Any Preference when taking guests?

Hi there,
I recently started hosting people in the hopes of meeting young and open-minded people.
I also love hosting people into my house.
But one question that I had in mind was whether you guys have any preference taking guests.
For example, as a programmer I would like to meet more people who work in similar industry than who work in finance.
I would like to hear y’all opinions or any particular great experience where you were able to share some of your interests with guests!

1 Like

Way back in the dark ages of my hosting experience, I too looked forward to meeting new and interesting people. After almost 4 years, it is now just my job, and having had my fair share of both fab guests and complete knobs, the shine has tarnished somewhat :slight_smile: i also no longer live in the home that I started hosting in, so I rarely even meet my guests anymore. I do quite miss the breakfast thing, both the cooking and the interaction, but my Air story took on a life of its own once I started getting insanely busy.

5 Likes

It would be nice to meet and converse with more guests who share our interest. But with airbnb, you can’t really choose.
We’ve found you get a general cross section of whatever the mix of tourists/visitors usually come to your location. You can’t really turn away people or actively seek certain groups - unless you want to make that very clear in the listing.

2 Likes

I have found, however, that people choose us because of the interests that we have in the profile. A well-written profile can encourage certain types of people to choose your listing.

4 Likes

Yes, on the whole I prefer guests who are tall, good-looking, charming young men with a full head of hair who are passionate about books and classical music, are extremely tidy and have a thing for (much) older women …

Interestingly we’ve had quite a few of these, but almost always accompanied by tall, beautiful, charming girlfriends/boyfriends (so obviously not so much the older women thing …)

8 Likes

The profile you would need to write to make this a reality would be most creepy, don’t you think? :wink:

2 Likes

I prefer women that don’t wear make up! Seriously, I wish I could state that in my listing. Was also thinking a separate star rating for cleanliness of linens would be great, if we could see the star ratings of guests. I’m actually trying to figure out a way to word this in reviews. I don’t charge and almost everything will come out, but it’s time consuming! Sorry if I sound cranky; just had some guests that were lovely in every way except when I examined the towels. They left my new provided black washcloths that say “makeup” untouched.

2 Likes

@Arlene_Larsson Just had my first makeup group, and I am being very honest in my review. And like you, they didn’t touch the clothes and pads that I provide.

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t know … think of President Macron of France and his lovely wife!

What did you say in your review??

@Arlene_Larsson. Not fully comfortable with posting the review.

No worries. I’ve just been trying to come up with a way to word this in a review.

I know we’ve all experienced this, but just got another one of those very chatty, informative inquiries – “Thanks. Bob”