Am I being too petty?

Would never work… at least not with Air. You can only charge a deposit for damages. You may be able to do this with another platform or on your own, but I still wouldn’t. You have to charge a security deposit in case of damaged items. I don’t think you then want to add a cleaning “deposit” that is refundable. You still have to clean it afterwards anyway.

1 Like

I don’t think that expecting things to be left neat/tidy is expecting too much at all, but that’s me. Leaving wet towels on the furniture, glass rings on wood tables, etc. say to me that the guests didn’t respect your things. I would give them 3 stars for “Cleanliness” and explain the reason(s) at the end of the review section where you can provide info to Airbnb that’s not shared with the guest. I wouldn’t mention anything about your dissatisfaction in their public review, but would say something to them in the private comments section. Good luck :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve never written anything to the “only Airbnb” feedback. I just assumed it went into a mailbox somewhere, never to be read.

Maybe I will.

We expect our guests to clean up after themselves and clearly articulate that on our laminated check-out procedures sheet. Dishes washed and put away, used towels and sheets in tub or shower, nothing left in fridge- and please wipe up any spills, etc. Since we have clearly defined what we expect our guests have been grand. I certainly do not think you are being petty.

1 Like

Yes this is where education about Airbnb comes in - we love the idea of sharing until we realize everyone is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM US.

Just add a rule to your house rules: CLEAN IT UP. And BE there to check and watch over them.

Not petty IMO. That’s quite a mess. I’d be shocked to walk into that. I agree with others who would note in a lower star rating for cleanness and maybe a quick line of ‘could have picked up a little after themselves before checking out’. Someone else’s tissues are the worst for me! Yuck…

I am about to have my first whole house booking and frankly if I came back to the second photo and the other things you mention I would be pissed. I state very clearly several times in my listing that the cottage must be returned to me in the same condition it was rented in. No garbage left anywhere, nothing in the sink, dishwasher or washer & dryer, and all surfaces clean. I also state that any damage or additional cleaning required due to guests behaviour will be taken from the security deposit. Extra cleaning if smoking has been found to have occurred is the big one. Not sure if I can make a claim for that, but I am working on the assumption that guests don’t know that.

To me, this almost sounds as if you expect guests to leave the place ready for the next set of guests to move in.

I do think the second photo was on the messy side for sure. If I found a place looking like that, I would deduct some stars for cleanliness and probably mention it in private feedback. That being said, I’d only do so to point out their behavior in comparison to that of most guests, who do tend to be neater than that.

I guess I tend to land on the side with other posters who take it in stride. Yes, it’s going to add some time to your turnover, but so it goes. My guests are usually on vacation and I want them to relax and enjoy themselves. I don’t see the point in asking them to leave the place looking almost as though they were never there, when I am going to clean everything again anyway.

3 Likes

This is a pretty tough policy. I would not book your place based on this as I would be very nervous that I would not live up to your standards and I am a very neat person. I think it’s unreasonable to expect guests to leave the place exactly as they found it. Of course, garbage should be thrown out, no dirty dishes left.

2 Likes

If for some reason I cannot get to the cottage the next day I just can’t have wet towels in the washer or dirty dishes in the sink or dishwasher. I don’t expect people to clean the place, not do any laundry at all, just don’t leave yucky stuff around that could fester over a day or 2 if I am not there to clean it up. Pretty much leave it as you find it, but I assume people understand I do not expect them to wash the bed linen and towels!

1 Like

I ask guests to return the studio as they found it. This means wash your dishes, clean up after yourself, no dirty stove, take the trash and strip the bed.

These are reasonable things to ask. I started out without asking this and got mess after deplorable mess. I don’t expect them to escrow clean it like I do, obviously… I don’t expect them to get on ladders and clean the fan tops or sliding glass door tracks. But please, clean up after yourself in the most basic way.

You have to train guests in how you want them to behave. I also charge a cleaning fee, and have only had a couple newbie type guests object. They were also a pain in other ways and didn’t get it, and I’d never want them back.

1 Like

Be careful with not having anyone be able to check the cottage until the next day. I once had guests use dish lotion soap instead of dishwashing detergent to start the dishwasher before they left.

I happened to be there cleaning and suds and water were all over the hardwood floors in the kitchen. I don’t know what would have happened if the floors were left flooded overnight.

Oh god, that would be a disaster. I know I do need to be there before the 48hours is up, in case I have to make a claim on my security deposit. Have not had a whole house rental yet, first one is not till Christmas, I am sure I will pick up some excellent tips on the way!

I do not have a cleaning service… I rent 28 nights out of the month so to pay someone daily would negate any profit I’d make. I live on the property and do all the cleaning myself.

Oh, this is one of my pet peeves! And when I first had my new cleaning lady in I forgot that she also wouldn’t know where everything went, so when a guest asked me if there were any wine glasses I was puzzled (I may have mentioned that wine is a big thing round our way …:wink:.) And of course there were wine glasses … at the back of the food cupboard, behind the pasta.

So actually I don’t mind a bit of a mess left around the place as it means I can make sure everything goes back where it belongs. As long as it’s not as messy as when my kids and grandkids leave I can handle it!

But Natalie asked if she was being too petty and I think the answers have shown that this is the wrong question. Easy-going or strict is a personal attribute and has to be taken into consideration in your hosting style. So it doesn’t matter if some of us think it’s petty and others that you should be even stricter. If it offends you and you’ve given guests notice about what you expect, then they abide by it or get penalised in the ratings. Simples!

4 Likes