Be wary of scammers during this difficult time

This is a site for hosts only not guests, a support forum for hosts. Are you a host?

Yes. Who are you? …

You’re telling one of the forum moderators what the forum is about? That’s pretty funny.

4 Likes

People really think we owe them something … as if they paid to join.

2 Likes

Who would have known?

2 Likes

But @HH_AZ, didn’t you read the part that says “There’s notthing for you tto worryy aboutt”? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I am hesitant about a booking that says he is here for work in Tampa. He will come with his family and wanted to book the next day. Booking went right through and I want to cancel. However, we will need to pay a fee and it will affect our “superhost” status in the future (we are new hosts).

This sounds like he Instant Booked? Then call in and tell them you’re uncomfortable with the booking. And maybe consider taking IB off for now.

2 Likes

Best advice today. Seriously.

JF

4 Likes

We got a similar query maybe a year ago. We flagged it and reported the same to Airbnb. I guess that was the end of it.

Good move.

Welcome to the forum @Jasii we look forward to your contributions.

RR

We’ve received 3 scams within the last week. Here’s the 1st one I reported to Airbnb:

“ Hi, Alex James Property Group! l am Airlike. I’m going to have a business trip to Atlanta. 1 was l00king through Airbnb tto find some apartments there and I was tthinking tto book yourr apartment There is something about my booking that I would like to discuss with you I have decided actually not to stay in your apartment upon arrival but tto sstay at myy friend’s house insteadd. What I am thinking about is to stay at my friend’s house once I’m there instead of checking into your apartment. Here’s myy suggesttion. Book your apartment, never move in and just share the rental fee DDoes it sound likee a p1an tto you? If you find this proposal as intriguing as I do p1ease gett bback tto me as soon as you can. You could text me in VVaz zap. This is my number onne niine fiive foour thrree twwo siix twwo niine zeero onne”

1 Like

This was a scam request we received through HomeAway. When I reported it, HA said “he was already in their system as flagged“. Interesting they still got through to make another request ???

“Hello

My company will be taking care of the vacation so I can only make the
payment by sending you a company or certified check for the payment, kindly
get back to me with the mailing information and total quote for the night
and also feel free to leave me a text on xxx-xxx-xxxx so we can further
discuss this and Alternatively my direct email address is ----@--------.— and it’s also attached is in the information.”

1 Like

We received the same spam request (reply #53 below)!

1 Like

It’s astounding that they haven’t removed this account, as it seems that thousands of hosts have gotten these scam messages from “Airlift”. Sometimes I wonder if some of these scams and hacks aren’t being perpetrated by Airbnb employees. They have access to all these accounts and sourcing out to third world countries where you can pay poor wages seems ripe for attracting potential scammers to the job.

1 Like

These are perpetuated by bots. One person can program scamming for millions.

Yes, I realize that. But have you ever suspected that it could be an inside job? Applying for a job as an Airbnb CS rep seems like it could attract some criminals who want to gain access to accounts.

No, I haven’t. That doesn’t make sense to me but anything is possible.

I’ve gotten a lot of last minute requests at like 11pm for same day booking from locals. I’ve always had bad experience with locals. What is going on with these people? What are they doing?

Just turn off same day bookings and almost all the troublesome local booking attempts will go away.