Baby Scratched our new 4K Smart TV

Is that a special law LA has or something?

Lol haha - that is the logic that should grant my claim as I mention that the studio is strictly for airbnb guest, I sent the claim to airbnb. Thanks

I don’t know if it is a special law here in LA or that it is a airbnb law? But when you book here and you select 5 babies , 1 child and 1 adult you got yourself a mini daycare. Please look at your listing and see if you can add 5 babies? If there is something I can do to change this I would like to know. Thanks

No, you are correct. Airbnb states that infants don’t count as people and don’t incur additional costs. My listing says not safe or suitable for children in the rules but if you want to book for two adults (my max) and add 5 children you can. I’d argue that a guest doesn’t even have to disclose that they are bringing an infant and if you turn them away on arrival then they will be refunded and Airbnb will probably disappear you in the listings a few days in retribution if not just outright suspend you.

1 Like

Not if you require ALL occupants to be declared in your House Rules. I do that and also require they be paid for and I be provided their first and last names.

I once had a woman cancel because she refused to give me the first and last name of her infant. I got the full booking fee. Although, in true Airbnb fashion, they asked if I would be willing to refund against my moderate policy.

NOPE!

Yes, airbnb considers this to be discrimination if you make it hard for them to book, as well as dogs, guest don’t need proof that it is a service dog. So I advertise a studio for 2 guest, but you could have 5 babies under 2 years, 1 child, over 2 and 1 adult, that is 7 people showing up at your door and you can’t turn them away, that is unbelievable. I have no Idea how they get this number 5 babies?

I can turn them away because I have it in my House Rules. Update your House Rules so they can’t stay.

1 Like

It sounds like a mommy party to be honest. I’d be surprised if there aren’t more adults coming too.

If someone complained I don’t think you’d be protected.

Do you have time to show an example if not I can find one, just state not suitable for more than two humans, and very dangerous for babies? Thanks

They can complain but unless they comply they can’t stay. I don’t preclude anyone but I must have them registered, paid for and have the first and last names.

Although I have a listing that is for, let’s take the smallest one which is 2 people, according to Airbnb 2 adults can come and bring an infant. If I don’t want them to I can preclude them based on the number of people being exceeded. I can require them to change to a different listing where there are a minimum of 5 or 12 people. I also require them to pay for that infant and provide it’s full name. I am not precluding the infant but I am requiring them to pay and provide names.

I know this is not quite the same as precluding children and babies (my separate listings are actually child friendly) but at least it provided additional grounds that when the parents don’t comply you can cancel them penalty free without having to pull the child card.

See my response above. It doesn’t really answer the not allowing babies no matter what thing but it does or ent them from bringing 5 babies with them in your 2 person listing.

That’s a pricey screen protector. From the $, I take it this was in the US. Odd, because such things are generally cheaper there than here. Anyway, prices on Amazon India for reference…

This is a Sony Bravia 40in TV (around USD 550) and here is the highest rated 40 in screen protector (around USD 75). Actually, I think even USD 75 is a lot for a bit of glass, but it has good reviews - the seller has other reviews for the same product at different sizes.

I looked at Amazon US too. Not in any great detail, but I didn’t get the impression the screen protectors were so expensive. Though I don’t think I checked any 65in ones.

Hi
Sorry to hear about the TV…

@KKC is spot on with this advice:
I’d also suggest mounting your next TV on a bracket high on the wall where a toddler can’t reach it and where it can’t be knocked over or down by anyone of any size.

It can be hard to “kid-proof” your place, but if you want to make the most of the family market you haven’t got much choice. I think you mentioned you move stuff around usually if you have little one’s visiting? Go back in with a fresh pair of eyes and check for any other potential hazards. Maybe put together a kid checklist re: preparing your rental for families, just as a reminder when you’re up to your eyes in it!

Keep us posted on what Airbnb have to say in terms of resolution, it’s a pity the family aren’t taking responsibility, but these things do happen.

1 Like

@mypictonhouse I can get glass for my 68 Airstream, and its curved…

www.vintagetrailersupply.com

RR

This worries me as we’re going to target families. I think our solution is to mount it and buy cheap tvs. (~$200) so worst case we just get a new one and consider it part of doing business.

Good idea. Mine are all mounted to the wall and they’re mostly 42" LED TV’s I got for about $150 each. I have 7 TV’s total right now. I like the Vizio ones better than the Samsung ones.

Thanks again for all the advise. I did hear back and airbnb are going to pay for the damages and that I need to send them an estimate. I hear to repair this sometimes cost more than the TV, will see and I will let you guys know and how the process works. Thanks again for all your advise.

3 Likes

That is awesome. I had the same issue recently while taking care of my daughter’s AirBnB. Guest caused damage and was really being offensive and attacking my character Real mess. Air took all the steps to ensure the damages were covered.

1 Like

Hi, I bought a 32" TV for the Master bedroom for way less than $200. How much TV are they going to watch? I don’t rent for alot of money, so I suppose it’s all relative, but I say “enough is enough”. I only bought it because my house does rent to families, and a guest with teens asked if we had a second TV, so teens could watch in one room and adults in another. It was a small price to pay to make their stay more pleasant.