Bleach marks on my linen!

@Arlene_Larsson thank you! Done and done and they arrive on Monday. I mean, this is the thing about good sheets: they last YEARS. As they start to fray a bit I just use them for ourselves. They get even better with age. Good cotton percale sheets are one of life’s little joys. The price - over possibly 10 years - is a pittance.

2 Likes

@ CatskillsGrrl Great!! I’ll be interested to know how you like them. I actually contacted them to see if they’d sell me single sheets but they said they weren’t offering them as singles at this point.

I like white sheets but I would be throwing them out every couple of months due to yellowing. I have done everything bar borax, including chlorine bleach. I think the person who mentioned hard water may have a point. I believe laundries who serve hotels have water softeners. I think grey has its merits.

I like silver grey.

Silver grey is lovely. I don’t think dark sheets are ever acceptable in hospitality. Sheet and bed cleanliness is a HUGE fear for travelers, especially in home sharing.

1 Like

My town has hard water so I don’t think it’s that but perhaps some other mineral in your water. I’d suggest adding what Americans call baking soda to your laundry. They sell it in large packages. Bicarb is what you call it I think?

Yes I have bicarb/soda. So on its own or combined with borax etc.? Feel like I need to be a chemist!

I don’t like dark sheets. They show up white marks. Urgg.

1 Like

The bicarb just “softens” the water. Home water softeners use sodium.

@Jess1 I like that silver grey color. We have that on our own bed (at home). Don’t worry if white doesn’t work for you.

1 Like

Regarding Sheet options (and I too am on TEAM white linen):

Almost 2 years ago, during their January "white sale’ I purchased three (3) sets of Macy’s Hotel brand sheets, pillow cases, with matching duvet covers / shams. They have held up very well (no visible wear) and have had many compliments in reviews. They are very simple higher thread count WHITE cotton. The duvet covers / shams are zippered (rather than buttoned) which makes changing faster.

If you can wait until January, that is truly the best time to purchase bedding products (Macy’s or other). It’s hard to keep up with Macy’s because they are constantly shifting products so I don’t think I can get the exact linens I purchased. Here is a link to what they currently offer.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/hotel-collection-4-pc-sheet-set-525-thread-count-cotton-created-for-macys?ID=1607181&CategoryID=25045&RVI=Browse_2&tdp=cm_choiceId~z1607181~xcm_pos~zPos2

A recent picture of 2 year old bedding. (FYI: The yellow/grey coverlet and pillow are Target Project 62 brand)

1 Like

@HH_AZ that is lovely. And I agree about the white sales. I purchased all my current towels last January l/February when JCPenney was having their sale on their waffle towels - which I love. A user here turned me on to them and they are fantastic. I prefer the texture to the super fluffy. They are super absorbent and dry quickly.

I offer a vintage, rustic property, so my bed is also more rustic, rather than hotel chic. But it is crisp white sheets, a light cotton blanket and a heavy denim duvet for those cold mountain nights. Oddly, I’ve gotten compliments on the heavy duvet - it is pretty heavy and it somewhat preceded the trend of weighted blankets for anxiety. I would like to think I started that. :wink:

3 Likes

‘Rustic Minimalism’ at its best. Catskills done right.

Lol! Rustic Maximalism is more like it. I have a bit too much stuff to be a minimalist. :wink:

1 Like

@KKC by the way, you mentioned microfiber above? This is what my favorite consumer review site says about microfiber sheets:

Don’t get alternative fibers

We’re commonly asked about sheets made from bamboo (viscose rayon), microfiber, and other alternative fibers. After spending 13 hours researching the many different types of alternative sheeting fabrics, we think that most people are better off sticking with cotton or linen. Bamboo viscose can feel very soft against the skin, but it’s produced with a solvent that can cause air and water pollution (and cause serious health problems for factory workers). Microfiber sheets tend to be pretty affordable, but washing that fabric contributes to polluting lakes and oceans with synthetic threads. Lyocell, another type of rayon often branded as Tencel, seems promising because it’s less environmentally impactful, but sheets made from that fiber tend to be more expensive than cotton. In the end, all of our experts recommended sheets made from cotton or linen anyway, so we’ve decided to pass on testing these other sheeting fabrics.

4 Likes

Oxyclean! I use Oxy in every load of my white sheets and towels, they always look bright. If your whites are going yellow, have you had the water tested? If it’s the water, it can be treated.

1 Like

It sounds like hard water is indeed your problem. If you get a water softener the yellowing problem would probably go away. It would be easier to clean your shower, too, and your glasses and other glassware would sparkle where they don’t now.

She probably didn’t realize that the cream would have that effect. I would say nothing in the review. You both agreed to a cost for the damage.

Yes a water softener might be good. Too expensive for me though and I’m hoping to move one day.

Our water here is so hard that last time I turned the tap on it wanted to fight me :smile:

Seriously though, I need to descale the apartment kettles every two to three weeks. Washing machines and dishwasher every two weeks and we only use bottled water in our coffee machine.

Still looking for an affordable solution unfortunately.

JF