Bookings are very much down VRBO/HomeAway - do others have same experience?

I can totally believe this. Who would want to visit this country while we are showing the world how foolish we are!!
I’ve recently joined this site… :slight_smile: :wink:

3 Likes

LOL!!! I saw that site! It’s for all of us who want to escape the Chetto Jesus!
And if you haven’t yet seen this classic that broke the Internet yesterday, here is a PINK version.

2 Likes

Actually my HomeAway, VRBO bookings are way up, and with a higher price and the new fee they are charging being implemented. My AIRB bookings are almost non-existent though. I suspect it is because I will not do AIRB instant book B.S., where I am required to accept hookers ect. And before anyone jumps down my throat and says I can cancel three instant books without it counting against me, let me say this: I have no time for having to deal with hookers, and that is who uses instant book routinely. So if you do not vet the guest beforehand, and let some instant booker through you should not, be prepared to have that quality a person in your place. And thats just the facts of what to expect. For me, I have no problem having less bookings from undesirable guests, and am happy to go the route of being able to vet my guests, which I can do through HomeAway. HomeAway lets me see the guests email and phone number, and with that I can check them out before accepting. I guess HomeAway / VRBO does not feel like AirB does, that by allowing hosts to see that information they are going to get cut out of the equation; the only people who are concerned about getting screwed over by hosts are companies that would screw you over - in my opinion.

They inquired and then told you they were afraid of riots in USA? Just tell them to avoid Trump rallies, they should be OK, unless they encounter a psychotic mass murderer, which can happen just about anywhere in the world these days. Or they could just stay home in the basement… Much safer.

3 Likes

@KIKC
I hear you. Paris anyone? Or all the other places where it’s “really” dangerous…

2 Likes

I never cease to be amazed at what people think “facts” are. This has almost nothing to do with instant book and everything to do with what kind of listing you have, how many days minimum stay, how much notice you need, your price, eTc. 39 different people have instant booked with me (out of about 130 guests) not one hooker. Where is your listing, Las Vegas?

Yes, I have noticed this as well. Wish I had enough money to start a new company:(

Well continue to be amazed Karma, because if you did an ounce of investigation, you would find many a host who have had hookers use insta book. An no I am not in Las Vegas I am upscale, which is likely the problem, too upscale for the clientele AirB attracts; thats not news, but it too is reality.

Every host and every rental is different. I’ve always used instant book and have invariably had wonderful guests. Just because you attracted a hooker doesn’t mean it’s the fault of instant book.

2 Likes

That’s not what I said; read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. And I did not attract a hooker via instant book, as I do not use that option.

@Alan1 Thanks for your response and I am very interested that your VRBO/HomeAway bookings are up since mine are really down and my only thought is that the new fees were driving people away. My Airbnb bookings are up since my home is available more than it was before. I use IB on Airbnb and have never had an issue I have been renting for three years. I do require a government issued verification but also I am in a rural area which is not exactly a hot bed of activity. I do not use Airbnb price tips since they are way below my rates and the market is so limited in my area that the comparisons are not accurate. I have always found the HomeAway/VRBO guests to be much more savvy of vacation rentals and accepting of cleaning fees and such. I guess I was thinking the HA/VRBO “Bes Match” system they have been promoting may have an effect as well.

Its the same reason why we dont want to go to Europe because of bombings in Brussel and France

Personally I think you can’t live your life in fear. If you want to go to the USA or somewhere in Europe just go. They’re relatively safe places. For all you know you might get hit by a bus tommorow.

And if you’re still worried don’t visit capital cities. That where terrorists tend to go. But even that wouldn’t put me off. The chances of you blowing up on holiday are very small.

2 Likes

I belong to a different message board, and one of the members was traveling from Virginia (I think) to the Adirondacks (my part of the world), and I had given her advice on where to go, where to stay etc. Anyway, a few days before they were to arrive, 2 prisoners escaped from a maximum facility. She cancelled her whole vacation!! Because there were prisoners on the loose! I tried to explain to her how vast this Adirondack Park is, but she had done research after the prison break and was ‘appalled’ at the number of prisons in upstate NY, said she would never in a million years travel to the Adirondacks. If her fear wasn’t so sad, it would have been funny.

3 Likes

Now that’s really funny! I remember this prison break! They didn’t do too well and got caught. Love the Adirondacks! As did the Rockefellers!

1 Like

One of them was shot and killed, the other was caught. They were within 20 miles of the prison or something like that. That’s some rough territory up there, and it was no where near where she was going to be :slight_smile:
And yes, the Rockefellers did like it up here :slight_smile: So did the Roosevelts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to take deep breathes…this is what I sent to guests who all of a sudden wanted to cancel through Flipkey. I won…thank the universe:

You wrote all that to some scaredy cat guest? I don’t even bother to tell them about the bears and snakes and yearly deaths at the swimming holes I’m going to recommend to them till they get here and I’m handing them directions haha :slight_smile: Seriously though…bears are actually rare in my neck of the woods, and I do not ever recommend they go to the dangerous places. But one does have to be on alert when out in nature.
But, I guess if it helped you win keeping their money when they cancelled, it was worth it.

2 Likes

Right after my son accepted a prestigious US Senate internship earlier this year, DC was put on an elevated terror watch. Do you think that stopped him from going or me from taking him there to get settled and do some sightseeing beforehand?!

hell No.!!!

We went and had a fabulous time. His five months there was uneventful save a couple of bad roommates who wouldn’t do their dishes. :wink:

During last year’s dengue outbreak in Hawaii, which was not even in my neighborhood, I had some guests panic and canceled, blaming me about how I didn’t warn them about dengue. of the 200 some cases, most were residents, only about 19 were visitors, the first visitors in fact, who imported the dengue to begin with…I explain precautions to every guest and even provide bug spray, but come on…not a good reason or fair reason to cancel on me.

Air backed me up.

Please… Stuff happens and it is not the fault of the host and I shouldn’t be made to eat it. Hawaii has sharks, but attacks are rare. If a shark bites someone, does that mean I should be ready to refund?

You are more likely to die from being an idiot and going on closed trails or entering the water in unsafe conditions, not following posted warning signs.

Every day all over the world things happen. Chances are good they are not going to happen to you. So go and enjoy places. Life is too short not to.

3 Likes

i had a chunk of the month on the line. So yes…I wiil absolutey try to comfort those who are scaredy cats. I am one and it is crazy. I haven’t told guests yet that a big bear has already been there. Current guests are happy.

1 Like