Any idea why Airbnb is trying to engineer fewer Superhosts

How many super ho’s get the $100 bonus? What would that multiply out at?

When was the standard for SH EVER 4.0??? I seem to recall it not being 4.0 since I started 3.5 years ago.

1 Like

This is incorrect. It used to be required that 80% of reviews were 5 star. 4 star has never been good enough for SH.

1 Like

Remember it’s not cash, it’s a travel credit. And if you don’t use the whole thing at once you lose the remainder, like the year I only got $80 because I only needed a one night booking.

I’m not saying it is nothing, it could be millions spent each year.

1 Like

They say they have 9 million hosts.
Calling 10%? As super ho’s
At $100 USD, that’s 90 million sitting on their books…

1 Like

I still can’t figure out why this is a discussion about people losing SH. I read the article and didn’t get that at all from it. It said there were no changes. What am I missing here?

1 Like

I think that is unacceptable. I don’t see a guest remarking about that as being unduly picky!

LOL. First of all, who even reads the best-by date if it’s not even open? And were the guests seriously going to drink 1/5 of the milk for 5 days and then keel over dead on the 5th day because the milk was past its best-by date?
Not only that but it’s not an “expiration date” it’s a “best-by date” and by all accounts it is not only still good but absolutely safe to drink well after the date. That date is really about when the store has to get it off the shelf.

Also, milk is not a listed amenity. If you don’t want free milk, go buy some yourself :woman_shrugging:

You were joking right? I’m tired. Sorry.

7 Likes

Agree, it’s only speculation/assumptions.

Hmmm, I got a totally different (and much lower) number

There are about 650,000 hosts and 7 million listings worldwide (a host can only get one voucher per year regardless of the number of listings he/she has).
Between 6% and 7% of hosts are Superhosts at any given time, but the travel voucher is awarded to hosts that make Superhost 4 quarters in a row, so the number of Superhosts that get vouchers will be less.
The $100 travel voucher only costs Airbnb $85 since they will get 15% of it back in the form of their commission.

Anyway, the number I get is only around $3 million.

3 Likes

I’m sure Airbnb depends on an undeniable fact: A large percentage of gift cards/gift certificates/vouchers/coupons simply doesn’t get used. No cost at all to Airbnb for all of those.

We’ve gotten $100 travel vouchers multiple times from Airbnb but have never had the opportunity to use any of them.

In our pet photo business, we sold gift certificates fairly often. People who really wanted photos from us received them as gifts from family and friends.

We’re now retired from photography. And I bet half of the gift certificates we sold were never redeemed.

3 Likes

Shhhh, you’ll expose that scam that we know as the gift card industry.

4 Likes

The article I posted said the number was just 19.4% (392,000) achieved Superhost status in 2017." And that sounds like “achieved” at least once, not maintain for the 4 straight quarters. And on top of that people don’t use them or all of them. Trying to cut a few SHs out by changing to fractional stars wouldn’t save them as much as they spent on a failed lobbying effort in a single city (4 million plus in Jersey City). So…

As multiple people pointed out the big change was over a year ago when they went from 80% 5 star which could be as low as 4.0 (I’m thinking that’s what Mandi meant, now that I think about it) to the 4.8.

1 Like

I stand corrected. However getting to the new standard is unquestionably harder.

2 Likes

Did Airbnb ever allow 0-stars? If a host gets 80% 5-stars and the rest are 1-stars, the average would still be at least 4.2.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. But SH started the same time I did and I don’t remember it. I also never had any problem meeting the standard even when they were in my house with all the dogs. So I really wonder what people who can’t make SH are doing differently.

3 Likes

It’s a weighted average. If you have 10 reviews, and 5 are 5 star, that is 25. If the remaining reviews are 1_star, that’s 5 times 1 equals 5. 25+5 is 30, divided by ten reviews is 3.0.

1 Like

Right, but you could never get 80% 5-stars and have a 4.0 average. You would have at least a 4.2, right?

Using your example:

10 reviews total, 8 are 5-star, 2 are 1-star, so ((8 * 5) + (2 * 1)) / 10 = 4.2

1 Like

Your math is correct. I don’t remember if they published decimal points. But you could survive a one star.
Taking a few steps back, 80% 5 star is pretty good. Few hotels hit this.

2 Likes

Is this a suggestion that Airbnb would try to have fewer Superhos just to save money on the travel vouchers??

Lol. I think we all know that they wouldn’t hesitate to just discontinue the travel voucher program if they want to (and of course not notify anyone either :rofl:).

I also doubt that the $100 voucher is the motivation to keep Superho status for any host anyways. Honestly, even $100 cash wouldn’t be the motivating factor either. I know that it varies by market and listing; however, specific to my situation, I’m sure that the Superho status earns me an extra $100 routinely because I am more competitive and can charge more because of it. I just checked in some guests that are paying $110 more per night than the guests I checked in last year on this date before I had the Superho badge. I hate it and I do feel like a ho :flushed: and I resent all the crap that I take to maintain it but it definitely pays more bills…

1 Like

Good lord! What the hell? That IS maybe the pickiest thing I have EVER heard in a review.

8 Likes