Board Games: Could be enjoyable for guests to have some?

my son would go to that in a heartbeat.

It sounds a bit interesting, but board games have such variation. I wonder what the convention is about.

I have seen on TV people going to Star Trek conventions and stuffā€¦yikes!!! - I donā€™t even think I have ever watched an entire episodeā€¦lol

I go to Xena conventions so I get it! The board gamers are into pretty complex games I donā€™t have the attention span for. They think Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are introductory!

2 Likes

Pretty sure it is not for monopoly and such but for the ones I mentioned aboveā€¦

1 Like

Hahahā€¦I just looked up ā€œXenaā€ and is that the same as the warrior princess I found on the internet? - lol.

OKā€¦my guests checking in tomorrow - on their profile summary it said ā€œPokemon all the time.ā€ - they were the same ones who asked about accessing Netflix. They do have a Roku they are bringing. They have kids and will only be there 4 days. But I am wondering if ā€œPokemon all the timeā€ is code word for anything I should be concerned aboutā€¦lol

1 Like

I donā€™t know if itā€™s a code word but Iā€™ve been promoting the fact that our listing has several pokestops nearby :wink:

1 Like

I think Kona said those Pokemon virtual things are in rural areas too now. I just hope my guests can recognize they are looking at a real bear, and not some cartoon through their phone lensā€¦lol.

2 Likes

I live in the boonies, and while my sister was here, she and her son were collecting pokemons from my back yard, the beach, all over (when they had cell service).

2 Likes

Yup, the warrior princess!

2 Likes

My husband and I are board game geeks, though maybe not as serious as some of our friends who go to conventions practically every weekend. ALL the games everyone has mentioned are considered introductory! If you have your board game geek friends over and they see your collection of 100 board games that no one except a geek has ever heard of, they sniff and go ā€œwell, itā€™s a start.ā€ Geeks can be total snobs on the subject.

That said, I wouldnā€™t leave out any game for guests to play unless you donā€™t care how many pieces it has. Most games can be ruined by losing just one or two key items.

3 Likes

I am so impressed every time I read this forum! And I mean that sincerely :slight_smile:

My decision to chuck Scrabble was not taken lightly. But I can see I made the right decision :slight_smile:

Games like that get very heatedā€¦

Connect Four is a great one for two players. We have that downstairs and have stolen it back on a number of occasions. Also, we have a father of three that stays here every couple of months with his kids and they always play Risk. I put it back down there just for them. :blush:

Monopoly was down there for a while, but after the money got all crumpled and covered with kid boogers I rescinded that. :confused:

1 Like

We purchase games at the thrift store. The folks there check to see if the game has all the pieces which is really great. A lot less expensive than buying new. We also can replace lost bits with another purchase. The games usually cost $1.00-$3.00. Our guests have loved the variety of games.

I bought board games on discount at TJ Max(love that store). Noone has ever used any of the games.I dont think they even use my DVD library.They do like the flat screen w apple tv and 200 tv channels though.

Uno, books, cards, twister, puzzles, lego. (the lego got a rave in one review), . Donā€™t know if anything else got played but the twister had been opened. They all fit in the TV cabinet and I wouldnā€™t mind if any of it got lost/damaged. (except for the lego, that comes by special offer only!)

Funnily enough, we had our first request ā€œDo you have any board games?ā€ yesterday. So I got out all our old favourites (Scrabble, Monopoly, Scattergories - my favourite, but that timer is so scary! - Pictionary and an amazingly complicated Harry Potter game thatā€™s a bit like Cluedo) and have now decided to leave them in the apartment, particularly as we donā€™t have a TV there.

Interesting hearing about the new games ā€¦ we used to play Diplomacy which was very popular in the 1970s - a bit like a more complicated Risk - and games would go on till about 7 in the morning! Most addictive game ever! Hmm, wonder if I should get that old box down from the attic?

2 Likes

My husband loves Diplomacy. I tried to play once and gave up after a half hour!

1 Like

You wouldnā€™t even have got your fleet to the Black Sea in that time!

I suggest Backgammon. We have a Chess board and a few others but a brief instruction card will have potential players hooked. Backgammon dates back several thousand years.

dude, this is a very old thread, rebooted by a spammer.