Anyone have experience with NYC registration?

NYC imposed rules on STRs just about the time we began using ABB to find guests for an apartment in our house, that we’ve rented out for many years through other listings The rules require owners to live in the same space (check) and then either to register with the city, OR, restrict stays to over 30 days. We’re been good with the 30-day requirement, but want to broaden our offering to shorter stays. However I’m apprehensive about registering, which could lead to hotel taxes or heaven knows what. Can anyone reassure me here? Thanks!

You would probably find more reassurance on one of the sites that gives hints and advice on how to run an airbnb and tries to sell you courses and has an ad laden site. Generally speaking, hosts here tend to believe in regulation and tax payments. People probably saw your post two days ago on another thread but just ignored it.

4 Likes

I for one can assure you that breaking the law has penalties. As a business owner, you need to do your due diligence and actually look up the laws that you are doing business under, and then follow them. I’m pretty sure that anyone who gives you ‘tips’ on how to circumvent the law is not doing you any favors.

1 Like

Wow, I think both of the responders here completely misunderstood the OPs post. As far as I understand him, he isn’t asking about doing anything illegal- he is asking if it would be worthwhile for him to register with the city so he can host less than 30 day stays, given that it may incur further taxes or fees, or stay with his 30 day+ designation, which does not currently require that registration. There is no indication that he is evading paying the taxes required on his current 30 day designation.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you think that you have no need to pay taxes (or your license or your STR insurance presumably) when we all do so?

Apologies to the OP if that’s the case. I’m not in NYC but I’m pretty sure that there is a bed tax (TOT or whatever you want to call it) in New York City and that a call to the authorities would confirm that.

But the OP did not indicate that he isn’t currently paying the bed tax or whatever other taxes are required. He said he was concerned about extra taxes that would be charged if he registered for less than 30 day rentals.

Hopefully he’ll come back here and clarify.

1 Like

Hey, I really opened myself to misinterpretation. Of course I pay taxes on STR income. Let me simplify my question: has anyone had experience with the new registration system in NYC?

1 Like

Apologies. I thought you were previously referring to the bed tax (temporary occupation tax).

Sorry, no experience of NYC. :slight_smile:

I think he was asking if anyone knew whether adding “under 30 days” to his offering would bring new taxes and related new paperwork that might make it not worthwhile making this change, given that he already has a reasonable core business at 30+ days that doesn’t carry these “under 30” complications and obligations.
His question – which can only be answered knowledgeably by a NYC “under 30 days” host – seems perfectly reasonable and perfectly ethical.

2 Likes

I don’t know more than what I have read on other forums from NYC hosts. Which is that getting approved seems to involve a long waiting period. Which is problematic for new hosts who are applying, but if applying doesn’t mean that you have to immediately cease your current 30 day+ designation, then waiting to be approved for shorter term rentals doesn’t seem risky or problematic in that regard.
I can’t speak to what extra taxes or fees might be required.
I would look to see if there is a NYC-specific hosting forum, Facebook or otherwise, as all the hosts there would be dealing with NYC regs.

OK, thanks, all. I’ll look for a NYC specific forum.

I’m not sure if it’s the same as in NJ. I registered with my township and it was quick and easy. I think I had to pay a $135 fee and then the inspector came shortly after. Within a few days I received the permit and the occupancy certificate. Airbnb collects the taxes from guests and forwards them to the township. You should go for it so you can host short term stays less than 30 days.

Thanks, Ritz3, that’s interesting and I’m glad it worked out. NYC’s system is brand new, so we’ll see whether it’s so user friendly.

1 Like

You know you have to register because if you don’t you will dropped by your marketing as the city has strong armed airbnb and vrbo to comply and drop any hosts from the platform who are out of compliance.

This is the big money hotel & accommodation lobby spending millions all over the country, they have figured out they can’t fight fairly against the mom and pop competition so they are now getting politicians to do their battles through legislation and regulation. It’s only going to get worse, many here think they are immune because they currently aren’t affected by some of these regulations and they “welcome” paying their always increasing taxes, but it’s a death of 1000 cuts and more is coming and sooner or later what didn’t affect them, will affect them and then it’s too late because they never spoke up before to stop any of it.

1 Like

But the OP made it clear that the rules are that he doesn’t need to register unless he wants to do under 30 day bookings- he is in compliance at this point because he only takes 30 day+ bookings.

1 Like