Anyone heat sealing brekkie items in cello bags?

Even I can only eat so much bread pudding made from leftover/maybe stale/may have been touched breakfast breads I provide, currently opening the big store bags and portioning into poly bags with twist ties, and freezing the rest.
I am actually contemplating buying a $100 gizmo to heat seal my offerings in individual portions in cellophane baglets. I’ve looked into buying already individually packaged muffins and bagels and such and they’re at too high a price point.
I’ve got a bifurcated clientele, some really appreciate the breakfast items due to their travel and business schedules, and others don’t touch the stuff. (Or eat half of it, thus the bread pudding onslaught.)
Sooo, any tips? No breakfast? Breakfast optional? Continue current procedure of getting fat on buttery bourbon-raisined bread puddings? Or the cello bags and sealer? I like that cellophane is a wood pulp product, not an oil extraction product like the poly bags. Cello is supposed to keep things fresher longer, but not to do as well in extreme temperatures, aka my freezer.
Yes, I like gadgets, so that may be biasing my thoughts.

Sounds like a good gadget if you would use it for yourself as well. I have made soap and bath bombs and cello might be good for that too. Otherwise cereals in small boxes or individually wrapped Shredded Wheat would be a good option.

Excellent idea. Little tip, check thrift stores first for the heat sealing gizmo before you spend money on a brand new one.

I will have to hide your post from Mr Joan, or he will be off like a shot to buy one. He is a gizmo fanatic, but it would sit in a cupboard after a while, gathering dust, like the bread maker, various laptops (10 at last count…), eye wateringly expensive Delonghi coffee machine that is too noisy, wood smoker… I could go on.

5 Likes

I used to supply fresh muffins, half and half, etc, but got tired of the waste. I now provide packaged goods such as oatmeal, oodles of noodles and granola bars.

1 Like

The bags are really expensive for the food sealers if you get the vacuum type. You may be able to use different bags to save money and just use the “seal” setting, which doesn’t pull a vacuum. But you’ll have to be careful - the bags need to be heavy enough that they seal with the heat but not melt.

2 Likes

I’d just keep eating bread pudding

3 Likes

To build on @PitonView ‘s comments:

I have a food saver vacuum sealer and I am a fan. I routinely use it for packaging freezer items like seafood purchased in season & bulk meat purchases. It is great for heat sealing chips/crisps bags.

Generally freezer type sealable bags can be heat sealed too. Lighter weight storage or sandwich bags do not heat seal well (melty mess)

There are two kitchen gadgets that I originally purchased as “as seen on TV” and am thrilled I did. This is one. Because I love a bulk item bargain purchase, this has been wonderful.

2 Likes

I just had a better idea that will keep you from getting fat. Give the bread puddings to the guests.

That way, it will be like one continuous bread cycle.

1 Like

I definitely appreciate the vacuum sealer, too. The new dishwasher tabs are covered in plastic that dissolves, so they turn into a mess in our open-air house in the Caribbean (too much humidity). So I vacuum seal “portions” of about two weeks’ worth of tabs when I open a new box. Keeps the rest of them from dissolving before they are supposed to!

I also vacuum seal shampoo and conditioner and other liquids for when I travel to our vacation home - it’s a great insurance policy for the rest of the items in my luggage in case anything leaks.

1 Like

I have one of the heat sealers my sister gave me ages ago. I don’t use it a lot but when I do I’m glad I have it. Another use for it is sneaking alcohol into concerts and sporting events. Just custom size a small bag fill and seal. Tuck it into a waist band or bra. They are hard to open though. A safety pin or nail clippers come in handy. I gave this tip to a friend going to a Green Bay Packers game and she had fun impressing the locals.

5 Likes

Lol!! That was NOT what I expected you to say!

1 Like

A vodka fillet rather than a chicken fillet?

I don’t even drink hard liquor as a general rule. But a couple of shots of Patron in a November Wisconsin parking lot would be in order.

Y’all are SO creative!

You just put a smile on my face.

1 Like