Are these reasonable rules for dogs?

I get a lot of bookings for people with dogs so not about to stop them. Most dogs are great but have a regular guest whose dog barks a lot. Do these “dog rules” seem reasonable? Most guests don’t need them:

We love dogs here but there are some basic rules:

1. On arrival let your dog go on the grass before bringing it inside,
  2. Dogs barking inside frequently or for extended periods is not acceptable and you must tell them to be quiet straight away. All dogs bark occasionally, including mine, but it is your responsibility to control your dog and ignoring them until they stop is not an option.
  3. Bring a blanket for your dogs when sitting on the furniture.
  4. The white towels in the bathroom are for humans only, there is a green towel for dogs and muddy feet.
  5. Please report any accidents so I can ensure they are cleaned up properly and do not encourage future guest’s dogs to pee there.
  6. There are chickens and ducks out the backyard and dogs should not go out there under any circumstances unless on a leash.
  7. If your dogs sheds hair then there is a Dyson vacuum cleaner under the stairs to clean it up before leaving.
  8. dogs must not be left on their own except by prior arrangement and I will keep an ear out for them if they have to go out.

Please remember to sign the doggie guest book!

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. I say dogs can’t be left alone inside but can be left in the yard. We no longer have chooks so that is not a problem. Our two dogs are home sometimes but usually at the farm with hubby. I’m thinking of adding a dog fee to cover cleaning. I leave a dog bowl and am happy to give snacks.

2 Likes

Perhaps add that guests are required to pick up solid wastes

2 Likes

If it were me I would also collect on the Security Deposit if the guest doggie bring fleas or ticks into the environment.

2 Likes

With AB you can not collect a Security Deposit, my main problem is getting people to read anything.

1 Like

That one has always been in the main rules. I can’t imagine someone in Australia not picking up their dog mess. We’re a very tidy country.

1 Like

I did have one guest recently with 3 dogs for 4 nights who brought a thick pet smell into the place. So bad the next guests left after 1 night complaining of it so I lost about $100.

I have only allowed two dogs at a time. We also have two dogs. People don’t always pick up their dog poo.

@JamJerrupSunset Please do not take this the wrong way but I have STR business for 6 years and have always allowed dogs. I have two rules - not dogs under 1 year old and your dog is not to be left alone in the apartment. The first 5 rules I would say are unnecssary since dog owners know these things. I provide “doggie towels” since we live on a river and most of the dogs end up swimming. I charge $50.00/dog for less than a week and $100./dog if they have booked a week. I also have $250.00 security deposit. I have only had damage to one screen and the guest paid for it. No other issues and at least 50% of my guest bring a dog.

My only question is: Will the dogs prove to be better readers than humans?

10 Likes

There are no reasonable rules for the dogs; the rules are for the human owners!

2 Likes

This last one is confusing to my ear. I might just leave it at “except by prior arrangement.” and then work out exactly what you offer at that time.

You might also consider providing your own dog friendly blanket for protecting your furniture and changing the rule to enforce its use. As we’ve all experienced, most guests don’t read. If they arrive without one they’re up the creek in terms of ability to comply, where they would use it if a blanket were provided.

4 Likes

We bring our Golden Retriever to our cabin, so we’re more than happy to accommodate fellow house-trained dogs/owners. We recognize that there are many listings that do not allow dogs, for whatever reason(s). We just want dog owners to respect our Pet Policy.

We send the Pet Policy to potential guests and ask them to review and affirm. The only issue that we’ve had is with owners who are too lazy to take their dog out to the driveway/road during the winter, resulting in yellow slush on the 2/F deck or next to the exterior stairs. Yuck!

Comments welcomed,
P

Guest’s well behaved, house trained dog is welcome with prior approval at an additional rate of $25-/dog/night and capped at $100-/dog. 2 dog maximum.

• Guest’s dog must have required shots, licenses and tags, including name tags.

• Guest must provide dog bedding/crate and towels to wipe off wet paws and fur in the Mudroom/Garage. Cabin towels are NOT to be used for pets.

