Bad guest review/claim verbiage help needed

I wonder if this is a new policy or if the rep. was really cool.

2 Likes

LOL Maybe? Iā€™ve always had really great customer service when I call. In my case, I called 20 minutes after the guy left and the place was trashed. The rep walked me through how to make a claim and submit all the receipts. For all I know while he was walking me through what to do he was blocking the guest from reviewing.

1 Like

Unfortunately xx guest violated numerous house rules and behaved disrespectfully.

1. Guest booked for 1, max occupancy is 6; 12 people spent the night. House rules state No unregistered guests or visitors.
  2. Asphalt has empty brass shells where several shot targets with a semiautomatic rifle. I observed guests shooting a firearm toward a neighborā€™s property.
  3. Even though I have a 300 yard long paved driveway with parking spaces for 4 cars at least not to mention the paved driveway itself, a large 4 door truck was parked in my front yard to serve as a boom box for those in my front yard and porch.
  4. Even though the crowd was male and female at least 4 of the men choose to urinate in the yard, in my flower beds, and off my deck.
  5. I have a rule about quite time bring from 10pm-9am.I observed the guests dancing outside till at least 2am. But the truck/boom box had its doors open and the dancing was very near the trucks open door. I also have a no party rule in my house rules.
  6. My electronics locks text me when they are locked and unlocked. All the guests left the property twice for 5+ hours and did not lock the house. I have a house rule about security and locking the doors and windows every time you leave the house.

Obviously a stressful, scary, horrifying and nervewracking experience and I cannot in any way recommend these disrespectful guests.

8 Likes

QUIET time, not QUITE timeā€¦ please fix before posting!

3 Likes

Itā€™s great they signed your guest book because they are assuming your are clueless. Let us know how the house turned out. If they think they cleaned up enough to hide evidence of over occupancy, then you can thank them for the lovely note and ask them to leave a review. You can even type out what they said in the note and ask them to kindly copy and paste it, as Airbnb depends on reviews. If they do that, then review back honestly with all the details. Weā€™ll help you write it later. I am in the ā€œplease detail what happenedā€ camp. This guy deserves not to be in the Airbnb system. Leaving a vague review that he broke house rules doesnā€™t really say much.

I know you may not feel right doing something like getting them to leave a lovely review and striking back - and honestly people can be vengeful and I donā€™t blame you for avoiding the situation with all the alcohol and guns around. They were snaky with you, so you have every right to be snaky back.

Next, I would first confirm with a rep. if the guest can leave a review if you claim for damages, etc. If they can then asking for the extra people may harm your business in the end. I only say this because I recall you getting the place together and am not sure how many reviews you have and how many potential reviews are in your pipeline. I only get several reviews a year from Air, so a nasty review for me would not get buried. But for someone who gets reviews every week, then they can be more bold.

I have read past host experiences where Air says the guest must accept the extra person charges even if it is clear in communication that they are bringing extra people, and that they agree to pay. Others say that as long as it is in house rules and you can show evidence, then they will pay out. Itā€™s a shame itā€™s so hit and miss with how the reps. will decide.

A bunch of drunk and armed bubbas in Georgia? I wouldnā€™t have contronted them either.

8 Likes

No, I agree really. For guests who donā€™t take out the garbage, or what I think of minor infractions, I totally agree that transgressions should be listed in the review. (Iā€™m sure that Iā€™ve ranted about it here somewhere :slight_smile: ) Then potential hosts could make up their own minds. One manā€™s minor transgression is another manā€™s complete nightmare!

But with this little lot Iā€™d want them to be banned from Airbnb altogether and forever. That photograph of the bloke with the gun is downright scary. Chances are that Iā€™d have called the cops just because of that.

So in this instance I think that a detailed review isnā€™t really needed because these people need to be banned forever. Give them a thumbs down, report the details to Airbnb and pester until the profile is gone.

2 Likes

Keep in mindā€¦ the cops wonā€™t do anything. They wontā€™ mediate in a civil matter. (as opposed to a criminal trespass)

The OP gave them permission to be there so she is stuck with them. There might be few exceptions but in most cases, they wonā€™t intervene in Airbnb matters because the guests were given possession of the premises and are in control until their check out. Sadly.

2 Likes

This is exactly what my other half was saying to me. But itā€™s just with all the terrorist activity going on everywhere, thatā€™ was my first thought. Iā€™m not a fearful person at all and not the sort of person who calls the cops at the drop of a hat but the guy with the gun bothers me. I know nothing whatsoever about guns but it looks like a serious piece of equipment to me.

1 Like

Even though they had permission to be there I think shooting a rifle off the porch at a party with alcohol involved would interest the police. Who brings a rifle to a wedding (in USA)? The ex-boyfriend?

7 Likes

In Forsythe County GA, itā€™s the dad.
(I still have relatives in N. GA)

10 Likes

Not my experience at all. I had a case in the resolution centre and the guest was allowed to leave a review. This has happened twice.

I had one early on in about 2014 and they were not blocked. Could they maybe have changed policy? My most recent one was about 6 months ago.

Depends on the review, nothing to stop them leaving a review as a matter of principle, they would need to break the review guidelines.

All the Guest has to do is close their account and or deny everything and then you will have issues, not likely AirBnB would pay anything from their own pocket.

I recently went through the resolution center to claim damages to a lamp. Guest was in denial about it and I figured: time to also request the extra guest charge for the friend he brought over. However, since there was an open ongoing claim with the guest, I wasnā€™t able to log an additional claim.
So you are better off to bundle everything at once. Otherwise you will have to wait until the first claim gets resolved to log the next one.

Guest would have been able to post a review, but somehow we both missed the deadline on that.

1 Like

This happened to me in Jan 2017 (though the guest stayed Dec 2016) and Feb 2017. Iā€™ve talked about my frustrations on both very openly on here so regular posters on here will be familiar with what Iā€™m talking about ā€¦ and will remember how it played out.

Crazy. I guess I was just lucky!

No idea. There are also hosts like @freya who had an open resolution case and during the process a crappy review was left for her by the guest. So I am not sure any blocking went on at allā€¦ perhaps your guest never wrote a review.

2 Likes

I was told by the rep that the guest wouldnā€™t be able to write a review. Guess it was just luck or maybe they had changed the policy that week? Iā€™ve seen an inconsistency with how they handle cases in this forum so it could just be the evolving policies.

1 Like

I think itā€™s different in different countries, in the UK they will intervene in the event of noisy parties/public disorder etc

2 Likes