Any recs for a dishwasher that’s not a piece of garbage?

Previous dishwasher (Frigidaire) lasted 4 years. The repairman said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one.

At that time I asked him if he had any suggestions for a better one. He replied, “Nope, they are pretty much all crap.”

So, I purchased a Whirlpool. It’s been about 4 years and it’s circling the drain.

Before I resign myself to believing him, does anyone have recommendations for a D.W. that will last more than 4 years? (Brands available in the US)

Growing up we had a Harvest Gold one that was ugly and noisy. But it just worked. For years. It clunked along. We never even thought about it. Just push the button and it worked.

I have a Kenmore Elite (don’t know who made it) that I’ve had since 2011. Before that I had a Kenmore, I can’t recall how many years, but at least 12. However, I don’t run my dishwasher daily. Both of mine were purchased as “scratch and dent” models. If you have Sears/Best Buy/Lowe’s/Home Depot around that you can check in person they regularly have “open box” or returns or close outs at a good price.

1 Like

The two makes we’ve had over the years that just seem to simply work, no issues, no problems, are:

The Beko we currently have was about two thirds the price of the Bosch. Only prob is due to potential US sanctions (Turkey) the price of the Beko may go up, or become unavailable.

JF

1 Like

My Miele has been working fine for 16 years…

1 Like

I think it depends which country you are in. Here in the UK, I use WHICH and Good Housekeeping for recommendations.

1 Like

I have had a Bosh for 10 yrs. No issues but it doesn’t dry. It’s European, therefore, it does not have that feature. We simply pull out the racks a bit to air dry.

I think Kenmore is owned by Sears. It’s probably what we had when I was growing up.

These days I’m a little nervous to make any major purchase from Sears. It seems to have been run into the ground by the greedy corporate raider whose name escapes me at the moment.

The one near us closed last year. And even before it closed, it was depressing and understocked for years. I only ever went in there to make Lands’ End returns.

1 Like

Yes, Kenmore is the Sears brand but they don’t make anything. Their appliances are made by appliance makers like Whirlpool. So what I was trying to say is they have been great for me but I don’t know who makes them. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

1 Like

I second Miele, but they are fairly expensive. Bosch is supposed to be very reliable and second only to Miele in reliability. I hope so, because I just bought a new one for another property!

1 Like

When things break every few years, then to ME that is an expensive appliance. Refunding $$s to guests due to failed amenities should be telling you “I need better quality, and the refunds I just gave should have been spent on a better appliance”

Of course nothing lasts forever, but I would never buy a machine in your price range, if only for the peace of mind.

The median price of a Miele or Bosch should be the standard, and buying cheaper for less quality is for comparison.

1 Like

I would have recommended a Bosch Super Silent until approximately one hour ago. It is three years old, cost an arm and a leg but has always been very efficient, and is used once or twice daily.

Expecting my usual load to be finished, I found it making odd noises instead. On opening, I find an error message telling me to turn the machine off and contact customer service.

I can’t turn it off.

I mourn my old Indesit; noisy but efficient and was still working after 21 years, through three house moves, including to France where we said farewell after ten years.

Mr Joan looks up reviews for white goods on Mumsnet.

Bosch went through a rough patch on reliability a few years back, but the reports are that they have gotten much better.

There’s no guarantee of 100% reliability on anything, unfortunately. All you can do is play the odds, and I’m sorry to hear that you (@Joan) didn’t get a perfect one.

We have an ancient Bosch in one of our homes and it is amazing. Next time I have to get a dishwasher it will be a Bosch.

@Rolf

The OP never explicitly mentioned a price range and neither did I. And expensive things can break as fast, if not faster, than some cheaper things. I do agree with you, though, that buying cheap junk for appliances can be far costlier in the long run than a more expensive but reliable model.

BOSCH. Or Bosch subcontracted. To make them last longer, clean out the thingamajig underneath that trap food, rinse dishes before putting in, don’t overfilll, and periodically use those dishwasher cleaners.

1 Like

I have a Bosch dishwasher in my home and in a STR (I moved my white one to the rental when I replaced my white home appliances with Stainless steel)

Love the Bosch but not sure it was right for my rental. They dry by heating the water so after washing the dishes are hot and water evaporates which is what commercial/restaurants dishwashers do. I’ve gotten complaints that the dishwasher doesn’t work properly and doesn’t dry dishes from people unfamiliar with Bosch. When I replace it, It will be a traditional dishwasher with a heating element

I placed a scratch & ding Maytag dishwasher in my 1 Br rental a year ago. No complaints about it. Can’t tell you about longevity yet. Works well.

2 Likes

Before Bosch, we went through 4 dishwashers in a year. It was like we were eating them. My partner got one at the cottage,and put it through hard iron water etc. And it survived. Recommend Costco cleaning pods too.

1 Like