Asking for proof of vaccination status as a condition of approval of guest

You should do what you think is best for your business.

Due to the recent changes in IB, I’ve turned it off. I’m going to monitor Airbnb host groups to see if/how the changes effect other hosts. I may turn it back on. My gut feelings about the changes make them feel like trouble. I’ll let others be the test cases.

1 Like

You are the rare person who thinks zebras—-I admit I don’t always think that way (as I sit here with a drippy nose but I always have that when nipping out/in the house during cold temperatures & I feel fine)

I realize that the vax card also gives you their age, which is valuable info for you, and agree that up-to-date vaccinations help keep everyone safer, but from a purely health-conscious standpoint, guests taking a rapid test on arrival is actually a more reliable method of keeping Covid out of your home, since vaccinated people can still get and pass on Covid.

My guest who sent me a screenshot of her card, unbidden, also brought some rapid tests with her (she gets them for free through her workplace and left me 2) and tested herself when she arrived to make sure she hadn’t picked up Covid in the airports or the flights. I really appreciated that level of responsibility and respect.

@Annet3176 You give me too much credit- I’m not sure I’d think Zebra when hearing equine hoofbeats. :upside_down_face: But getting tested if feeling sick with anything that has the same symptoms as Covid just seems like a no-brainer to me. A drippy nose, but otherwise feeling fine, isn’t necessarily something that would lead me to get tested, but if I also felt generally crummy, or unusually fatigued, I would.

My neighbor gets seasonal allergies, and they were particularly bad this year. The symptoms- his headache, runny nose, sneezing, fatigue, are things he always experiences when his allergies are triggered, but the symptoms are so similar to Covid, that he got a Covid test just make sure.

I’ve spent plenty of time around others, they’ve just all been vaccinated and boosted. You can save your sympathy for the people whose friends and family members died a horrible, painful death from Covid because they refused to get vaccinated.

1 Like

@Citykid3785
This comment is so inappropriate….you manage your rental as you wish and let others do the same.

1 Like

Annet3176These deniers are unfortunately still with us.

I will answer for you:

Citykid3785, we do whatever is the appropriate response to keep me and my guests safe. We also make sure that MAGA folks who think as you do know they are unwelcome in our airbnb. I’m sure that between the conspiracy theories, the simmering resentment from having to deal with us enlightened people (you call us ‘woke’, but whatever), and the need to inject political commentary into this international forum of hosts you must be too busy to actually run a sucessful airbnb. Good luck in your next job…

2 Likes

General comment: I want a new button on this forum. Unfortunately it is rude & profane and will probably put me on the naughty step.

“Shut the f-up. Shut the f-up until there are no more f’s to shut. Shut the f-up all the way to the the top of f mountain & back”

:rofl::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: please forgive me. I try so hard to be helpful & tactful. Sometimes I just can’t any longer…

2 Likes

Some comments are going to be deleted. We still aren’t platforming anti-vaxxers here.

2 Likes

In what way is it inappropriate?

I think it’s inappropriate to shame people for their personal, educated choices. And to ask them to provide proof that their values agree with yours….that’s patronizing, no?

Providing proof of vaccination where required has nothing to do with values, anymore than providing your driver’s license when a police officer asks for it has anything to do with values.

One can choose not to drive if they don’t want to get a driver’s license, just like they can choose not to ask to book an Airbnb if they don’t want to abide by the house rules.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I know the feeling.

:slight_smile:

Because this thread is attracting anti-vaxxers (who I doubt are hosts anyway) I was thinking about closing this thread altogether.

The answer may well be just to ignore them.

Let’s see…

2 Likes

Sure it does. That’s not parallel at all. There is nothing remotely controversial about drivers licenses. It’s not run by a for profit entity for one.

There are many topics that are personal, controversial issues, such that forcing one to answer as a condition of use ……way different than a DL

I find it amusing that you think your ‘choices’ are ‘educated’. Providing proof of vaccination is not about ‘values’ - it is about science.

Please leave this conversation - my original question is not an invitation for anti-anything folks to give their political, religious, or ‘personal’ views about settled science.

2 Likes

Your post is far more offensive and unwelcoming than anything I’ve said. I’m glad you think science only has one viewpoint

What is offensive is you coming to this forum, as a new poster, to derail a thread about how a host should handle her vaccine proof requirement for guests, in order to put forth your personal views on Covid vaccinations.

Which, you are correct, are unwelcome here.

1 Like

Let’s face it, when you made this post you were predetermined to only want to hear one answer, which is that demanding guests to prove their medical choices to you is a great idea that won’t turn off anyone.

In your zeal to voice your opinions, you have completely missed the point of Rolf’s topic post. They were asking about whether it makes sense to require guests to provide a copy of their vax card and at what point to do that, not looking for validation that requiring guests to be vaccinated is a great idea.

The OP doesn’t care whether asking for vaccine proof turns off potential guests, nor did they ask for feedback on whether it would. They are quite happy, as am I, to turn off potential guests who object to a host asking for vaccine status.

2 Likes

Right. That’s enough. Topic closed.

4 Likes