Architecture critic decries Airbnb "bland decor"

I did. It was in Marfa TX, about 3 hours from here. It’s a small town and a cool venue called El Cosmico. I don’t know how many people were there but it felt like about 2000. Mumford and Sons were very big that year and had just been at the Grammys the month before. It was excellent, one of my top 5 of all time concerts.

1 Like

Maybe we should start a “have you heard this one” topic, where you’re only allowed to post a music video :smile:

Just for a bit of fun…

Anyway, in my time zone I’m almost at the opening line of Famous Blue Raincoat and yeah I know, not very Mumfordy but you know what I mean.

So I’ll bid you all buenos noches,

JF

1 Like

Teal and deep orange is my favorite color combo!

1 Like

Here’s my entry

I have a studio recording of this on a compliation album, I don’t know if she put in on any of her own albums. At the end of it she giggles like Janis Joplin at the end of Mercedes Benz. That sweet touch is missing from this version.

Leonard Cohen or Jennifer Warnes’ cover? We seem to have similar music tastes. One thing many of my guests comment on is how good the music I always have playing is. I never turn on tv’s. Unless it’s to put a music channel on.

It’d have to have been Jennie last night, as OH was in bed and I was on the middle terrace trying to catch a breeze. She hates the Jennifer Warnes covers so only time I can play that album is when she’s not around!

@kkc Joan Osborne, sheer class.

JF

1 Like

Hard flooring is so ‘yesterday’, in particular the cheap vinyl wood imitation stuff. Carpeting is luxurious, especially in bedrooms. A friend of mine supplies and fits carpet and says he’s never been busier. He’s removing hard flooring from customer’s who he installed it for 10 yrs ago. People are switching back to carpet.

Maybe, but for STR’s hard flooring’s are far more durable and resistant to damage by careless guests.

We don’t have a single carpet in our property, a few rugs but the rest is tiles. Some pretty, some not so (:grinning:), but we’ve never had a guest damage them so far :crossed_fingers:

JF

1 Like

Carpeting is disgusting. Carpet hides the dirt. I didn’t fully realize this until I had hard floors. Even in the Airbnb room which doesn’t have dogs in there daily the amount of dirt that is vacuumed up and then mopped is dismayzing. That’s carpet’s dirty little secret. I admit I miss carpet. It feels good underfoot and you just vacuum and viola! People think it looks clean.

I do agree it’s a luxury. For people who can afford to have it professionally cleaned regularly, and ripped up and replaced often, sure, it’s nice. For people who can afford to care if something is “so yesterday,” yeah, go for it.

For people with pets, like me, no thanks. Also I’m preparing to “age in place” so having a smooth surface is superior. For people with allergies, no. For people who, in an age of covid and the other pandemics that will probably continue to roll in from time to time, no thanks.

5 Likes

I agree. Carpet is a dirt magnet.

When I rented my first apartment, only the bedroom was carpeted. I rented one of those giant push-behind carpet cleaners (sort of like a walk-behind Zamboni). I used it time after time in that one bedroom, with tank after tank of water. Of course I don’t know how long it had been since cleaning—if ever—but the water came out black for the first three or four or five tanks. And the carpet itself didn’t actually ever look dirty.

Uber-disgusting.

1 Like

Anyone who joins a forum to tell everyone how wonderful carpet is and how it’s making a comeback is in the business of selling carpet. I mean, has a friend that’s selling carpet. :wink: :wink:

4 Likes

I always felt that his music was to commit suicide by, until I heard Dance Me to the End of Love. I melted.

1 Like

Not for rentals. And my 83 year old beautifully waxed oak floors are what make the place. It would be horrid with germ and mite infested carpet.

1 Like

Oh. hell yeah!!! These are the colors I painted my tasting room (I host on a real vineyard/winery)

2 Likes

Well, duh, you have to have tiles in Andalucia … it’s The Law. And the grouting has to be as wide as possible in order to attract maximum dirt. That seems to be what our builders thought, anyway.

3 Likes

???

then I am sooooo very YESTERDAY!

Tile and hardwood here. I have a couple of wool area rugs, but not a scrap of carpet/rugs in guest quarters. I understand that many homes HAVE carpeting, but come time to replace it I would definitely spend the $$ on upgrading to some sort of hard floors. It’s just such a cleaner option and worth the investment.

Carpets are filthy, revolting things. They harbor all sorts of allergens and other nasty stuff. They are huge non-nos for people with allergies and no one should be breathing in what carpets are home to.

So you vacuum it and wash it a few times a year. Do you only vacuum your kitchen and bathroom floors and wash them a few times a year?

There’s nothing “luxurious” about filth and bacteria.

3 Likes

Same can be said of hotels – looks like Captain Obvious is now a journalist at FT.

1 Like

Our flavor preferences are shaped by many factors,
in hotels sometimes it is very beautiful and sometimes very cheap view,