Article about Airbnb & Hurricane Ian

Aye @zillacop and the mentality (upon reading about it) was that such expenditures 

should be offset by reductions somewhere else, in an effort to make the expending more accountable. Maybe too ‘tight’ of a position, considering it is oftentimes its all about politics an image.
‘Hidden’ pork-barrel attachments to every bill has remained a real problem in DC for decades.

/back to my ‘perfect’ world…lol

What is definitely not “cool” is jumping to make partisan slurs and presumptions instead of simply researching the vote yourself if you doubt the veracity.

2 Likes

CNN isn’t a tabloid it’s a main stream broadcaster . Tabloids refer to populist newspapers printed half the size of broadsheets @Reggie

1 Like

It was a typical response from US right-wingers to try to discredit any reporting they don’t like the sound of. Another of that ilk posted the exact same wording about the NYT yesterday on another forum I follow. It’s ubiquitous.

1 Like

The current EC policy specifically excludes refunds for hurricanes.

When Ian hit my area it was a bit of a surprise. 4 days prior the projected path was for IAN to go north through Florida then inland, over 200 miles from the SC coast. 2days prior path changed to cross FL & come up east coast but as a tropical storm. Only the day before it hit did the forecast turn to a Cat 1 hurricane.

1 Like

Yes, but the EC policy also includes

" Declared emergencies and epidemics . Government declared local or national emergencies, epidemics, pandemics, and public health emergencies. "

The part you quoted refers to weather events which are normal for an area. The intensity of this hurricane and the resulting destruction was not normal, and it has been declared a national emergency. I would anticipate Airbnb will be refunding on that basis.

Also, cancellation due to a property being in an unhabitable state or impossible to access is always refunded.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re OK, @Annet3176 . My friends in Pawley’s Island are OK, too. Beachfronts took a big hit.

@KenH probably doesn’t have power or internet. Even though I didn’t lose power, it’s been spotty as they load balance the grid. Internet was very slow over the weekend.

Safe, sound, and putting the house back together.

3 Likes

KenH has already responded here.

Yes. That’s what I do. I block my calendar for September and October so I don’t get any bookings. It’s hard to get good rates in these months anyway. So I don’t feel I lose out on much revenue. For me, it is more hassle than it’s worth to host people in the low season.

1 Like

Hi @Annet3176

You’re looking at the wrong part of the policy. As @muddy says you need to check the section

Declared emergencies and epidemics . Government declared local or national emergencies, epidemics, pandemics, and public health emergencies

Which says guest are eligible for a refund under EC when a local, regional or national government declares a state of emergency

Do hope you and yours are safe.

1 Like

Sounds like a sensible approach. It’s akin to some hosts blocking dates when there are events in their town which bring in a rowdy crowd. Better to block the dates than have to try to vet an onslaught of booking requests and risk having your house filled to overcapacity or trashed.

I’ve done the same during Semana Santa where I live,when 10,000 people decend on this tiny tourist town, many of them quite young, with the sole intention of partying. I started this approach the first season I hosted, when I started receiving inquiries asking “So is it really only for one person?” when my listing title includes “For Solo Travelers”.

If I’m lucky, I get a booking for those dates well ahead of time from no-risk guests whose purpose in coming is something other than partying.

Funny thing about unpredictable catastrophes. People have different views regarding which types are worse. For example, my wife and I, living in the southern California, would ask, how can you live in a place that has regular mass-destruction hurricanes (or random-path, town-annihilating tornadoes)? And they would respond, “I could never live in California; earthquakes scare the sh1t out of me!”

Nobody wins.

1 Like

For sure, it’s the risks you are familiar with and get used to. Like when my friend from Canada visited me and was telling a mutual acquaintance when she got back that there are scorpions and other scary insects and poisonous snakes here. The person said, “How can she live there?”, to which my friend replied, “But we have bears and cougars”.

There are also varying degrees of risk associated with various natural disasters. People in areas prone to tornadoes descend into basements and storm cellars, because tornados skim along the ground and one is reasonably safe below ground level. Earthquakes can come without warning but there are things you can do to help earthquake-proof a house and make sure your bed is situated where nothing heavy can fall on you if you are sleeping when it happens.
But you can’t really flood-proof your home or keep it from blowing away in a strong hurricane, and if a forest fire is about to surround you, you just need to get out.

1 Like

What is not cool is to interject partisan politics into even a general natural disaster conversation about hosting and reach the conclusion that it is one side only who denied recovery in the past for sinister, mean-spirited reasons.
Speaking of veracity, many business in high-risk areas (affected by Katrina or Sandy) didn’t have insurance in their places and then leaned on government funds (i.e. taxpayers money) to make up for it. That was but one of the reasons (out of 5) for their negative vote.
It must be a blast playing populist Santa Claus with someone else’s money and stay in a cushy job forever vs. a royal bitch to hold anyone accountable. My vote is with those with the guts to do so, even at their own political peril.

/out

1 Like

I find it sad that somebody can justify not helping another human being in a catastrophic crisis based on how much money they spent on insurance

6 Likes

I used to do that. Someone Here taught me it is called victim blaming. It was an eye opener for me

2 Likes

Yes, heaven forbid that those too poor to afford insurance receive any assistance funded by the govt. in the form of taxpayer revenue. Every man for himself, regardless of human suffering, is the attitude of those you appear to admire.

Meanwhile some very rich people of the same persuation had no problem availing themselves of stimulus checks and govt. handouts during the pandmic.

5 Likes