Amenities: What's it worth?

In a market where pricing and offerings are very diverse, it has been challenging to determine if prices are too high or if I’m leaving money on the table. Obviously you’re going to pay more for a 2000 square foot house than you are a 1 room cabin but how much more?

Suppose the base rate for any “whole place to yourself” for four guests in the market is 100. Pick your currency. They all have running water, electricity, a/c, heat, the things that are required of all listings (a bed) and are for the sake of this experiment, all equally clean and well managed.

If you can pick a la carte to add these amenities, how many units of currency are they worth? (I used base price as 100 so it’s a percentage over base price more you’re paying for each thing.)

(Base is whole place, sleeps 4 price =100). What price (percentage more) would you pay for these things if they matter to you:

• Second bedroom (so your two couples aren’t sharing a communal romp!)
  • Half bath in addition to full bath
  • Second full bath
  • Full kitchen
  • Washer and dryer
  • Supplies provided (soap, shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, cleaning supplies, oil, salt, pepper, foil/saran wrap, baggies, etc.)
  • Scenic view
  • Continental breakfast
  • Hot tub
  • River or lake access on or immediately adjacent to property
  • Walking distance to something people want to be near
  • Accommodations for your three pit bulls
  • Big and tall furniture (high quality, supportive, oversized)
  • Baby equipment (crib, high chair, bathing tub, whatever else mom normally has to lug around that host can provide)

Thanks in advance for any discussion on this.

I personally would pay more for a second bedroom and second bathroom since I like to travel with my daughter and we both like having our own space at the end of the day. I would not pay extra for a continental breakfast because I’m vegan and would prefer to make my own breakfast, therefore, I would want a kitchen. So I think different guests have different needs and it’s impossible to cater to everyone.

1 Like

What percentage more, all other things being equal?

Accommodations for my 3 pit bulls…well actually I only have one but I do want to bring all 3 dogs. I’d probably pay about 20% more. But I am most likely already at max because I would most likely be traveling alone or with one person so getting a place for 4 would be overkill for me.

1 Like

A kennel is $25 a day per dog. So it should be worth it to pay the same amount to bring them along with you.

All the rest, IDK it is so subjective. I have my 3 bedroom 2 bath broken down to three listings, they are all for the whole house

whole house 285 per night
2 bedroom 1 bath 185 per night
1 bedroom 1 bath 105 per night.

if any are booked they are linked so they cancel the others. (sorta, I have to keep one off IB)

I can accomplish this by locking doors to extra bedrooms and baths

I also keep the cheaper listings 2 day minimum on weekends, and may change them on Thursday if nothing booked.

RR

We charge $15 per dog per day, capped at $45 per week. I have waived the 2nd pet’s fees recently on a 4-day reservation, and waived fees for three pets on an additional day when the guest extended from 2 to 3 days. She was so stellar I told her that her three pet dogs can stay at the same rate in the future as the 4th dog, a service animal, they also travel with - $0.

My amenities for pets include 2 kennel boxes in the back yard that are enclosed with 8’ pens so if someone needs to leave a jumper behind who can’t be contained in a 4’ horse fence, they can do that. We do allow pets to be left unattended and nobody else does, because we have the space for that to be appropriate. We have a large dog door. We allow them to be left unattended including through the dog door inside to the climate control (they can get into the laundry/mud room but not run at large in the house). And …

5 Likes

As much as 50%. That’s how important it is for me to have that extra space.

1 Like

Wow, that’s awesome! I’d stay w u!

2 Likes

I have to pay my farm Sitter whenever I leave whether the dogs come with me or not so technically it would cost nothing but I understand your point.

• Second bedroom (so your two couples aren’t sharing a communal romp!)

30% more. I don’t usually travel in a group but do like having the space of 2 bedrooms sometimes anyways.

• Half bath in addition to full bath

0% more. I don’t think I’ve had more than one bath all my life and can’t fathom why I’d need one.

• Second full bath

0% more. See above.

• Full kitchen

30% more if I wanted a kitchen - most destinations I prefer to eat out but in some places or long stays I’d want a kitchen. We get at least 30% more for our units with a full kitchen, more during holidays.

• Washer and dryer

0% more. I hardly do laundry at home. I’d prefer a bottle of febreze, since I’m lazy.

• Supplies provided (soap, shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, cleaning supplies, oil, salt, pepper, foil/saran wrap, baggies, etc.)

0% more. But if there’s a full kitchen, I’d expect these things to be there.

