Another breakage... This one far more significant

Oh yes it can certainly break of it’s own accord, I had the same event: spontaneous combustion of glass that was only 4 years old! The Glazier explained to me that it was either a flaw in the glass, some sort of expansion issue as the top pane was intact, he strongly suggested I install another product, I now have plexi glass panes.

Sadly there were 3 dogs and my neighbours’ cat in the room, one dog required eye surgery and everyone else had to be treated by the vet and groomer to get the glass out of their coats, not easy!! & very $
I was so thankful that none of the kids were in the atrium when this happened.
It may be a stretch to blame the guests, I would be thankful no one was injured.

Oh I might add that the dogs are not permitted to indulge in champagne when the cat is visiting. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Completely agree. Looks like something inside may have shattered it. Doesn’t take much, especially if there are disparities in temperature inside, outside, and in the air pocket in between panels.

I was installing tempered glass touch screen TV overlays at a client’s store and I lifted out one of the overlays (there were 20 in total) and it shattered while still in the protective framing. With a BOOM!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

1. As per the feedback here and elsewhere on the web, it turns out that glass CAN spontaneously explode. And so, whether they caused it or not, in the battle of he-says-she-says, there is no evidence to support their claim or my accusation.

2. The cost to fix it is about 1/3 of what they’re paying per night (as we’re in super peak season), so the financial value of me insisting on a baseless accusation is not worth it.

And so I decided to apologise for coming to the obvious conclusion that they caused it and that I was working on getting it fixed.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone… much appreciated.

4 Likes

BOOM is right. They don’t ‘shatter’ when they break, they explode. I was in another room when the shower door exploded on my hubby and it was loud and blew glass across two rooms. Very lucky he wasn’t hurt.

1 Like

For some reason I just get a blank page when clicking on the link.

@dpfromva what was the verdict on the product? We are considering glass for our new shower and whether to go with a factory coating, do our own, or perhaps curtains.

We would LIKE to do glass but do not want it to become a potential maintenance nightmare.

Got no responses on it! I just use a damp microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease on mine.

Just be grateful that you are not dealing with a a personal injury suit!