Another one night guest asks me if they can leave their at my house for 10 days

Okay thanks, I was not certain.

Yes, true. I just updated my listing details to say
Free parking is offered as an amenity to guests on the day(s) they stay at my home. No extended parking beyond your stay please.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll ask. Can I park at your place during my next trip to the UK?

JF

Come and park at mine @JohnF you’re welcome anytime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back to OP’s issue, you say that the guests are nervy to ask to park at your house, but their message actually asks about parking on the street, correct?

Granted it’s odd that the guests seem to be confusing you with the public parking authority, but I don’t understand why their question is so irritating. Just tell them what you told us on the forum, and redirect them to somewhere convenient that won’t clog up your street. Then you’re a nice host helping them with a transportation problem.

“I suggest XYZ parking lot near the airport, for reasonable rates and airport shuttle service. Street parking is risky, as it interferes with garbage pick up and snow removal and can result in your car being towed.”

Then you might get a review comment like “Great host, they helped us figure out where to park our car locally at minimal cost when we flew out of town.”

I share information on parking regulations and provide parking and transportation tips to my guests. It takes little effort to look them up if I don’t already know them from personal experience, and it prevents the unhappy guest experience of a ticket or tow. Guests feel special when they get insider tips.

I also leave a dashboard permit that can be used in my residential parking zone for a limited time, in case guests want to leave their car after check out. A book of temp permits doesn’t cost much in my locality, and I’m in a tourist area so guests often want to get in one last sightseeing day before driving home.

5 Likes

I have plenty of parking at one of my listings and it’s close to the airport. i’m waiting foe this opportunity. Maybe $10 a night? Free money. I’ll take it.

1 Like

Thank you, yer a gem :wink: but I was asking, just to ask.

Believe it or not, we don’t own a car anymore, living in a historic district makes car ownership problematic. Garage space is expensive and the two spaces we rent are usually taken up by our guests. Both of these are 300m or so away from the house, the only other one available closer being way too expensive to purchase a space and its rare one comes up for rent.

On street parking is a nightmare, with just a few spots being chased by everyone who comes into the area.

The upside is that everything we need is within walking (or cycling) distance. Taxis are cheap and, when airport runs are necessary, car hire is (very!) cheap also.

JF
(The accidental carbon fuel eco warrior)

2 Likes

With respect, you are in the accommodation business, not the parking business. It is highly unlikely that your insurance will cover a mishap, damage, or theft. And while parking lots proclaim no responsibility, people can and will sue.

Your neighborhood probably won’t appreciate it, either. Just my opinion.

you are making me miss Rota. I had a beat up old Renault V for part of the time I lived there, that I just left unlocked and empty of any personal belongings. Otherwise the windows would get broken just for the street people to learn there was nothing inside to steal, because there was no private parking.

1 Like

Wow! I’m amazed. The crime level in my neck of the woods is such that a car being vandalised made the local newspaper.

We used to have an open mic(ish) folk night in my local tabanco. Had some really good nights with folks from Rota who came over and brought stuff like Chicago & New Orleans blues, country styles from all over the U.S., and a chance for me to speak English :grin: although I’m not 100% sure they understood my English!

JF

1 Like

One gal there got her window broken in because she left a barette on the dash, the only thing in there to steal. Aside from that, it was a great place to live. I waited until dinner was ready to be plated to send my ex 4 or so doors down to the panaderia so the bread would still be hot. The fruit and veggie stand and small grocery, Los Hermanos Perriquitos, was our next next door neighbors. I think it was all replaced by modern apartments based on Google street views. I still remember my address - 29 Calle Arguelles

Street parking is only legal in my locale for 72 hours. If a vehicle remains on a public street without moving for longer than that, the city can and will tow. Neighbors have and will complain where I live. If I agreed to this I’d have to get their car keys and rotate their vehicle around the neighborhood. Nope! :wink: