Booking Guests With No Ratings

Noob here. I’ve hosted 4 times so far and one of my guests had no ratings but I took a chance and all went well. A group of 4 people want to book for a week and the person booking doesn’t have any ratings and left no information about what the trip is about. I am hesitant to accept the booking - what’s your experience?

I have hosted for over 10 years and have had many first time guests who consequently have no rathngs. (99% have been fine). I would worry a little more about people who have been members for a long time with no ratings. There are legitimate reasons such as their partner using booking under his/her own name, etc. but it might occasion a question from me. From reading in this forum the larger the group, it seems the larger the risk. Much depends on your own tolerance for risk. Even a less than ideal guest can help you tweak your place, your description and your processes.

4 Likes

There’s this nifty thing called communication. Requests give you 24 hours to communicate with guests before deciding whether to accept or decline.

7 Likes

I have hosted many guests without ratings and they have been wonderful. I have also hosted five star guests that were awful. One really can’t relay on reviews too much because some management companies that are hosts will give every guest a five star review even if they were horrible PITA guests.

9 Likes

My problem guests have mostly been from this category.

Same experience.

I like hosting new to Airbnb people.

4 Likes

Think exactly why this is? I would estimate that 50% of my Airbnb guests are new with no ratings. No problem.

4 Likes

@mastorama – YOU are a 'noob" Did you ever stop to think that maybe people aren’t booking with you because you don’t have many reviews???

People without reviews are NOT automatically bad guests!

Did you even bother to ASK these potential guests why they want to stay with you, or even come to your city? Or did you just assume because they weren’t effusive and forthcoming that they were bad. Maybe they are depressed because they are coming there for the funeral of a loved one.

99% of the guests out there are wonderful people, Stop stigmatizing someone before they even agree to stay with you.

6 Likes

You don’t have to be condescending. I am simply asking a question.

3 Likes

You are not simply asking a question. You are asking a novice question that has been answered hundreds of times in a forum to which you’ve contributed absolutely nothing.

And now you are whining about being given professional advice for free instead of saying “thank you”.

4 Likes

Relax, you are getting good advice here. Stick around, read a lot and ask questions, try not to get bent out of shape some of the hosts here have forgotten more than you have learned, yet.

RR

6 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

JF

4 Likes

Why do you need to know this? If you explain to the guest your reasoning they are more likely to respond.

I understand that knowing a little more about the guest can create a better experience for them. For instance, if a guest says they are coming to your area to play golf, then you can have brochures from local courses prominently placed in the rental for them.

If they are coming for a job interview be sure during the house tour to point out the full length mirror and the ironing facilities.

But bear in mind that some guests, particularly those new to Airbnb haven’t been asked before when they’ve booked hotels so don’t understand why you might want to know.

8 Likes

Personally, I’d be more interested in reason for visit and/or info about the individual who is booking. I have had success with the following, give or take a huffy response or two😉

“Thanks for your inquiry. I see you are new to AirBnb, and I like to know a little about my guests to make sure we’re a good fit.

Thanks - looking forward to hearing from you!

Marie

I use my name as a little nudge, and keep the request for info general & open, so they’re less likely to feel interrogated. I did have a first timer from Cambridge, Mass. who don’t only informed me that he was a Harvard grad, but said he’d be happy to send me links to his many published articles :joy:. He warmed up during the visit and left a kind and enthusiastic review.

If I don’t hear back, I decline.

5 Likes
  • my name as a nudge toward friendliness
    *Harvard professor

ASK. “Thanks for your request to book. Please tell me a bit about yourself, your group, and reasons for traveling here (I do this because I’m not in a tourist destination, per se). We strive to make sure our home meets or exceeds your expectations and needs while you’re staying with us. Once we hear back, we’ll accept your booking.”

It works like a charm. People love knowing that you want them to be happy and that you have important information for them - construction, travel times, proximity to favorite spot, etc.

4 Likes

you owe me a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. #coffeeeverywhere

That makes sense… I had heard of Airbnb over the course of some time/years but hadn’t jumped aboard until just before covid I think 2018/9? My daughter and I took a trip to NOLA first time mom & daughter vaca well I thought let’s do another first time thing and see what all the Airbnb hype all about. Booked a lovely mansion type home on the Esplanade right next to the famous painters former residence
We enjoyed our stay for the most part but the home owner/host sort of bugged me because the husband called me constantly at random times through out my stay about the most who cares things. I shared with him I mainly wanted to be let alone and not contacted unless something dire was about. He got it but he was trying to over impress because we were first timers! They took us on like this daughter and grand daughter team which needed to be cradled is all. Nevertheless if we weren’t accepted on my gal and I would perhaps still be Airbnb “virgins”? Can I say that? Have to take the chance or the community will not grow of people never took the chance years prior then many host wouldn’t be needed now, the company wouldn’t be as massive because it would be the same fish swimming in the same pond.
Also we took our first Uber/Lyft during covid ha so old school didn’t want to let go of yellow cab.

2 Likes

I’ve been hosting for almost 2 years now, and have been very blessed to have so far had only one guest that was awful…and one that was great, but I will never host again ;o).
I like hosting folks with no reviews because I was once that person, and remember wondering how folks could feel comfortable having strangers (me and my husband) in their home…and I’m a little too clean! However, we do have a small apartment with only one bedroom, so I’ve never had to deal with more than 4 people, so that might make a difference. But I say, give a chance…I know I appreciate being offered one. Best to you!

2 Likes

I’ve been hosting since 2016. There is no reason for anyone on the forum to be condescending in their response. You’re asking a legitimate question. There’s no problem or shame with asking a prospective guest the 'purpose of their visit, number of people in their group or their ages. The guest’s response is typically far more forthcoming and informative, i.e. "we’re coming to visit family living in the area, my partner is attending a college reunion the rest of us will be sightseeing etc. If they don’t respond don’t worry. I always ask these questions when I get inquiries with no reviews and no information, even after 6 years of hosting.

4 Likes

So do I and I can gauge how well the visit will go depending upon answers.

3 messages down “Oh, we have an infant but it’s OK because they’re quiet…” Um, nope. No children at all. “Our little tiny dogs are left in the room.” Nope, nope they’re not.

1 Like