An important coronavirus message from the moderators

The active moderating team for the forum, @kkc @jaquo, @bigappledude and @LCL, have decided that until further notice, we are going to be closing threads that are not contributing in a positive way to helping other Airbnb hosts through this time of crisis. We encourage hosts to maintain a positive attitude and remember that Airbnb did not cause the coronavirus and that this is an unprecedented situation. Let’s all try to help each other through this difficult time.

We greatly appreciate all the new members just joining or old members who we always count on to advise us on the medical and scientific aspects, people with advisories about possible scams and hacks, those with advice about cleaning regimes or suggested wording on dealing with refund requests outside of Airbnb policies. People with concrete, positive suggestions and solutions are always welcome.

We are not going to become a platform for profiteers, spammers and shills to kick Airbnb while they are down. We understand the anger and frustration but this is a public forum which can be read and searched by anyone, member or not. This forum gets quoted and screen captured in the media and is high in google searches. It is not in anyone’s best interest, least of all the forum owner’s, to let it become a whining free for all.

There are dozens of new members, unknown to us, who claim to be hosts that have lost money with the current Airbnb policies but we have no way of verifying this. There is no reason to allow an Airbnb community, paid for by an individual and moderated by volunteers, to be commandeered by people with unknown agendas.

If there is someone with whom you would like to connect then join the forum, read and contribute in a positive way. Over time you can access the messaging function of the forum. The software is predicated on a trust system in which time spent on the forum is rewarded with privileges such as posting links or messaging other members.

If this forum doesn’t suit your needs, there are places such as Reddit.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

18 Likes

I greatly appreciate the moderators here. Y’all have certainly had your hands full the past few days and yet you never lost your patience.

LOL

6 Likes

Oh, does that mean I can’t start selling bog roll at €5 a roll (plus P&P) on here then?

JF

P.S. Yes, you have all been very patient, more so than me I’m afraid :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’ve been itching to close down threads, glad to see this.

RR

5 Likes

Well, helpful posts are welcome. But you’ll have to sell at cost plus shipping. LOL.

2 Likes

Thank you for doing your thankless jobs with such grace and clarity. Reddit indeed. :wink: lmao

4 Likes

An important message to our new friends: Lurk more. :wink:

With love,
:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for everything you all do…

I have no clue what “reddit” is?! Thinking that is a good thing?

3 Likes

Good is relative. I’ve definitely gotten good info there. It’s like the UFC and we are trying to be more like Olympic Boxing.

Seriously… it’s a website and app. Wikipedia describes it better than I can:

is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Registered members submit content to the site such as links, text posts, and images, which are then voted up or down by other members. Posts are organized by subject into user-created boards called “subreddits”, which cover a variety of topics like news, science, movies, video games, music, books, fitness, food, and image-sharing. Submissions with more up-votes appear towards the top of their subreddit and, if they receive enough up-votes, ultimately on the site’s front page. Despite strict rules prohibiting harassment, Reddit’s administrators spend considerable resources on moderating the site.[5]

2 Likes

I love when I see people say they’ve never heard of the cesspool that self-importantly touts itself as “The Front Page of the Internet”.

5 Likes

I rarely post but read threads daily. I have always thought you were saints for some of the shennanigans here. Not a job I envy but I do appreciate all the hard work done in the background here.

6 Likes

New person and pain in the ass here! I am a fairly new host and I was whiney before all of this happened. I lost a lot of money, but in the end, it will work out. :sunny:

Thanks for keeping things peaceful here.

5 Likes

Just want to show my appreciation for all the work the moderators put into this forum. I’ve had about 6 cancellations just this week for our listing in Sweden, which is unprecedented. Like anyone else we just try to ride out the storm. But for how long is anyone’s guess…

2 Likes