Booked by 3rd party

I have an international student arriving tonight who will be staying for 3 days until he can get into his student residence. He is coming from the other side of the world, planning to arrive by midnight tonight. I found out today that the account is actually his mother’s (brand new account) and she has booked this on his behalf. I’m inclined to let the 3rd party booking slide I guess, since there’s no way he can create his own account mid-air. I think I will let the mom know tomorrow just fyi for the future. Any thoughts?

6 Likes

"I’m inclined to let the 3rd party booking slide I guess, since there’s no way he can create his own account mid-air.”

That’s what I would do.

4 Likes

Exactly what I would do.

3 Likes

Contact the person who made the third-party booking, and have them add the students name to that persons profile. This is how airbnb suggests. Remember, without the student on the reservation You have no recourse, communication, or agreement with the student.

For me, I would handle it a bit differently, by asking the student to create his own profile, cancel the mother’s booking, and have a student rebook. I have never felt comfortable with people showing up on my doorstep having no responsibility

9 Likes

This is great information! I didn’t know that. I bet that the mother would be appreciative also of this information so that she could do this in a proper way going forward (or the son going forward opens and uses his own account).

3 Likes

“Contact the person who made the third-party booking, and have them add the students name to that persons profile.”

I hadn’t thought of that option. Thanks!

4 Likes

Years ago I made my first Airbnb booking as a guest - it was for my daughter and her two friends. I let the host know that it wasn’t me that would be staying and she approved it.

There were a few issues, like the apartment wasn’t ready at check-in time and they had to wait outside for an hour… there were a couple of other things as well. It was awkward to write the review on their behalf and years later, as a host, I regret not rating her higher because overall they had a good stay.

1 Like

I didn’t know this was an option either… that’s great! Makes sense.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. I will work with the guest and airbnb to make it happen but I am not risking my home and asset.

1 Like

While as parents we never really give up trying to help our kids out when needed and possible, these helicopter parents who book for their kids need to realize that if Junior is mature enough to go study abroad and live on his own, he should be arranging his own accommodation, not letting Mommy do it for him.

7 Likes

I keep trying to take care of my son who is 23 years old and in law school. My DH gives me dirty looks and tells me to stop “babying” him. Fortunately, my son seems to be able to take care of himself - except when the money runs out!

1 Like

I’ve always been curious about this. I was under the impression that a lot of hosts on here have short-term rental insurance. Maybe neither of you do but, if you do, doesn’t your STR insurance cover a guest that comes from a third-party booking? The same as if it was a direct booking with that guest? Or do you have policies that only cover bookings that come through Airbnb?

1 Like

yep, mine does. That’s why I let a few of these types slide by when I see it’s a valid reason.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. And so that + no one is counting on Airbnb’s coverage, why so much angst about third-party bookings?

because in some cases it means a party?
maybe other people have different insurance requirements?

Well, one thing I’ve read about re 3rd party bookings is that the 3rd party often hasn’t read the listing info, house rules, etc. And then if they are awful guests, Airbnb won’t support you booting them out, because you chose to take the booking.
Also the person who booked can leave a review and rating, when they never stepped foot in the place.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. That was my original question. I was just wondering how other insurance is set up. I thought it was the same type of insurance that hosts got so that they could book directly, but maybe it isn’t, I don’t know.

I just switch from a commercial policy at over $3000 to a homeowner with a rider or $1200. There are exclusion for when guests cause damage on purpose.

Part of it is that I want to know who is coming to my home too.

1 Like

I was concerned that he would be arriving at 1am and have trouble getting in and then have to message his mom in China to message me - or for any other question or concern for that matter. Also, he wouldn’t have a vested interest in the review since it would be someone else’s account.

Anyways, we got it sorted. She added him to the account (thanks for the suggestion). He did indeed have some trouble figuring out his way and I was able to help him.

1 Like

I understand that. I was curious about the concern with assets or liability and such and the relationship to STR insurance.

You have to be able to communicate of course.

I had a situation last week that wasn’t a 3rd party booking but the guest who booked wanted her guest to be able to check-in early (and before her). They were arriving on different flights. I told her I’d do it but only if she sent me her guest’s phone number. And when it kind of seemed like she was ignoring the condition, I was prepared to take back the offer. It ended up working out but I resented having to say it twice.