Book now, pay part now, the rest later, new airbnb strategy?

“Strict” is 50% up to one week before arrival.
I would like to see a screenshot of what is behind the “learn more” link.
I bet they will charge the remainder 7 days before arrival .

1 Like

I just sent what you wanted, Chris

Yes, thank you. You posted the moment I asked.

So I think the payment term is flexible, based on the cancelation policy of the host.
With Strict 30 or Stric 60 they charge the full amount a lot earlier.

What cancellation policy are you running @NYhost? Thank you for the screen shots .

Yes, but what if Airbnb is unable to collect payment within the last week and then cancel the booking? Let’s say, 6 days before booking? Would Airbnb cover the other half of the payment (since based on the strict policy, the host is entitled to full payment)?

My apprehension is that they may try to collect on the last week and then if unable to collect, cancel 7days before, just within your cancellation period. Doesn’t this setup kinda encourage last minute cancellations?

My policy is flexible, but that does not mean I want ABB to make it easier on people to cancel, even if only psychologically. As a psychologist, I think about it that way. I also feel it does not do good to my listing.

Yeah I’m on moderate (cancel up to 5 days before) and I wonder if it’s the flexible hosts that are being experimented on… I 100% agree with you by the way…,

Exactly @littlehost. That’s happened before with long term stays on Airbnb … so it stands to reason it will happen with shorter stays too.

I’m on the flexible cancellation policy and my guests aren’t being offered the pay part now, the rest later option. I wouldn’t mind if they were. As guests can cancel up to 24 hours before their stay with no penalty; it would make no difference to me.

2 Likes

Actually thats a really good point. It doesn’t make a difference to my policy either as they can cancel up to 5 days in advance anyway.

Good! I can go back to not worrying about this.

I agree this isn’t good all the way around. Any idea what date they will choose to run the credit card for second payment? If guests now are refunded the service fee (if they meet certain criteria) - I imagine it will coincide with them getting a full refund (including service fees) while they blocked someone’s calendar for a long time.

1 Like

I assume that Airbnb will put a hold on the amount of funds necessary for the second payment. I think that it’s a good idea to give people the option of two payments. If they are planning ahead and use a credit card they will have to pay in advance for the entire stay or pay interest. I think it would be a good idea to only offer the two payment option for stays that are over a specific dollar amount and more than a specific amount of time in the future.

We received a booking inquiry this morning from a brand new Airbnb user, this is part of what she wrote “Hope you want to have us, we are sweet family and guiet and my english is not very good.:)) I can pay the first part of your cottage if i only get all papers what this system wants.” I thought the offer of part payment was due to her inexperience of the Airbnb system, now I’m wondering if she was referring to this new payment plan. I really wish us hosts were told in advance of any such experiments.

As an update to all, this option disappeared from my listing, the same way it appeared - without my involvement or say. But, for this one I am happy :blush:

1 Like

dont worry totally normal - if you have long term bookings ie several months as i do for one of the rooms -the guest gives thier credit details and they have checks to prove they can pay - and it comes out in installments like renting a normal place by direct debit

Can I just say, as a guest, this is awesome. I often book months in advance for work trips (I need to book now for Feb/Mar 2018) and it’s annoying for cash flow and book keeping when you have to pay the entire amount upfront