Are your beds made when guests arrive?

but that isn’t what it says. It says they provide the blankets, bedspreads, pillows, and mattress pads. All of those covers get laundered every single time we have guests. The laundry is the biggest cleaning cost.

There’s no reason to assume that just because facilities aren’t onsite that the items that are provided are dirty. Even people with facilities onsite use laundromats offsite for large items like duvet inserts, blankets and mattress pads.

1 Like

but that facility doesn’t launder sheets, only the bulky items? haha

I think you’re missing the point. It’s not that kind of place. It would be like someone mocking your rental because it doesn’t have wi-fi. It’s okay to accept that some places are different than others and to not assume without adequate evidence that they are sub-standard in some way.

3 Likes

I am not missing it, I just wouldn’t assume those blankets are clean because the reason stated for not providing sheets is ‘no washing facilities’. I would bring my own blanket, too.

@LoneStar
Have you ever seen housekeeping at a hotel, even somewhat fancier ones, change blankets, bedspreads, mattress pads or pillows between guests? I have not! Ok, once when it was obvious that something had been stained but not normally. They change the pillow CASES, sheets and duvet covers if used. That’s it. Maybe places that charge over $250+ a night might be different but I’ve never stayed at one of those. Red Roof & Days Inn certainly don’t change them at turnover.

I look at the bedding I provide to see how it looks - if there’s an obvious stain on any item, I switch it out to a spare. And given that blankets are used at most for 3-4 weeks per year, it’s not like they get used daily. And pillows have at least one, but often two, pillow protectors on them so when customer puts their case on it, chances of pillow itself getting dirty is minimal at best.

And @RebeccaF was correct - it’s a rustic/old-fashioned Cape Cod weekly rental type thing.

I wash these items on a regular basis using laundromat but certainly not on ever changeover - with up to 5 units changing on same day within 6 hrs or less, there’s just not enough time to do it. I have enough challenge getting dishes/glasses/etc inspected as well as items back in place and that’s using a cleaning service to do most of the work.

And yes, beds are by default ‘unmade’ but they are ‘fake made’ with bedspreads on and blankets folded at foot of bed so they look like pix. Ok, so it’s NOT for everyone but i highly suspect my customer base and yours have nothing in common - some of my best ones used to stay at campground nearby so my place is a big step up! And I may the lowest price in town so guests will get a bit less in services but people have said mine are cleaner than others they have stayed at.

I am accepting that this is just how it’s done there, and offering my feedback on what my perception would be because the author @ me. I accept that hotel bedding is not likely all laundered between guests…which is why the first thing i do in a hotel is remove the bedspread unless it is one of the modern kind made for daily washing that has obviously been freshly out of the wash.

Edited to add: The standard in our market seems to have previously been no linens and towels and no expectation of white-glove clean. The places that have been around longer than AirBnB get feedback in complaints and the response generally is ‘it’s the country, get over it. stinky sick water wells, bugs, and dust are what you can expect’. they are raking in the money so it works for them. but AirBnB seems to be bringing them guests with different expectations.

@LoneStar
As I said, i would highly doubt any “normal” priced hotel would ever change bedspreads on turnover no matter what they are made of…
Now we may disagree but i don’t see how a guest would really be affected by a mattress pad that’s not been changed when they have their own sheet between them and pad as there’s no direct contact of body and pad. And i suspect majority of my guests remove the bedspread and put it in closet until they leave as how many folks make their bed daily when on vacation?

1 Like

How many don’t? I always do but it’s an interesting question. For me anyway, it’s just so much nicer at night to get into a made bed than to flop into a jumble of bedding.

To be honest I can’t remember the last time I was in a hotel that had blankets and all that marlarkey. Most hotels have duvets and do away with that old blanket stuff.

I think it was a trend that started in the 90s - maybe because of allergies or something, I don’t know. But another reason could be that there was a lot of publicity about hotels not changing the blankets and bedspreads regularly.

However what hotels do isn’t really the concern of Airbnb hosts - we have much higher standards than the average-priced hotels. Thank goodness :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a guest - my heart would sink if I had to start my stay by making my bed.

