Alert other hosts to guests who get disproportionate compensation

That’s not what I was told. I was told if guests chooses to stay even if amenity is missing they are entitled to 50% refund.

I am.not sure how they were refunded anything at all if internet was only slow. They couldn’t watch Netflix? And based on that they were refunded 50% ? That’s just crazy. How many times I stayed in hotels with absence of hot water, internet so slow it’s Jon existent, power went off for the whole night, etc…and noone ever gave me any refund

3 Likes

Thinking that this is the part where you ask the CSR to escalate this.

3 Likes

I would never have agreed to refund anything over this, I would keep on the phone, email everyday, facebook and twitter until they reversed this and paid themselves. You got screwed @sucre

RR

2 Likes

I think that each CSR just makes up the rules how they personally interpret them. There are no set rules about this. That’s why I would call and call again if they told me I had to refund that much for something as silly as internet. I mean, unless someone was staying for business and needed internet to work at the property every day, it’s not a necessary amenity like utilities.

3 Likes

So the answer is to post your story on a public forum where anyone in the world can read it and think it is an Airbnb normal procedure?

You’ve said in a previous thread …

… that the guest was complaining a lot - but you have decided to ‘give a good review’. This is despite the fact that the internet outage was beyond your control. You also said…

I’m also up for superhost in January so there is no way I’m getting a bad review even if it means reimbursing the full amount

So what exactly did you tell the world there? That guests can do anything they like, that you’ll refund them because you’ll ‘do anything’ to avoid a bad review?

And by the way, if you search the internet you’ll find plenty of comments suggesting that Airbnb is ‘slanted’ towards the hosts and not the guests.

1 Like

Does that apply to all amenities?

What if the hair dryer doesn’t work? Is that really worth half off the rate???!!
Crazy.

I can understand if for important things like heat, water, AC, but where do they draw the line?

2 Likes

There should be polices about major appliances and.minor. I would.understand no.internet at all. But “slow”’…that’s ridiculous. How many times I stayed at Airbnbs and internet was so slow practically non existent. I just used my own or went out to coffee shops.
It never occurred to.me to even.ask.for.any refund

3 Likes

:neutral_face::frowning:

I thought this was a support forum, I’m looking for help. My bad.

This is a forum where hosts discuss issues related to their roles as a host.

You came here and asked for advice as a relatively new host.

You have been given lots of help and advice.You just don’t like the help you were given. by some hosts.

As an Airbnb community part of our role as hosts is to provide honest reviews so other hosts understand what your experience with a guest have been like. .

You have chosen to leave a netural, rather than an honest review and refund this guest because you fear a bad review could jepordise your SH status.(you do realise however much you refund the guest they can leave you a bad review anyway).

2 Likes

In what sort of way would having this review help you to adapt once this guest was with you and requested a 50% discount because an amenity failure outside of your control happened?

In the TOS you are meant to be given the opprtunity to fix problems, evidenced by the app. Was there no discussion with Airbnb?

1 Like

That’s where you are in error. We all love to help new hosts and help each other but if you’re looking for a support forum as such, you’d be better using the official Airbnb set up. We’re just here to chat, exchange stories (and grievances) vent and discuss latest Airbnb developments, but we’re more than happy to give advice too. As it says in the header:

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Here are the site’s FAQ if you didn’t see them already.

https://airhostsforum.com/faq

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what, if anything you’ve done to try and figure out why the internet is slow? If you list internet and a Smart TV as amenities, I would expect to be able to watch a movie on Netflix. Would I expect 50% off? No, but I would expect a host to act concerned and be calling the provider/testing speed, etc. to try and remedy the problem. As a guest, if I felt the host made every effort, then I would still leave a good review but perhaps mention the slow internet and that you were working on it. Fast internet is important to people. I know that some people choose our place (one of the deciding factors) because they can come back after a day of sightseeing or business (I have a regular business guest that told me that she chooses our place because I offer Hulu) and watch a movie. Changing rooms/finding alternate accommodation could be a hassle. My point is are you sure these folks were scammers, or did they have a legitimate complaint? Were they expecting 50% off, or just something reasonable? Just trying to look at the situation through the guests’ eyes.

OK got it! So sorry for bothering you guys with my newbie questions.

1 Like

Hey no, it’s not a bother, really :slight_smile:

We love answering questions. It’s just that if you’re looking for a support forum and official answers, this isn’t the place. We’re all different and can’t agree about the simplest things (duvets? electric kettles?) so for definitive answers, this isn’t the place.

For lots of learning though, quite a bit of daftness and a modicum of fun, this is the place. (Although we can be quite sensible sometimes) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had a situation where the guest couldn’t access the internet at all for his entire stay, and it was my fault. The Airbnb said that 1/3 of the daily rate was the compensation required.

You offered them a 50% discount while they were there and offered to help them find a new place and they turned both down???

Has this worked before River Rock Retreat? I hadn’t thought to do more than keep them on the phone to ask for Supervisor (when they inevitably just tell me they are the supervisor- haha)

Persistence always works.

RR