And this is why you don’t do rental arbitrage!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-10/airbnb-ordered-to-pay-owner-of-paris-flat-sublet-behind-her-back

Other than their legal fees I doubt air will end up paying a dime of that. I expect that all of us signed something that makes us fully and solely liable if we falsely claim ownership or the right to host, etc.

Quite a few things out there like this, though the odd rub is trying to hold Air responsible for the actions of a host. That’s silly. Might as well hold Avis responsible for a driver of their rental car.

$47K is a doddle compared to the bloke in London, fined 120,000 quid, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

I like “doddle.” Hadn’t heard it before.

And as a landlord with multiple stand alone homes, it would be the quickest presentation of a lease termination if someone was subletting.
Insurance and city permission are the big ones here!

I have managed 460 + properties as my job for 22 years and am very aware of leases etc.
My issue with arbitrage it is the owner who wears the fines when the tenant does the wrong thing.
I still mange 10 of my own and have been fairly successful at both long and short term rentals.
I would suggest you hang around a little before you make assumptions.

2 Likes

Rather a sweeping generalisation @IamJasonWeber. In the UK standard tenancy leases specifically preclude sub-letting.

Landlords in the US must operate very differently. Most UK landlords I know would see it as completely foolhardy to allow a tenant full reign to sub-let due to the huge costs and difficulties involved in evictions.

2 Likes

Do you write into your agreement that you cover the legal costs for the landlord and the lost rent in situations where the sub-letting tenant refuses to leave?

What about invalidating property building insurance?

Obviously rental arbitrage does work as a model for certain types of landlords in certain countries, but to suggest it is something welcomed by many landlords is simply not true.

1 Like

And the fines on Owners in NYC?

Also in Australia! When I do a lease, I go through every section to ensure the tenant has a full understanding of the contract they are signing.

Well used word where I am in Kent UK

1 Like

I’m also in Kent, t’wixt Dover and Deal, and becalmed by village life in lock down. Also a doddle, if truth be told.

How tall are the hops? When I think of Kent I think of Fuggles and Goldings.

Sadly, no one grows hops locally, boring old farts of farmers. They def drink enough to warrant doing so, but I’m not sure they do well on chalk soil. It’s also very windy here, coming straight off The Channel. The nearest are further inland, about 5-7 miles, nearer Sandwich.

A community hop project was set up in Deal a few years ago, with people invited to participate in growing hops on their own land, and to “sell” them to a local micro brewery for a community brew. We hoped to participate but then B&B took over.

Our once local pub in Deal is infamous for its real ales, usually about 17 on at any one time, with a wall of fame of which barrel has gone in 48 hours. The hop of choice for increasing numbers of brewers is the Citra Hop, a fairly new variety being increasingly taken up by the micros.

The fastest barrel of a Citra beer, to be downed in The Green Berry at one sitting, was achieved by the rugby club and Royal Marines Association last year; one hour and fifty minutes. The barrel was brewed specifically for the RM commemoration weekend of the RM bandsmen murdered by the IRA in 1989.

About 20 participants in all, with a hardcore of 5, mainly ex Paras. When they realised the barrel had gone, they sat wondering why they had made the RMA look so good.

I didn’t help; I’m a Lager Lout.

I was an overseas CAMRA member from '79 to '90. My brother and I were introduced to real ale in Devonport, Plymouth at a pub with 24 pumps. I tried to drink my way around in half pints and my brother had to almost carry me back to the B&B.

3 years later, craft brewing in the US took off when a Scottish hop buyer in the US hop growing center, Yakima, Washington, brewed his first batch of Grant’s Scottish Ale. Bert and his brewery have passed on, but craft beer is now a huge part of the US beer market.

We have 4 here in our small Alaska town, including the 22nd largest craft brewery in the US, which started in 1986. This was going to be the year I started doing a 4 brewery tour, but…

Now, REAL lager, as you find in Germany or at craft lager breweries, is actually drinkable beer. But mass produced lagers? I’d rather drink water. I’m a heavy ale guy — happy with a Belhaven 80 Shilling or Theakston’s Old Peculier. :wink:

1 Like

My loutish drinking habit was, sadly. the only choice I had when I went to live/work in Bahrain early '80’s. Prior to that, it was all CAMRA endorsed real ales.

I was also carried back to a B&B! Or rather, dragged; early '70s, after a night of Theakston’s Old Peculiar at their brewery pub in Masham, N Yorks. All I remembered the next day, was the stuffed half of a polar bear on the wall, and wondering if the other half went through the wall into the brewery.

I’m now waiting for someone to ask what real ale has to do with rental arbitrage!

I’m not far from you Joan - in Canterbury, and also experiencing ‘village life’ due to the city being devoid of the usual throng of tourists and shoppers

You’re not far at all. We’re in Guston, with Canterbury our main shopping destination, although usually early on a Sunday to avoid the crowds/tourists. The French school kids seem to leave their usually very good manners at the Port!

I love the City, but above all, I am filled with longing for the Royal Inn Chinese Restaurant; food to die for.