only what is good for Airbnb- more bookings= more service fees for them.

2 Likes