Big Thank You from Airbnb. True story

Sent me a message asking me to choose between three small gifts. I chose the Airbnb keyring. Which looks great by the way. And a few days later it was delivered.

Now you have to tell me how it works that you get cash thrown at by Airbnb. Am sure the whole site is interested. I certainly am. Cheers

4 Likes

If somebody books late, within the no refund time, and then cancels on the same day I refund them. Golden rule: I once booked a motel in US and had to cancel a couple of hours later when my car broke down, but because it was less than 24 hours from check in they charged me the full amount. Told myself I would never do that to someone else.

2 Likes

I got a keyring too - terrific and useful. I always offer refunds to guests who I know will not be happy in “acts of god” circumstances. It is being a good human.

2 Likes

Me too, five times!! We live in a remote location and the road is not always passable. I have no cancellation fees. Never so much as a thank you.

1 Like

Ironically I am currently in an Airbnb as a guest that ended up being 13 long blocks from where I expected it to be. The general area blue circle on the listing before booking was wrong, the detailed map in my itinerary after booking was very wrong, and my host is one that doesn’t give the exact address until just before the travel date. As a guest I am frustrated, I have difficulty walking, the event I’m attending has limited parking, and I had no time to look for another place (especially if it means losing my money I paid for this one.) I notified the host of the problems with the maps but he basically blew me off in his response. Self check in and he is out of town so I can’t have a face to face talk with him. I won’t mark him down on location because it isn’t his fault Air misrepresented his place, however, after I booked but before my stay I noticed he clarified his section of town in the description. That tells me he is aware of the issue - wish he had reached out to let me know so I could have made an informed decision on if this was acceptable or not.

1 Like

You can’t assume it’s not his fault. There are hosts who convince Airbnb to move the location on the map for “privacy” reasons. Or maybe there are other reasons. I’ve seen a number of listings where the description and the spot on the map don’t align. Sadly it’s really become incumbent on the guest to ask specifically if they have questions about the location. I’m considering an Airbnb for an upcoming trip and am looking for something near Barclays Center in NY. A big city like that is very different that what I’m used to and what seems close to me and close to a native might not be the same. So I will specifically ask “how long will it take me to walk to Barclay’s center from your house?” Of course I’ll also be staying in a home where the family lives because that’s the NYC legal requirement. It’s hard to lie about it when you have to face the person.

3 Likes

Seems very harsh! People make mistakes and we are all prone to it.

Update - he had several things wrong in his listing…amenities were to include breakfast - not provided. Use of kitchen - only ONE pot! Shampoo - missing. On Site Parking provided - not, had to park on street (plenty but really?)

Not listed as an amenity but expected: No place to put clothes, had to live out of a suitcase.

Other than that - great place! Provided a turntable and real records, lots of tv channels, great water pressure in the shower, very cute but minimal decor.

He has only been doing Air for a couple of months. 7 very positive reviews. I chose to write him a letter outlining what I thought he did very well and the areas that others would ding him on and didn’t review. Also recommended he stay in his place for a week and see what e would be reaching for and either provide it or tell people to bring it in his welcoming message. Also, he has never traveled Airbnb, unless it was with someone else’s account, so I recommended he stay in a few. Invited him to ours and said we would welcome feedback.

1 Like

Let us know how he reacts.

I stayed in a luxury home last week that was 100s per night (with a group of friends for the record, I could never afford this on my own). There were 8 women in the group. The 3.5 baths had 12 rolls of TP for the week. There were also two bidets in the home but none of us are used to using them. In my private feedback I told him that we ended up having enough but had to move rolls around from room to room and that’s the kind of amenity I don’t want to think twice about. I pointedly remarked in private feedback that women of menstruating age might need more than one roll a week. We also weren’t even there for about 30 hours overnight. I I think he’s just clueless. He has 72 5 star reviews.

For the record, I would have gone to buy more because he gave me a $100 break on the price. But at his price point and market he could do better.

I feel bad saying this but I’d never stay at a place with that few reviews unless I knew the host. Yes, I did when I started but now I don’t want to be the guinea pig.

2 Likes

I have done this as well. Common courtesy, esp. when the mistake is discovered quickly after booking. I’ve also had a guest who canceled after they’d held the reservation for a whole month. I told her I would refund her the amount I was due to receive IF someone else booked those dates. When someone did several weeks later, I sent the original guest the refund. No “thank you” from either her OR Air. Harumpf…

2 Likes

He responded with a brief note “I have only been hosting since the middle of June - thank you for the tips.”

2 Likes

Similar thing happened to me. Guest booked for 28 days without reading my house rules. My house rules expressly say “No kitchen privileges at this Airbnb.” (I have since limited the number of days a guest can stay at our Airbnb.) Guest would have lost all of his money if he cancelled, If I cancelled, I would have lost the traction I have earned toward super-host status. The only work-around was to ‘mutually cancel’. I had to talk with an Airbnb supervisor to make it happen, but I explained to her that "It’s to Airbnb’s advantage to keep good hosts who are willing to look out for the best interest of guests. Seriously, I have the phone numbers for Airbnb on speed-dial!

1 Like

Yup. And when I make mistakes I take responsibility for them and LEARN from them.

He may have but just not been reviewed as a guest, just like you didn’t review him as a host…

Ooo do share @cooperjto in what situations do they throw cash at you…I want some too :slight_smile:

A few weeks ago I had guests who made a minor mess of my place and appeared to have had a party - I found half a leftover birthday cake on the kitchen counter and about 24 glasses and mugs used in one night, which seemed odd considering there were supposed to be only 3 people there.

Rather than file a claim with the guest, I called Airbnb and provided the circumstantial evidence that there were more than 3 people there.

The Airbnb rep contacted the guest, who claimed that it was indeed just 3 of them. The Airbnb rep then “talked this case over with [their] team” and offered me an additional 50% of my nightly rate for that night ($127.64 USD, to be precise) as a “one time courtesy”. Since the mess wasn’t that bad I decided to take the money and run!

There have been a few times where they made similar offers where the guests were clearly at fault for one thing or another but it was too much trouble to actually establish blame. I’ve found that Airbnb is generally quite good about resolving damage claims.

2 Likes

@cooperjto Wow! I am so jealous!!!

He’s also in a different price range than us. He brings in more money so they’re more willing to do revenue sharing. :wink:

Ah! Very good point. Thanx for helping temper my “green” and bring me back to reality! :wink:

@sarah1

Thanks for that nice story and I have to chime in that I’ve had exactly the same.

Just had a difficult and perhaps dishonest guest and had to contact cs.

They thanked me profusely for my patience and everything I had done for this person, called me back multiple times to check up on the situation, etc.

I was amazed since we see so many people on this forum with problems much bigger than mine who don’t get adequate support . I wasn’t dealing with damage, illicit activity or anything.

Only thing I can figure is how you handle the situation on the platform is super important. It’s also probably better to open a ticket pre-emptively than to wait for something to escalate.

Perhaps having your calendar full of money-making future reservations factors into it. Perhaps your history of transactions and reviews and also how you have approached the problem.