Beds and Daybeds

Hi

Does anyone on here use an Ikea Hemnes day bed like this? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50080315/

I am looking at getting this so I can you it as a single, double or twin bed.

However, I have read poor reviews about Ikea mattresses. I thought it should be simple to source another euro size single mattress from another retailer. The problem is that there seems to be a size difference between Ikea and others.

If anyone has this daybed how did you and your guests find the mattresses that came with the Ikea day bed. Which specific mattress did you buy - I think there are soft and firm.

Also,if your sourced from another supplier in the UK who was the retailer and which bed did you get and what has been the feedback in terms of comfort.

Thanks

Hi Fraggles,

I am afraid I have not tried this bed before, nor ones similar to it. All I know is that Ikea is notorious for making it so that you can only use their bases and mattresses and cannot combine with any other brand. Although one thing I will say about Ikea is that they are one of the cheaper in the market.

I have done a bit of research and here are a few links to other companies in the UK that may have what you are looking for. I would also recommend going for a middle to firm range, as that it what most guests seem to prefer, rather than soft.

Also, all the sales are on at the moment!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/pictures/6495683/10-of-the-best-day-beds.html
http://www.bedroomworld.co.uk/c/Day_Beds.htm

1 Like

I also want to know the answer to this so will look at those links, thanks :smile:

Thank you Simply Hospitality.

I have a very similar IKEA bed…it is a twin with a twin beneath it that pulls out. I didn’t buy the IKEA mattresses. I bought two mattresses at a mattress shop right around the corner from my home. They sell things that look as though they’ve fallen off the back of a lorry (truck in Canada) and so for $200 I got two very good twin mattresses. I have no idea of the quality of IKEAs mattresses, but would not be surprised if the quality of their twins wasn’t good. It’s hit and miss with them, I think. I have IKEA pillows that I really wish I hadn’t bothered buying, they are so soft and shapeless. I’m very happy with the frame of my bed, though. It’s worked out very well for me.

I should add that you should also invest in a high quality mattress cover, one that repels liquid without being crinkly. I had to pay almost 100 each for those!

Hi Reeny

So do you tend to get more individuals using it as a single or couples or two individuals booking the room?

I have this daybed in a second home and I like it. Be aware that it only works as a single or a double bed, you cannot use it as a twin. Also have in mind that it is a bit complicated to assemble, and I am someone who just love to assemble Ikea furnitureI think it took me 3 to 4 hours to assemble with an electric screwdriver.

I have bought Ikea matresses, but the model I have is not available anymore. In my Airbnb unit (one double and two twin beds, I host mostly families with two children), I have Ikea Malvik matresses and both my partner (185cm and 90kg) and I (165cm and 50kg) like them (we sometimes sleep in the unit we rent to check that everything is OK). So far no guest commented on the matresses.

Reeny
Is the bed in your current home? Would you be willing to measure it please? The website says the mattress is 80cm yet in the UK euro size mattress are 90cm in width. I wonder if the actual space for the bed and the trundle would take a 90cm mattress even though the Ikea ones are 80cm.
Would this be possible at all please?
Thank you.

Hi Fraggles, I can’t measure it because it’s in the condo unit, which is occupied at the moment. I get all sorts of uses for it. Sometimes it’s for two kids, sometimes it’s couples, friends, etc. All configurations have happened. I will send you my listing in a private message. There is a photograph of it near the end of the series of photos. I can’t find the bed itself on the IKEA website for some reason. Dunno why not.

Thank you so much Reeny.

I googled it and found it. It’s called SVARTA. There is a frame with space for a sliding frame below it.

It doesn’t look like much, but with a nice duvet it works well.

Thanks for your help.

Have you been into the store to look at it? the mattresses arent that great for the day beds but they are so neat! I’d love to get one. I would suggest buying a foam topped off amazon, there quite cheap, best investment ever (and we have an ikea bed and mattress)

(not the cheapest one on there ^)

Hi,
My 8-y-o daughter has this bed in her room. I agree with OP that it was somewhat difficult to assemble, and I’ve done dozens of large ikea pieces so I know what I’m doing. But not impossible, just a lot of moving parts: the lower bed is an entire drawer and it actually has two drawers inside it.
I didn’t use an ikea mattress. I used a single mattress from a different shop. Neither my daughter nor I noticed the slight difference in size. I do also have an ikea mattress for the extra part of the bed but we’ve never used that–it will be for sleepovers. Since the ikea mattress came rolled up I assumed it was more of a futon-style but it’s not; it’s a spring mattress, so as soon as you get it out of the bag it wants to be its normal shape, which means you need a very large closet to store it. If you’re considering this bed for occasional use on airbnb, I would get an aerobed or similar mattress instead.
Bill

We have the Coaster daybed in dark wood ( here both). We bought 2 of the foam mattresses they sell to go with it and they are usually stacked for DS to sleep on. One sheet fits around both. If we were to pull it out we’d just separate them. I think Ikea or other sellers do the same

I have this exact bed in one of my listings and it works great. It is nice for guests to have the different bed options depending on their group. It probably isn’t the most comfortable mattress ever, but I have never received any complaints about it.

I have a similar IKEA sofabed (double size), and if guests need to use it, I warn them beforehand, it can sleep 1 adult or 2 young children. They need to think carefully if two adults want to sleep in it (two slim persons would be fine for a few nights, otherwise it is not comfortable for two adults). I tried and myself alone is no problem and one more person is impossible considering my size (165cm, 70kg).

Btw, the mattress is not as good as a real bed mattress and many people find it much less comfortable, but some people don’t mind. I only used the sofabed twice since my listing, and both times, it is a teenager sleeping in it and no complaint so far.

This is not for guests to sleep on, but I have an outdoor day bed from Urbani Furniture. It is by the pool and gives a luxury kind of resort look :slight_smile: I think I’m able to charge quite a lot more per night and get more bookings because of it. It’s a large wicker one with a canopy and blue cushions.