Basic airbnb requirements for a host

@Butterfly h20 the plants? Sounds as though she should be paying you!

1 Like

Yes and if you are looking at properties’ The amenity list will show shampoo slashed out along with other items not provided at the end of the list.

1 Like

Are they? There are lots of budget listings in my town and every town I search as a guest. As far as I know there is no data that says Airbnb has xx amount of turnover of hosts, or median price of listing has gone up xx%. We are offering anecdotes, not data.

Just because you aren’t getting 60 year old hippies doesn’t mean no airbnbs in your area are getting them.

:bear: Bears! Can they get into wheelie bins as well? Wheelie bins were introduced in the UK to stop urban :fox_face: foxes. In my city we have a roundabout in the centre called The Bear Pit because it used to host bear fighting a couple of hundred years ago. Extinct a long time ago, but there’s occasionally talk of reintroduction in Scotland, not so popular. We have to separate food waste so I guess that would discourage bears.

Bristol???

Elementary dear Watson.

1 Like

I think it is unreasonable to have to have sheets washed every three / four days, and truly I think your complaints are unreasonable. ( only saying this because you did ask ! ) As many on this site often say: " this guest belongs in a hotel".
Hopefully the host gives you an honest online review so you will both be even at the end of the stay.
No, I don’t provide laundry detergent to guests using the washer / dryer.
I suspect it is both possible and probable that the toilet paper holder was not empty upon your arrival…perhaps the loo had just one roll, but then you had to purchase your own 2 week supply. While I provide more, and one roll is very scarce, I think anyone staying 2 weeks would have to purchase additional stock and provisioning in any self catering scenario, which this obviously was.
If you arrived to no paper at all…zero…that would be a true negative. Most guests go into the facilities right away after traveling and there has to be something to start.
RE: About your justification for having a purchase of another set of sheets - I would expect everyone in your group could stay awake during washing and drying.

1 Like

I was also under the impression that Essentials were … essential. I just booked a place in Italy and got a message back saying I could rent sheets for €8, towels €6 per person. What?

And this is exactly where reviews are broken.
“I expected a tennis court but none was supplied”
=one star review which won’t be removed

2 Likes

Hey @Lynnie!
Italy is loooovely!
What does those rental prices mean?

It’s 14 EUR pr. person pr day for sheets and a towel? How many are you going? It could end up expensive!

But I’m quite sure that it is required for hosts to provide those linens, towels as they are essential
I don’t think they’re allowed to charge extra for basics so I’d write them and say you expect those to be there without xtra charges. Of course you use the app, and if they don’t comply you contact CS.
Where are you going to?

My bad Lynnie!
Just looked at the website and found this:

Essential amenities

We recommend all hosts provide the essential amenities so guests have what they need to be comfortable and have a good night’s rest.

• Toilet paper

• Soap

• Linens/sheets

• At least one towel per booked guest

• At least one pillow per booked guest

The key word is recommended so I was mistaken . It is up to the host to provide whatever they want - even though I would never book a place without sheets and towels included!

1. It is not required. AirBnB has acknowledged that in some “STR-cultures” providing linen is not standard. And they allow a host not to provide them.

2. AirBnB is being flooded with Agencies putting hundreds of listings up against bottom rates, and then charging huge amounts cash upon arrival. AirBnB is doing nothing about that, because these businesses generate a huge amount of revenue

Example 1: https://www.airbnb.nl/rooms/24459895 (Read description)

Example 2; https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/16161097 (Check the policies)

Airbnb tried to require these “essentials” but backed down.

The first one was in a language I cannot read. The second one was very long and I only skimmed. But if I wanted to book it I would read the entire thing and ask any questions I might have before booking.

Going to Villafelice to visit Arce (Frosinone).
There was nothing under extra Costs about sheets or towels.
(and I wouldn’t think to look because I would assume those were basic like lightbulbs!)

So did you cancel the reservation, take your own essentials or stay and pay?

I had a chat with AirBnB (while still under the impression Essentials were essential), told host of my surprise. (It was not under ‘Know before you Go’, ‘You must also acknowledge’ or ‘Additional Prices’.) The translation was from a foreign language and could have been clearer. The host is in another country so maybe the price is to get the items laundered at a laundromat. I am planning to get sheets at IKEA on the drive to the place because you are right Christian, with 4 of us, even in three beds, it would add up!