• Dogs are not allowed on furniture or beds.

• Do NOT leave your dog at the cabin unattended.

• If guests’ dog sheds, please brush dog outside daily.

• As a courtesy to others, guests will walk their dog to the road before allowing them to relieve themselves.

• Guests must pick up after their dog and discard waste properly. Plastic bags can be found in the Mudroom as well as around the Lake.

• Dogs are NOT allowed to be washed in the bathtub or showers. Guests may use the garden hose and spigot in the garage for such purpose on the downsloping driveway only.

• Guests are responsible for cleaning up any “accidents” their dog has caused inside. Please notify us of any accidents or damage.

• County Leash Law: it is illegal for people to allow their dogs to run free in unincorporated areas of the county. The ordinance requires that if a dog is off its owner’s premise, the dog must be on a leash.

• Guests are required to pay for any damage their dog causes.

• Guests must agree to follow the SH Pet Policy by replying affirmatively in an email.

1 Like

Thks Helen, but imo the point of rules is not for the 99% of people who know these things but the 1% who don’t. I don’t charge extra for dogs, most of them I love meeting. And sometimes even their humans.

1 Like

yes good point - I often find myself communicating information in rules as that is often the only thing people read, if that.

It is true: there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

Thanks - I’ve asked for feedback for my new dog rules from guests with dogs and they’ve all said they seem reasonable including a dog trainer and a professional dog sitter. So I am sure most of your guests would have no problems with yours.

How do you send the pet policy to the guest? I can’t figure out how to do that before they book. Airbnb won’t let me send an email?

I’ve gone about this in a different way. I have in my House Rules that all pets must be pre-approved. So, the good guests contact me prior to booking regarding their pets. I have them agree to the pet rules in the message stream before booking them. Sometimes guests do instant book and then tell me they are bringing a pet. In that case, I vet them and their pet post-booking and try to get them to agree to the pet rules at that point. If they won’t or if I feel uncomfortable with them, I get them cancelled for not getting their pet pre-approved as is noted in my House Rules. I’ve never had any trouble doing it this way.

2 Likes

Ok so first off as a homeowner who lives next to an Air BNB let’s just take a step back and put yourself in our shoes as well…

I see allot of other Air BNB owners chiming in which is easy to do when you aren’t a tenant at the property you own…

So first off, dogs should never be “unattended” not outside or inside… PERIOD. When your guests become a nuisance to homeowners around the area it makes us want to report your establishment to the city.

Personally as a homeowner I should never have to confront your guests about them leaving their dogs out all night or leaving their dogs out all morning to get in fights with my dog through a fence all morning long, waking all my small children in the house day and night. I also work a third shift, No one should have to hear that… As a tax paying homeowner who keeps my dog in at night and lets him out in the morning so that he can have access to his own yard, I should not be bothered by your GUESTS dogs who can’t keep their mouth shut to my dog who is a permanent member of my household… I shouldn’t have to constantly call the Airbnb owner, I shouldn’t have to constantly confront the guests, I should never have to even talk to the guests… especially about their dog which personally shouldn’t be there in the first place, find a dog sitter…like normal people do.

Now, I’m not pointing fingers. But I’m saying “you” as an all of you Airbnb owners… You all need to be mindful of your neighbors who actually live in the houses next to your “cash cow”… I find it very disrespectful when I have to confront AirBnB guests because you guys are being too soft or vague on your rules… i’m not your daddy. I’m not your butler. And I surely shouldn’t have to even bring up common sense stuff like this but here I am… frustrated with half of your responses to how people (your guests) should handle their pets…

Also you guys should have a check in times I get sick and tired of having people check in at two or 3 o’clock in the morning… especially when I’ve been to the Airbnb site that my neighbor uses to host their airbnb and it clearly says by 10pm… there should be a lockout code after that. I don’t like people ringing my doorbell at 1 o’clock in the morning because they can’t get into the Airbnb next door and need to call the owner and don’t have a phone in the 21st-century…

Anyways this is my personal opinion on this matter… your rules also affect us not just you. so make your rules for us as well…k? Thanks.