Bachelor’s thesis interview on smart devices in Airbnb homes

Are you an experienced Airbnb host with installed smart home devices in your Airbnb home/s? Welcome to our project!

An increasing number of Airbnb hosts have used smart home devices to improve guests’ Airbnb experience while also ensuring that their property is safe and secure. However, the use of smart devices inevitably involves user privacy and potential security issues. For example, guests have found hidden cameras in their rooms, smart home devices get hacked thus causing privacy breaches.

We are two Interaction Design students from the Department of Computer and System Sciences at Stockholm University, Sweden, currently carrying out our bachelor’s thesis project. We intend to study how Airbnb hosts reduce the risk of privacy invasion for guests when using smart home devices. Specifically, if you as hosts, are aware of the possible privacy risks of such devices? We are conducting interviews as part of a research study to increase our understanding of hosts’ experience in using and managing such devices. The answers given in the interview will help us to identify existent problems that can then form the basis of our design suggestions and improvements for future smart home devices, which could serve both hosts and guests better.

As an experienced host, you are in an ideal position to provide valuable first-hand information from your own perspective. We are simply trying to capture your experience during hostings in relation to the smart home devices installed in your Airbnb home/s. The interview will be approximately 30-60 minutes long. It will also be performed online due to the Covid-19 restrictions and for the safety of everyone involved, you and us. As an interviewee, you are anonymous and all your data will be used solely for the purpose of this study, you as the respondent will not be identified. A more in-depth consent form will be provided before the interview.

If you have any questions or want to get in touch with us, you are welcome to email us at:

Meryl Ann Lasin lasin.meryl.ann@gmail.com
Mi Zhang zmmwzm@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your interest and participation! We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,
Meryl Ann Lasin & Mi Zhang

Ah FFS, not another one.

€45 and I’m yours, do you need my PayPal or IBAN, I’m done with Amazon vouchers for now.

JF

2 Likes

Meryl and Mi, I’m willing to participate.

1 Like

Hello! Thank you for your interest :smiley:
Do you have an email we could contact you on to send further details?
If so, feel free to send a quick message at lasin.meryl.ann@gmail.com so we can set-up a date and time for the interview :slight_smile:

Best,
Meryl Ann

Oy, yet another person who thinks hosts will jump at the chance to have their time taken up with no recompense.

3 Likes

The only smart things in my listings are the TV’s, and occasionally me!:smile:

4 Likes

I don’t even have a TV, so I guess I’m the only arguably smart thing in my listing.

And my guests have been smart enough to figure out how to turn on a light, open the door with a regular key or adjust the shower temperature without a device other than their fingers. Which hopefully don’t malfunction during their stay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Some of us will so it’s worth them taking the chance. Thank goodness people were willing to help me with my research when I was in school and I didn’t have to pay every single person.

People have no time to help students but they have time to post their complaints here about it.

3 Likes

Let the clap-back trolling of the OP begin. Honestly, are they kidding themselves? They must be…

My cat is smart!

Good one.

I get helping with research for students, but these days are the OPs really students or just market research trolls?

Personally, I have an hour to spend/waste, but not on this.

Touché. But complaining is so much fun.

1 Like

@zmmmmz
What level of smart device information are you seeking?

I only have smart TVs & a ring doorbell — no smart thermostat, door lock, lights, outlets, etc.

@muddy
@JohnF

The research survey is allowed by forum owner.

No one is forcing you to participate. No one is making you read & respond to the post. Feel free to not respond to the request.

Personally I feel we should support student efforts if we can.

Then don’t. It is not a requirement. The site owners permitted this survey request

Hi, Annet3176 !

We are seeking research participants like you. :grinning:
Thank you for your interest in participating in research!
Do you have an email we could contact you on to send further details?
Or you are welcome to get in touch with us via Email: lasin.meryl.ann@gmail.com or zmmwzm@gmail.com so we can set-up a date and time for the interview.

Thanks,
Mi

I had a very nice interview with Meryl Ann and Mi.

1 Like

Hello, @Annet3176

I know this post has been years, but my colleagues and I are conducting a similar project. I was wondering if you are still an Airbnb host and using smart home devices on your property? We would love to talk. We compensate our participants, but were unable to post our study here unless we pay. Please feel free to reply and connect.

Thank you!

What is the compensation?