2 Likes

I’d say about two-thirds of our guests make their bed each day here—in some fashion. Only a few make it as nicely as we do. But most of them pull up covers, straighten out pillows, and maybe smooth the coverlet.

They’re in our house, and if bedroom doors are open, we can see into each other’s rooms, as all bedrooms are in what my husband calls “the dormitory wing.” Perhaps they see that our bed is made as soon as we’re up, and they feel that they should make the bed, even if they don’t always do that at home.

1 Like

I don’t compare what we do to hotels since this is my home. And since this is my home, and I and my family sleep in those beds, we want it all washed at every turnover. It’s a matter of protecting my mattresses. I don’t have any disagreement with what you do because it in no way effects my life.

1 Like

@jaquo
Well, realize that not all hosts are looking at this as a luxury resort - some of us are in the ‘indoor camping’ category due to property type and pricing. And - as a guest, who’s used to staying at lower end chains like Red Roof/Days Inn/even Motel 6 on occasion/etc, when I needed a Airbnb on a trip for an overnight stay instead of a inconvenient/high priced hotel, I wanted something plain and simple…and I found that! A cottage somewhat similar to mine but with linens which was good given the short stay. I wasn’t looking for anything fancier than if i were to stay with friends (which i did the following night in next state)…The most i would ever pay for a hotel room on my semiannual trips to/from FL/MA is about $75, if that, so I’m definitely a budget traveler. There’s a place for all types of rentals here and that’s what i like about Airbnb - you can go from very fancy and pricey to bare bones and cheap.

Addendum: I can’t recall staying in any hotel that had duvets - must be a higher end place than i use.

@J-and-G
But if by doing so, you’d be able to afford to stay in a town that you maybe couldn’t otherwise -and- you’re staying for a week min, sometimes two, -and- you drove there from home and didn’t fly thus making it easier to bring all kinds of stuff, that’s what my situation is with my cottages. My guests are willing to make some adjustments to save money on lodging and would rather spend it on dining/entertainment/tourist stuff. And - this past summer, I had 100% occupancy in my primary season! One guest was someone who has a winter only rental and has to vacate in summer to make room for the tourists so she was more than happy with my place. Beats living in campground like some of those do.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct. I used to often stay in hostels in Europe because, in those days, they definitely represented the best value for money. These days though, they can be the same price as an average price hotel. However, they are much, much better than they used to be.

Most of the chain hotels do these days, the Marriotts, for example.

This seems like an odd question. Don’t most people make their bed every day?

Sounds like you know your target audience then, good for you!

2 Likes

I notice that most of my guests also make the bed every day. ( they often have their bedroom door open when home, which opens onto the same balcony I use to access my room, which is how I know).

1 Like

Ok - but - as I said before, I have a different view of hotels than many (apparently) because i think I have only stayed at a Marriott once or twice some many years ago when on business trip for employer at time. I would never spend that much for myself for a hotel -and- I consider it to be ‘upper class’ from the viewpoint of a Days Inn/Travelodge/etc type guy.
I regularly stay at an independent hotel in south GA where I pay about $50 night per room. It’s certainly nothing fancy but it’s no worse than my bedroom at home and that’s all I care about.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s totally normal to bring your own linens on the Cape (and the Jersey shore as well). It doesn’t seem like a big deal as long as you know ahead of time. Oddly, my SO and I take our own sheets with us when we go to the Cape but that’s because my mother in law hasn’t thrown out a sheet in 30 years and we prefer ‘nicer’ sheets :laughing:

Nope. I was told that “when I was a grownup” I wouldn’t have to if I didn’t want to, so I haven’t :wink: Though I probably would in a situation like @RebeccaF’s , to be polite. I might be unkempt but I am polite.

1 Like

@JJD
Somewhere either here or on another forum, back when Airbnb was trying to force everyone to supply linens, apparently a number of hosts in rural Norway also have the ‘bring linens’ as normal custom there due to possibly washer/dryers in those areas in homes not being typical just like the Cape where we relied on wells and space in cottages was very limited when they were built.

1 Like

So do you stay in hotels? Have you EVER seen blankets on the maids cart?

I wash everything too, because I want to do better than hotels but I never expect the same it’s usually not done at every turnover.

RR

1 Like