Alternatives to Airbnb2

This is correct. I have looked at my recent reservations and Airbnb charges me 3% (of course) and the guests get charged slightly over 12%, the total is… surprise… about 15%.

I’m based in Ontario. The rules of ABB are changing fast. However, 2 summers ago a couple demoed my bed. I took pics, sent them, the couple argued that the bed broke from no fault of theirs and that they ended up on the floor in the middle of the night. ABB was very sharp, knew that the couple were lying (especially since the young woman gushed about what a great stay they had and that they’d be back) and sent me $500. So simple. But so in the past, I guess.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Where are you located and how would you describe the demographic that you get through kijiji? Also, how do you process payment, and do you charge a damage fee? Thank you.

I like that description. Would you be okay sharing a link to your listing so that I can see how you market your place? When I travel, I stay at 3-star places. I’m fine with that.I would be fine if my place received a 3-star-and-up review average, but of course ABB will penalize you if you go below 4. My average is 4.5, but it’s a bit too much worry to keep that rating going. Thank you.

1 Like

In our parts, Craigslist is called “Flake List”. No one uses it for STA’s. ABB just has the most cache hands down around here.

For us, it works out at around 15% to the guest and 3% for us. It’s why I’m considering going down the all inc route with Airbnb. Just makes everything so much simpler.

JF

Oh dear if you haven’t done sol already, I suggest you work into your title and open photo that it is for one person. And again in your introduction. Hopefully it will minimise your issues.

However I don’t understand if you have a maximum set to one person how two people are able to book?

You are mixing up the hotel star ratings and Airbnb here which is like comparing apples and orangutans but yes.

3 Likes

Because they book as one guest and say more are coming…

Ah that makes sense, it’s unfortunate the OP has been unlucky to have that happen three times in a row.

1 Like

The Kijiji demographic is a peg or two up on Ctaigslist. And miles ahead of university listings. It’s my preferred source for postgrads and doctors on rotation. Including internationals.

Thank you, Helsi. They make the booking request and then they message me and say that actually there are two of them. That’s when I decline. ABB penalizes you if you decline requests. I find it so dictatorial that they impose sanctions on you when it’s your personal space.

Ah, you’re so lucky you’re near a Uni and teaching hospital. Score!

So what do you get charged? You say that BDC just increased by 1.1% and they are still cheaper by going directly through them. Yet you say that 1.4% (let’s omit the tiny transaction fee) is what Stripe users pay. So…where is the difference here? Outside using a European card costs the owner 2.9%.

What I am asking is if an American books through you directly, how does BDC save you on CC fees?

And a UNESCO biosphere. Who knew that Hamilton’s hairy bits could be so great?

Getting pressure from b.com to become a genius member which means a 10% discount for their genius members.
So 10% + 14% + 1.9% card fees = 25.9% fees off the top! I asked if they were reducing their fees - oohhh no!

1 Like

Insulting people immediately means they will not listen to you. Actually probably flip the computer screen the bird as they skip on by.

4 Likes

Which is why I say DON’T decline anymore. Just call Airbnb for them to deal with it.

3 Likes

Do your house rules say only one person?

Ask them to cancel. If they won’t, call ABB support and tell them that they want to violate your house rules, so ABB cancels them.

3 Likes