Asking for 5 * review

It’s really awful that a host would leave the good review for the guests that were described in the response. Essentially they don’t care about other hosts having to deal with disrespectful guests as long as they get their pay off of a 5 star review.

This host’s practice erodes confidence in Airbnb for both guest and hosts.

5 Likes

@Charmed59. Good idea! Our Guest ratings might be:
5 Stars. Left stay in decent shape. Normal cleaning needed. Some additional cleaning is acceptable (no more than 10-15 min). No major rules broken (smoking, no pets, no kids, no infants). No major damage (minor stuff is ok - washcloth or broken glass, etc).
4 Stars: Extra mess that required substantial extra cleaning time. Stains that took a lot of time but were removeable. Checkin-Checkout caused us inconvenience.
3 Stars: Violations from 4 stars, plus caused issues, extra guests, attitude, etc. Review starts: Would Not Host Again
2 Stars: N/A - just give them 1 Star
1 Star: Would NEVER Host Again. Violation of one or more core house rules (pets, kids, infants, parties, smoking). Interfered with cameras, Had to call police, Any serious damage of any kind.

2 Likes

The hosts who leave their guests a detailed explanation of how they think the guest should review them should also leave the detailed explanation of how they evaluate the guest.

4 Likes

I don’t drink the Air koolaid, but their guidance re: feedback is the best: “clear, open, and honest”, I believe.

Only leaving the best feedback is painting a false facade on the whole gig.

Leaving a rubric on what you’re looking for and how they can review you would have to be carefully delivered as I can see some guests could misinterpret that as an intrusive host. I don’t personally see that as helpful. It’s like a waiter or waitress saying “I want a 25% tip from you so here’s what I expect from you and here’s how you can judge how well I earned it.”

I think slowly, so I can’t quite articulate what’s wrong with that situation, but it’s definitely not what hospitality should be.

4 Likes

Then it is a pity when you get the everything is fabulous, but here is the 4 stars rating for you because this isn’t the Ritz Hotel! Guests need to understand that you cant review us and compare Hotel ratings to Airbnb ratings.

4 Likes

I agree with you.

When guests are excellent (which has been all but one of the hundreds of guests we’ve had), we typically say what a pleasure it’s been to host them and that we’ll leave them an excellent review. We don’t ask for or say anything about their review of us.

1 Like

I’m going to continue to think about that one. Still on the side of letting hospitality be natural and avoiding a structured review process.

Anyways, I’ve rarely left guests anything other than 5 stars because 95% of the guests have truly earned 5 stars. Of the 5% who haven’t, all but one earned 4.5 or better. One guest pulled the curtain bracket out of the wall and didn’t notify me. Another had ruined the sheet by some kind of greasy looking stain, but when notified, he paid for a new sheet set.

A handful of other guests seem to assume that because they pay a cleaning fee they are allowed to not clean up after themselves. They aren’t rare, but they are very infrequent. I assume I’ll find crumbs and evidence the place was lived in. But crumbs all over the table had me leave the guest 4 stars on cleanliness. I let her know why.

Anyways, I have been doing this for about 3 years now and feel like I am still trying to tune in to the gig more tightly. Because of that I’m not yet ready to commit to a rubric being the best solution.

More thinking to do.

1 Like

Please Consider this phrase originated from a mass suicide of over 900 people by drinking cyanide laced Kool Aid before you casually use it.

A surprising number of people who understand it’s origin immediately discount the user as uninformed, which damages credibility

4 Likes

Yeah, I know. I’m informed. Let’s stay on topic.

4 Likes

If you’re going to stick around here one thing you will quickly learn is that “stay on topic” doesn’t really happen much here. Like other areas of the internet, what tends to happen is that people post things and then try to dictate the way people respond. If you don’t like responses to your posts you may find that just using the scroll button or ignoring the post is a meaningful tactic.

5 Likes

The comment was intended to be constructive. I doubt you wish your credibility discounted because you use an offensive buzz phrase. Ignore it if you wish.

2 Likes

This would definitely annoy me. It’s like when I buy something on Amazon, and they tell me if I give them a five star review, they will send me some discount or free product. It really screws with other people, because you’re not really showing an accurate depiction/review of the product. You’re essentially falling future customers. I think it sounds a little scammy.

4 Likes

Alright, since I’ve been given a dispensation to continue off topic AND complicating that with my new user status not allowing me to PM/DM @Annet3176 directly…

Don’t mean to sound offensive or come off as a punk, Anne. I do know the origin and I personally met a USAF airman who was one of the first responders on the ground after it all went down. That said, I’ve never picked up on that phrase being particularly offensive. My apologies.

Anyways, I think Airbnb is a great platform that generates a lot of side income for me and my family, but I will go on record as saying that Airbnb as a corporation maximizes shareholder income; that is, not shareholder value, nor stakeholder value.

That caveat was intended to couch my “airbnb’s guidance is best here” statement, merely because I take ALL their guidance with a grain of salt.

Also, it’s abundantly clear that @KKC doesn’t care about my feelings. :laughing:

5 Likes

Or anyone else on here, at least, not the ones of you I don’t know yet. LOL.

7 Likes

Sadly, it’s at this point you just lost any credibility you may have had.

JF

3 Likes

Sigh! This has long been a saying in common usage. We don’t need to assign it any special negativity or attack Deacon for using it.

4 Likes

…and yet you used it.

2 Likes

This thread has become incredible.

1 Like

dragging thread back to topic

I’m almost certain that the whole “put this host in jail” first appeared here in a post by…
damn, can’t remember the name but I remember a lot about him and his listing.

Or maybe he stole it from this guy, lol.