Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

And my loss for the year is (drumroll) .

Thought I’d revive this thread as I finally finished my taxes. My STR loss for 2020 was $3806. This is only for the first half of 2020 since I switched to LTR in July. Excluding depreciation of the house for the half-year, the out-of-pocket loss is only $697. It’s actually a little worse than I expected, but thankfully not a complete disaster.

1 Like

It’s tax time again here so we’ve been going over our financials for last year, all I can say is that I wish I was you…

JF
Skint of Jerez

I definitely have more sympathy for hosts where STR is primary income vs. a side gig. I know that I have really low overhead. I paid off my mortgage early in 2020 and the interest for the entire year was only $83. Also, since I also knew I couldn’t go back to STR at the same time the pandemic started, I was able to immediately cut expenses by switching my insurance, disconnecting internet, turning off the water heater, unplugging the refrigerator, etc.

Honestly, if my overhead wasn’t so low, I don’t think I would’ve attempted STR. If I had purchased my listing in Dec 2018 (the time I started hosting) with a loan for an income property (interest rates in the 4.0% range), I don’t see how I could’ve have made a profit in the first 5 years, longer if I had to hire cleaners.

2 Likes
Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!