Am I crazy to not identify the family member in a review?

We get a lot of groups that are related (as told to me by the guest). I developed the habit of simply calling other members of the party as “companions” in the review no matter how the guest referred to the rest of the group. Am I being too careful? I’m fairly sure we’ve had some guests that were married, but not to each other.

1 Like

I’ve read posts where hosts had said something in the review like “XX and YY (using their names) were great guests…” and the guest got really upset and asked the host to remove the review, for the reason you state.

If it’s totally obvious that guests are a married or committed couple, then no harm in naming them, otherwise I wouldn’t even bother to mention anyone else, as the review is only for the booking guest anyway, who is ultimately responsible for the behavior of their group or companions.

5 Likes

I use they and them, covers everybody and makes it easy on me.

RR

3 Likes

I deliberately avoid naming names – and say X and family or X and travelling companions just on the general principle of guarding privacy

Because both our apartments are one bedroom/one bed, I host many couples who are not necessarily with their permanent partner.

I have learned over the years to review ‘Claire and her friend’ or ‘John and his colleague’ or ‘Mary and her traveling companion’’

Best way.

2 Likes

That works unless hubby told his wife he was going on a business trip alone. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I just write “Guest name that booked’s group”. For example John’s Group. Short, to the point and I don’t have to remember everyone’s names and relationship.

1 Like

that’s another reason to use they/them

Muddy was a great guest, they left the place clean and are welcome back anytime.

4 Likes

If the guest’s guests are included on the reservation by name then I include their name(s). I figure if they’ve gone through the trouble to include themselves on the reservation they’d prefer to get credit for their own profile so I don’t deny them that. I know that I’d like to be mentioned if I’m on the reservation (assuming a good review haha). Otherwise, I just say “and guest”.

As a side note, I always I always mention their dog(s) by name because dogs change over the years, and whether the dogs were good guests or not. As a pet-friendly host and traveler it is very helpful to have the pets mentioned in the review.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Emmanuel Katto from Uganda and I fell like you should do the identification of the family members too…

Uh oh, I think we have another AI poster!

3 Likes

There are two this a.m., flagging away.

Thanks for flagging. Bots now dealt with. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They and them is always a safe option.
Helps navigate several potential minefields.

1 Like