Book guests with a 3-star review?

I would accept the booking, that’s why I am on instant book. Heads in Beds

RR

3 Likes

Follow your gut instinct and decline that request to book. I rather accept guests with zero reviews than guests with 3 stars.

1 Like

I’d be wary of anyone who described themselves as an “exemplary guest”.

3 Likes

And I am not wary of anyone… Well so far at least.

RR

RR

1 Like

If I understand correctly, the potentially risky stay is 6 weeks out, and not on Air? We would almost certainly decline and bank on getting a less risky booking. We would not bother with a Q&A with the guest.

The only way we would consider it is with a sizable security and damage deposit up front - and take lots of photos and even a video before their stay. And do an in-person check-in. Not on Air is better in this case - as you can have a real security deposit and no bs from some air cs agent.

1 Like

Well, I must have imagined the lovely review a host left for me last year.

No it’s a forum for Airbnb hosts, other listing channels such as VRBO may have their own forums.

Some hosts here do list on other channels, but our expertise is mainly around Airbnb.

You are welcome here:)

RR

1 Like

Hello, Kelly, we are hosts on both platforms but get most of our guests from VRBO. I agree that the VRBO guest rating system is completely useless without any words attached.

Frankly, I’d ignore the review since you really can’t get any useful information about it. BUT - my antenna would be up. I presume you have an ironclad contract that prohibits parties, and is clear on the guest’s responsibility for damage. And you should require the guest to actually sign the contract (either physically or electronically), not just “click to accept”. The difference between signing and clicking can chase off bad guests!

You can also call the guest after accepting their booking and talk through their expectations. Many “old” VRBO hosts call their guests before the guest shows up just.

Since you live 20 minutes away, I’d meet these guests in person even if you don’t normally greet guests. Show them around the house, get a feel for them in person. Point out your surveillance cameras if you are still a little uncomfortable with them after meeting them.

Good luck!

5 Likes

It’s possible that you imagined that the host’s written response to your review of the host/property was something else. That is the only place we have a field to write in.

Thank you! Update: he messaged back and they found another property (which is surprising because we are booked solid in our area for large homes). Regardless, problem solved! I have learned a lot for the next time, though. Thank you so much!

1 Like