As a host, what do you want to know

As a guest I checked into this Airbnb yesterday. It’s a very nice condo in a great location. It has a few unfortunate problems that don’t majorly affect our stay, and I’m not looking for compensation, but should I tell the host? Or should I assume the cleaners told the host, and anything I say is angling for a refund?

These problems are:
-the only towel bar in the master is missing, meaning there is no towel bar or hooks. Looks like someone may have torn it off the wall.

• half the bulbs are missing from the vanity light in the master. I can’t tell for sure, but it may only be down one bulb.
    -it looks like someone walked through the screen door to the balcony. It’s pretty torn up.
  • the smoke detector in both bedrooms are missing, but the one in the common room is there.

There are only two of us staying in this 4-6 person condo, so we can hang towels in the other bath, and leave the doors open at night for smoke detectors. We don’t need the light in the master bath and appreciate the mood lighting.

However, as a host, I’d like to line up people in advance for short turnovers. Part of me thinks there is no way the cleaning folks didn’t notice this stuff, and they’ve already put it on the list for next time…

I would like to know all of these things and alerting the host may prevent you from being blamed for them. Your wording clearly defines the problems and your acceptance of the situation.

Maybe start with “We really like ______ and ______about the condo and anticpate enjoying our stay.” and continue with what you said:

However, we there are a few things you should know. Upon arrival we noticed
-the only towel bar in the master is missing, meaning there is no towel bar or hooks. Looks like someone may have torn it off the wall.
-half the bulbs are missing from the vanity light in the master. I can’t tell for sure, but it may only be down one bulb.
-it looks like someone walked through the screen door to the balcony. It’s pretty torn up.
the smoke detector in both bedrooms are missing, but the one in the common room is there.
There are only two of us staying in this 4-6 person condo, so we can hang towels in the other bath, and leave the doors open at night for smoke detectors. We don’t need the light in the master bath and appreciate the mood lighting."

2 Likes

Message the host ASAP. Just make it clear that you are not asking for any refund but as a fellow host you wanted them to be aware, so they can fix things, etc.

3 Likes

As an experienced host yoursel @Charmed59 you know you should flag with the host yourself or else you could be held liable for all the damages you mention @Charmed59

As a host I would certainly provide you with compensation for findings my listing in that state.

1 Like

I would tell the host because I would be concern that the host would think all these issues happened while I was staying there. If she’s a remote host she might not be aware of it.

Just be honest and tell her up front that you’re not fishing for a discount, you simply don’t want to be blamed for any issues that happened before your stay.

1 Like

I want guests to tell me when anything is amiss. Who cares if they think you are angling for a refund? You are a paying guest. Entitled hosts are just as obnoxious as entitled guests.

2 Likes

The host has no attention to detail so that’s what I’d put in the review.

There’s no way that the host isn’t aware of these issues and they are letting down a huge community of caring and attentive hosts.

Note too what @Helsi said above. If you say nothing now and the next guests complain, the host (who obviously doesn’t give a toss) will blame you.

2 Likes

That can’t be, they are a super host!

Which just goes to show how meaningless the superhost badge is! :wink:

2 Likes

Definitely let them know about these issues but you don’t have to make it public if you don’t want to. PM the host and explain that you’re not trying to get any type of compensation but that you are trying to help them, if they are a good host they will receive this information gracefully. As for the cleaners notifying their host about these issue, I agree, they probably have made note of them already. However, depending on the cleaning team and their commitment to the property/host they may only focus on the aspects of the house that they have been hired for(cleaning, organizing, sanitizing).

My cleaners are hired for turnovers but on Turnoverbnb they can send me pictures of issues that might need future attention and i will usually let them know how I would like to move forward. Maybe this host just hasn’t gotten around to the missing bathroom pieces or maybe they are unaware. regardless, I think they would appreciate a comment to help improve their listing.

The host was very gracious when I pointed these things out. They mentioned they knew about the missing towel bar, and other things but found out too late to get the building repair guy in. It sounds like the renters just before me might of had some issues. :grimacing:

3 Likes