Bangkok airbnb - managing rentals from australia

Hi everyone Im already running airbnb in Australia, I’m looking into subletting a condo in Bangkok on airbnb and doing my research.
My concern being an Aussie is that I could somehow get ripped off, I would be managing it all from Australia with permission from the owners to sub rent.
If anyone is doing this and wants to share some advice or wisdom I look forward to hearing from you

1 Like

Good luck managing anything in Thailand from Australia. You need someone trustworthy on the ground.

1 Like

I’d get someone trustworthy to manage on place in case There is a pb because there will be. I manage 5 apartments in Tokyo while still living nearby, I made sure everything can be taken care of even when I can’t be around. For instance, I send a manual to my guests ( very long about 40 pages) where I explain about access, how to use appliances, what to do in case the power goes off( earthquake pbs)… I pay the cleaning team extra in case I need them to do something when I can’t( out on business trips quite often).
It’s been working like a charm for over a year now.
Bkk is on my list as well to start someday.

1 Like

Wow, five properties and still have a day job? That’s awesome. We just have one (wholly self managed, though) and in high season it really occupies a lot of free time.
Just curious - can you share your earthquake instructions?

Well if you can call being an entrepreneur a day job;) earthquake instructions are pretty easy. Government helps out with pamphlets but since everything is in Japanese translation is a must. And by translation I mean interpretation. You don’t want to have your guests freak out reading about that. So it is mainly things like where to go in case of an earthquake, if at home what to do, when power goes off what switch to turn up or down, toll free numbers to contact. I also make sure to send the guest a link of earthquake warnings when they’re staying. They get a warning a minute or two before it happens. Perks of living like a local. Nothing bad has happened so far it’s just to ease their worries cuz Japan is know for that.

1 Like

I live in Bangkok and have my spare room on Airbnb. At one point I had 2 different rooms when I moved house and had an overlap. I am stalled on whether to have a second room again or even take over 3 rooms round the corner a neighbour has on but doesn’t know how to do properly (she has no bookings so wants to rent the whole place long term). The reason I’m stuck is 1: the profit margin is OK in local terms but not in international terms. If I pay tax on it it’s even more pointless, and 2: it’s probably illegal to do it if you aren’t Thai. The government here is even thinking of stopping people who own condos they live in half the year from renting out the other half when they are away. Even if you have the owners permission some buildings are banning airbnb too. And another thing, I’ve noticed a lot of new hosts and a drop in bookings. A lot of these hosts have no bookings.

1 Like

Hi - hope you managed to find someone for your place in Bangkok? How did it go?

If you are looking or plan on looking in the future for Airbnb property managers or cleaners then I’ve just launched a startup called Airhosta.

Airhosta is a marketplace for connecting with Airbnb and Vacation Rental property managers. But we just don’t include property managers - we’ve got cleaners, concierge experts, interior designers, handymen, right through to guest activities and adventures and hospitality services. You list what you need and you get vetted service providers coming to you instead.
Feel free to Contact Us if you have any questions.