Big Brother Airbnb

I’ve recently joineds as a host at Airbnb but I’m already fed up with the arrogant instructions I’m given by the management. My latest classic was that a couple arrived and checked in to the bedroom. They left the premises after 10 minutes and then the man returned to say they were not expecting to rent just a room. Obviously they had’nt bothered to read the information on my website. They then left. Now I’ve received a review from the couple stating “good location” and then marking the review with 3 stars. Airbnb in their wisdom then sent me an email today to say that I’ve got to improve on my points if I wish to continue. Strangely Airbnb wanted me to write a review as well!!

Already I’m thinking of leaving Airbnb and am so disappointed that the company doesn’t support new hosts but just sends rather offensive reminders to improve.

You have to ignore the automated messages. Guests not reading properly is quite common. We need to think of more creative, repetitive and numerous ways of getting information into guests heads.

2 Likes

They don’t send the emails, bots do. It is all automated.

Do review this guest, this is what I would say:

I cannot recommend this guest, X did not read listing information and was upset that this is a shared house listing and left after 10 minutes.

Thumbs down.

Then the information gets seen by next guest, more people read reviews than the actual listings I am guessing.

RR

9 Likes

Agreed but there’s something very arrogant about Airbnb’s cavalier way of dealing with hosts - especially ones like myself who put a lot of effort in providing good service

2 Likes

It’s just a lack of etiquette.

Write your review, close this Airbnb account and open new one.
Otherwise, this negative review will haunt you for a long time

If this is a new hosting account and you have little or no reviews yet then you have nothing to loose.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why Airbnb should support new hosts. Our hosting businesses are our own affair and I’m sure that most of us wouldn’t want them interfering. We don’t pay Airbnb a tuition fee.

I’m not getting why this is strange?

2 Likes

As was pointed out, these are automated emails. I think of myself as “the management.” Airbnb works for me, not I for them. They are just the booking and payment platform I use. I ignore their emails and price tips and warnings.

7 Likes

Stop thinking of Airbnb as your Mommy!

Air is nothing more than a marketing company you hire for very little outlay to market your rental worldwide. Think you can do better/cheaper? Try.

1 Like

Does it work better if your welcome message for the booking starts with something like “thanks for staying with us! Kindly note this is a private room listing and host lives onesite…etc”

2 Likes

Yes. Good idea. It seems that many guests don’t bother to read further than the first page of the ad

If this kind of thing happens with a guest always leave a factual review.

To prevent this thing from happening, always send a message to the guest confirming what they have reserved, from when to when and for how many guests.

Emails from AirBnB, automate your email so they automatically go into a separate folder and just let them be. :rofl: No, do read them but don’t take them to heart. If you just started off, consider making a new host account.

1 Like

Because the guests stayed only 10 minutes

If you not already done it include that is only a room in the title. And then on the first sentence. Having to read a whole page to find out if its shared is bad marketing. Should be the first thing you say

You’re not alone in being irritated by the tone of the Airbnb e-mails. They use a lot of Silicon Valley marketing speak and can be condescending as hell. Don’t think of them as your boss. They’re one of the less expensive options for vacation rental listings and the only (sucessful) one I know of for private rooms.

And people really don’t read!

I came up with a small blurb that covers the major dissatisfiers which I send just after they’ve booked. It’s helped a lot. “Thanks for reserving blah blah… If you haven’t already done so, please read the listing and house rules to ensure the suite will suit your needs. Some common mismatches are that the suite is the second story of my house. I live downstairs with a cat, etc.”

4 Likes

Except they can kick you off their platform so in that case, they are in control. You can’t do squat to them.

That is true and for those of us who rent a room in our homes, it can be a real threat because there is no adequate substitute in that space…yet. However, unless you do things like spy on guests with cameras, make sexual advances, or discriminate they are probably not going to ban you permanently. We have hosts on this platform who were suspended then reinstated. We have hosts with solid 4 stars across the board who get warned and suspended for a week and then reinstated. And if you get kicked off you can look into temp housing for traveling medical professionals, networking, having your own website.

I’ve not had the problems that so many people seem to have so maybe I’m talking out of turn but I just can’t imagine the scenario where I let Airbnb be the boss of me.

4 Likes

After a few guests upset that they weren’t getting a whole/entire rental (for a pittance, if that were the case), I ALWAYS send a welcome message along the lines Daniel suggests to you. I also include the presence of our cats, and mention we’re not suitable for some people with allergies, together with a line that I fully understand if they need to cancel if we are not a good fit for them. I’ve not had a problem for ages.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t had any problems either. After four years I can still say that!

2 Likes

Don’t you know? Airbnb has no respect for you as a person - to them you are nothing but a cashew to be milked at their convenience …