Article: Airbnb dominated by professional landlords

Came across this article today.

Not sure how accurate it is. This is about Germany specifically (@Eberhard_Blocher you might be able assess the content better) but some of it may be relevant to others too.

The same research group (newspapers) wrote a report on Belgium. AirBnB already reacted that for several reasons (mainly wrong research methods and by consequence wrong results) the results of the research make no sense at all.

I don’t know who to believe.

1 Like

I do think Airbnb is striving for growth at the risk of diminishing the “home sharing” concept from which it began. If they are going to grow they need to expand their capacity. There’s a person who owns about 4 properties in my neighborhood on Airbnb. They are being offered to large groups of 15 to 23 each. At one point their Airbnb listing said they could accommodate 145. They are putting as many beds in each one as they can. It’s really gotten the attention of the neighborhood on our Facebook page. I don’t care for the idea.

Well that is certainly not in compliance with the “5 people who are not related” law in Boston! You could shut that down with about three phone calls.

1 Like

They were totaling up the capacity of all their properties. Here’s one that is on my street.

11 beds. This owner has several others in the neighborhood.

Accommodates 16, 1 bathroom. Crazy.

1 Like

Here’s the other property which is just about right behind my house. In this listing it states there are 2 other houses nearby and each hold 147 people.

I did not know this property was an Airbnb property and by chance walked by it on Sunday morning. It just looked like an Airbnb house. There was a stack of pizza boxes on the front porch and a couple bags of garbage. There was several guys in the process of departing and I asked them about it. They confirmed it was an Airbnb house and they were a group of 11 from Ohio here for a batchelor party.

And it is not 15 minutes to Boston from there.

This kind of thing is completely insane, but not uncommon. I have 2 room mates and the bathroom in the morning is close to chaos. This is a disaster waiting to happen imho.

True.

Have look at this listing:
Large companies are moving in, and they seem to have a completely different ruleset.

https://www.airbnb.nl/rooms/19372459

Look at their houserules:

So where small hosts are not allowed to take money outside AirBnB. AirBnB is allowing it for large hosting companies with multiple properties.

1 Like

The charm of Airbnb is in the personal touch of staying in a real home, sharing it with locals etc. If Airbnb by these special favours to large companies, morphs into a corporatist Big Landlord racket, elbowing out ordinary hosts, it’ll make itself indistinguishable from TripAdvisor and Booking.com et al and lose its niche and forte.

1 Like