Another host reported guest for drug use, guest blamed us

This thread shows just how important it is for hosts to fully educate themselves before they open up for business.

7 Likes

I do not think that is possible, some things you would not even think you had to know, until you do.

RR

5 Likes

That is a quote that all hosts and would-be hosts ought to have embroidered in bright colours and framed on their wall :slight_smile:

And it’s true. But reading posts here, although it might take days, is a great way for hosts to learn about the bizarre things we have to deal with.

2 Likes

500 reviews across our properties. Only two “bad” reviews. And among the two, one was only a complaint about wifi not being powerful in one of the bedrooms.
But this new one being a 1 star review… I’d never seen a 1 star review previous to this.

When you have auto book enabled, one of the options is that in order for the guest to auto book, they must have 3 positive reviews. Then if they have a negative review they cannot auto book. Even if a guest does auto book, you could have called AirBnB support and asked them to cancel because his negative reviews made you uncomfortable and it wouldn’t have affected your superhost status.

However, now that you have his negative review, you need to call AirBnB back and hope that you get an experienced and caring customer disservice person. The content of the AirBnB messages should be enough to convince the AirBnB person to remove the reviews. If they say they can’t, ASK FOR A SUPERVISOR. If the supervisor, can’t, post to the AirBnB account on Twitter. Many folks here have found that if they complain on Twitter that AirBnB suddenly pays attention because they hate negative publicity on Twitter. If you don’t do Twitter, go the the AirBnB official Facebook page and complain.

If you are ever uncomfortable with an instant booking you can cancel up to 3 a year penalty free. After that you need to contact CS

Incorrect . You have 3 penalty free cancellations a year.

Wow, what a jerk.

Do you have the option “recommended by hosts” checked in your IB settings, @Kyiv?

If you don’t currently, you might try enabling it. If you already have it on, then we know it isn’t much of a gatekeeper!

A guest can autobook if they have bad reviews. He did autobook and does have many bad reviews. He has 60% positive reviews, 40% bad reviews.

He got Airbnb to refund him 50% AFTER checking out of an Airbnb in Romania.

If you don’t want to use up your precious quota of “uncomfortable” dismissals, think about parameters like poor communication, was unable to firm up times and dates, etc.

One thing to avoid-and I am sure you thought of this-is using terms that could be read as impinging on his character.

1 Like

I’m unaccustomed to the buttons on this forum. Accidentally deleted my above post. Re-posting here:

Just found out that this guy actually convinced Airbnb to get him a hotel for the night of his check in because we forced him to wait from his 3am arrival at the airport to our planned 6am checkin.

His follow up post to my review of him mentioned that “Airbnb had to intervene”.

1 Like

Aren’t you glad that cockroach is out of your life?

To test my accuracy, I went back on old profiles that I said no to. About one third got other bookings and seemed to work out , But none were stellar. The rest, fugetaboitit. Bottom line: trust your instincts.

2 Likes

Actually it is unlimited. The three limit disappeared at least a year ago and prob two.

Correct. You get 3 penalty-free cancellations that can be done online by selecting “I am uncomfortable with this guest” and after that, you MUST call Airbnb to cancel without penalty. But, that doesn’t mean they won’t try to convince you not to cancel or otherwise threaten your standing in some way.

1 Like

Interesting where on the platform does is say you can only cancel 3 times by yourself. That’s not what it says on the Help Centre @Brian_R170

It says on the Help Centre…

How do penalty-free cancellations work for Instant Book hosts?

Hosts who have Instant Book turned on for their listing can always cancel, without penalty, if they’re uncomfortable with a reservation.

Some examples of when a host can cancel penalty-free include:

• The guest has several unfavourable reviews that concern the host
  • The guest hasn’t responded to questions the host needs to know about their trip
  • The guest makes it clear they’ll likely break one of the host’s house rules, like bringing a pet or smoking

Canceling a reservation without penalty

To cancel a reservation that you’re uncomfortable with:

1. Go to Your Reservations on airbnb.com
  2. Find the reservation that you need to cancel
  3. Select Change or Cancel to start the cancellation process
  4. When prompted to choose a reason for your cancellation, choose “I’m uncomfortable with the reservation or the guest has broken my House Rules”.

When you cancel for this reason, all penalties will be waived

@Helsi I don’t think it says it but that is how it works in reality.

1 Like

You’ll be able to cancel online 3 times in one year for being uncomfortable with a reservation—after that, you’ll have to call into our Community Support team to make the cancellation without penalty.

If you cancel a large number of your instantly booked reservations, you may be required to turn off Instant Book. Remember, you can’t cancel for any reason that violates Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy.

This has been discussed ad nauseum here. Don’t mean to sound cranky but…I guess I do.

2 Likes