Air's new pet policy

Could not agree more if I tried.

2 Likes

We are lucky, our only No-Pet-Breaking-Rule-Guest-with-Cat-Damage was VRBO. We already got a bunch of cash and are now waiting on the damage claim.
We are structured to be pet and animal exempt. It should be so with any private property!

I donā€™t allow pets. I donā€™t allow infants. This is my house and I make the rules. Plain and simple. There are plenty of airb&b in the area that are pet and infant friendly.

5 Likes

Is that a $40 per dog fee per night?

Yes ā€¦ or generally $200 per week. ( discount of $10).

1 Like

Iā€™ve never charged a pet fee anyway but I looked at the pet fee setting. and the only limitation to what I could set as a fee was limited to my average nightly price. Right now, because itā€™s the dead season, that is only $179 but it will let me set a pet fee of $178. I went to the calendar and raised the prices to $500 and it let me set a pet fee of $499.

Also, you just put in your house rules what you pet limits are. The article about the new pet settings actually encourages this. Iā€™ve always had a house rule that says that dogs (because we only accept dogs) must be pre-approved prior to booking and itā€™s always been easy peasy to get a request withdrawn or a guest cancelled when they have not gotten their dogs pre-approved before booking. (Clearly I donā€™t cancel guests just because of that but it is handy when needed/desired).

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/what-you-need-to-know-about-hosting-pets-463

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I saw as well. I asked someone what the source of that ā€œ$50 max pet feeā€ was but they didnā€™t know. I donā€™t know if it was this pet thread or another one.

2 Likes

I think most people just add the fee on afterwards and ask for the money via resolution center. I allow pets with no fee, guests appreciate it, and my listing is a separate house. If I had an issue with pet damage or excess cleaning I would go through the resolution center just as any other damage claim.

1 Like

I just read two Airbnb articles regarding ā€˜service animalsā€™ and it sounds like they are saying that anyone can bring any animal at any time without telling anyone and with no fees if they are an Emotional Support Animal. And, of course, the definition of that is up to the customer. And owners canā€™t refuse them. Anyone getting anything different?

1 Like

It depends. Some hosts are entirely exempt, especially outside the USA.
Even in the US, many are exempt especially home shares (BR in a house listing). There are ways that ā€œentire stayā€ listings can also be exempt, for various reasons.
Itā€™s always a good idea to include language in the listing and house rules.

@RockHouse You are correct. According to Airbnbā€™s TOS, in most cases, guests can bring dogs even to non-dog-allowing HR whole-house listings (for free), if they elect to be horrible people. The definition of ESA is whatever the dog owner wants it to be. And you canā€™t even ask about it. Itā€™s repugnant. And I canā€™t wait for the day when it stops.

All of our listings are dog friendly. Thereā€™s just too much money in it. And our experience (surprisingly) is that the vast majority of guests declare and happily pay for their dogs. But about 5% claim itā€™s an ESA. And every single time, itā€™s the same: They grotesquely put their hands on their proverbial hips and declare how ā€œcrucialā€ their ESA their dog is, and how entitled they are to NOT pay for it. Barf.

Again, Iā€™m just glad itā€™s not that many guests who elect to be scum.

4 Likes

Parvo comes to mindā€¦

RR

1 Like

I always chuckle a little when I see you mention this option. Thanx for the smile!

1 Like