• Scenic view

20% more. If it’s a view I think I’d appreciate. More if there’s an outdoor space to view it from.

• Continental breakfast

0% more. I don’t eat breakfast.

• Hot tub

0% more. I just don’t like hot tubs.

• River or lake access on or immediately adjacent to property

50% more but only if it’s clean and warm enough to swim in, otherwise 20% more.

• Walking distance to something people want to be near

50% more. I immediately save money on transportation and believe walking is the best way to explore a place.

• Accommodations for your three pit bulls

75% more. I don’t have 3 pit bulls but I prefer to travel with my dog. I’d pay more to any host that is willing to host 3 pit bulls purely out of conviction. I always pay more to stay in a nice place with my dog.

• Big and tall furniture (high quality, supportive, oversized)

0% more. Sounds awful (but I’m short). If the furniture was big and tall and that wasn’t noted, I’d be annoyed about it. I hate my feet dangling on a regular size chair already.

• Baby equipment (crib, high chair, bathing tub, whatever else mom normally has to lug around that host can provide)

0% more. No baby.

2 Likes

Thanks for such a thorough and thoughtful response. I’m little too and my feet always dangle lol. But the men in my life (dad and hubby) are both 6’4" so my house is furnished accordingly. And it’s noted in the listing because I notice a lot of rickety looking furniture that my Paul Bunyan dad wouldn’t even try sitting/sleeping on, I thought it would sound good to people like him.

In our area, some properties have river access. But I’m noticing that while it makes them more appealing (and book faster) when the river is running, it costs them in accuracy ratings and disappointed comments in reviews when the river is low and dried up across their fork of it. They include pictures of the river at its peak after a heavy rain, which isn’t representative of the area 75% of the time, then expect to disclaim it with words “call us about the river level if this matters to you”. No, how about take the Noah’s river pictures down and show what it looks like 75% of the year? So honestly in our area I think the river access in some cases costs a negative percentage in the long run!

1 Like

@lonestar Do you mean my dog could only stay in the mudroom while I’m out for a bit? I can’t imagine my dog sitting in a mudroom. Would crating her be a suitable alternative for you?

I have had a couple of people inquire and ask about the size of things stating because they were tall, you may be on to something there. It’s an interesting niche!

1 Like

Dogs have the entire orange marked area, in addition to the climate controlled mud room, which they access through a large dog door between back porch and mud room. This picture is on our listings.

3 Likes

I imagine the river properties do have a challenge with that. I grew up on rivers (in Texas!) so would do research and ask questions about their rivers for sure if I was paying more to have direct access but imagine a lot of folks get duped. As a host, it seems like quite the risk to take to advertise river access without being transparent about it’s fluctuating state.
I’m curious, what river are you near?

They think they’re being transparent with their words, but “people don’t read” and the photos are deceptive if you know how our spring/high aquifer fed rivers work when the rains dry up for the summer.

I’d rather overdisclose and scare people away (I make the scorpions and snakes sound way worse than they are, frankly because “city slickers”) than take a beating in the reviews.

1 Like

That’s a beautiful property! I imagine people with outdoor dogs would be completely thrilled! I have a pampered city dog. We have a huge yard but she’s not interested in being out there unless we are. Also, I wouldn’t leave her unattended - I’m guessing there are some scorpions under those rocks as well as other wildlife.

If you don’t have “Supplies” as you call them, you aren’t going to get many people to book. I would not fly/drive and stay anywhere that didn’t at least provide toilet paper, soaps, kitchen basics (if there is a kitchen to use) etc.

If there’s a kitchen I would not pay anything for a continental breakfast – I’m a gourmet chef and would pick up food to prepare on the way to your place.

I don’t care about washer/dryer

2 Likes

Thank you! The little building, top left, is the well house. The prior owners ingeniously designed the kennels around it. The kennel boxes are self contained but built into the sides of the well house. There are hinges and latches to open them up from the inside for easy clean-out. Off of each of the 2 sides where the kennel boxes are, there is a good sized pen with the 8" fencing. They can leave the doors open on the pens for dogs who are accustomed to sleeping kenneled, or like I said, close them in the pens if they have to leave jumpers behind. (It’s easy to jump off that deck, the structure to the right, out of the enclosure if the dog is left alone so yes they would need to be penned or closed in the mud room if they are the type to go flying off the raised deck across that fenceline to go after a deer.

I’m absolutely astounded at the local competitors who not only don’t provide supplies, some don’t even provide bed linens and towels!!!