Any idea why Airbnb is trying to engineer fewer Superhosts

I did not receive this email.

What in the email gave you the impression that many hosts would be losing Superhost status? Can you share the email?

1 Like

They’ve always displayed our Star Status to the nearest 0.1 What’s wrong with helpful tips on maintaining Superhost Status? Some people need reminding that you have to maintain good standards to maintain Superhost – they get complaisant.

Why would that flabbergast you? Why does any of that mean lots of people will lose Superhost status? If you can’t keep up, you can’t keep up!

8 Likes

I don’t understand the question.

1 Like

I agree that if everyone is special no one is special. I think 20% of hosts are SH as it is?

Regardless of your feelings about SH status decimal points aren’t going to make much difference. If they really are trying to engineer fewer it’s probably due to the recent bad press about hosts.

3 Likes

I think what you are saying that previously many host were getting Superhost status only because Airbnb was rounding up the ratings. I.e. a rating of 4.75 would round up to 4.8. However, now that they are displaying ratings with 2 decimal places, the rounding up will occur only at a higher value. Specifially, a rating of 4.75 would remain a 4.75 and the lowest number that would actually round up to 4.8 would be 4.795. Meaning any hosts with a rating between 4.75 and 4.795 would lose their Superhost status.

Is that accurate?

Having a background in math/science/engineering, I personally think that the Superhost criteria should be based on the raw number and rounding should only occur for the purpose of display. E.g., a host with a raw rating of 4.7999999 would show as 4.80 on their profile, but would not make a Superhost. Of course, my opinion doesn’t count. Airbnb makes the rules and they can do what they want.

4 Likes

This was discussed last year.

1 Like

Given Airbnb’s basic target rating is already 4.7, I would expect the number of host with a rating between 4.75 and 4.795 would be in the thousands. Assuming they have actually made a change to the rounding scheme they’ve been using vs just changing how they display a host’s rating.

1 Like

I didn’t get this email you’re referring to. Did it say that they are changing the standards or is that your interpretation?

There’s nothing about displaying the decimal points that in and of itself changes anything about SH. The decimal points have always existed, even when they weren’t displayed (kind of like the other half of the moon) :wink:

There are a bunch of Super Hosts in my neighborhood with a 4.75 to 4.79 rating. Math is math. Even Airbnb can’t change that. Those numbers both round to 4.8. If they want to say that the requirement is now a 4.80, well then that’s different but as long as the goal is 4.8, then 4.75 - 4.79 qualifies.

2 Likes

This is the article.

2 Likes

To be perfectly honest, Airbnb is such a small percentage of our business (compared to a year ago) that losing SH would irritate me, but not devestate me.

That said, we would really have to work at it, to force our rating down so far that is! And I suspect we’re not the only host on here like that.

JF

2 Likes

@Bonny Thanks for sharing it! I usually get these but maybe didn’t this time or maybe just missed it.

Regarding initial question,

There’s nothing that implies that it is effecting SH status. In fact, it says the opposite:

This new view doesn’t affect your rating or the overall rating system at all—we’re just updating how your rating appears to guests.

As I said previously, it’s not like those decimal points didn’t always exist, we just weren’t shown them.

Edit to add: I’m sorry @Bonny, but am I misunderstanding something?

3 Likes

I’m at a loss to understand why this should bother anyone. Sure, it’s nice to have the ‘gold star from teacher’ and like @JohnF I’d be mildly irritated at losing it (for about 45 seconds) but I’m sure that other hosts are like me and think rhat there are more important issues than Airbnb’s fake ‘status awards’.

2 Likes

As long as that? Wow!

JF

I am so weak… :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m thinking about this too much. Or maybe not enough :smirk:
But I just figure it gives guests an opportunity to be even more picky.
I’ve had over 800 stays, and like most of us, most of them were fine. But lately people are just so picky.

Here’s one of a bunch . . .

" I feel I must be candid around things that need improving at your home. Whilst the milk in the fridge was unopened, the use by date was 4 days after our arrival and we had booked for 5.
Additionally, we feel it is rude to leave a vacuum in such an obvious place in the apartment as it makes us feel like we are expected to use it." (Dyson stick vac)
Maybe I’m just jaded and not ready for this run of nutters

2 Likes

@Bonny Susan, oh my, what a shitty picky guest; that’s so irritating…

3 Likes

It seems like it was designed to allow guest be more picky. I.e. It allows the guest to choose between one listing or another based on actual ratings and not rounded ratings. We can argue that there’s not a significant difference between one host with a 4.8 and another host with a 4.8, but Airbnb said in the article that 75% of listings are above 4.6. If listings are evenly spread out between 4.6 and 5.0, then there were about 1.3 million listings worldwide that were showing a 4.8 that now show 4.80-4.89, so Airbnb is giving guests another way to distinguish between them. But is it a good thing? I have no idea.

1 Like

In October of 18, Air upped the criteria from 4.0 to 4.8. A lot of good hosts lost SH status. In layman’s terms, 4.8 is ultra elite status. A goal for hosts, and a target for the unscrupulous guest.

It seems to have lost it’s meaning to guests.

1 Like

How many super ho’s get the $100 bonus? What would that multiply out at?

When was the standard for SH EVER 4.0??? I seem to recall it not being 4.0 since I started 3.5 years ago.

1 Like