Air's new pet policy

Oh ok! I thought you could do it for just those w/ pets not those w/out.

It’s a darn shame. I imagine that many a happy dog enjoyed your cabins and all the interesting flora and fauna just past a closed door.
How Fking idiodic that they didn’t allow Hosts to set MaxPets. Oh wait, we are talking about Air? I forgot. It’s so hard to roll out a new feature properly with a mere 14 years of experience …

5 Likes

I charge $200 per dog with max of 3 . No way I would take in dogs and give up that income. I Will’s continue accepting dogs on VRBO but not through Airbnb unless I can figure out a way to circumvent this too.

1 Like

I use OwnerRez too and will be watching for the best practices on this

1 Like

Please note - in theory every “software connected host” will have Air’s “simplified pricing applied”.

That is MASSIVE! I’m sure some guests take the whooping often, but do you feel it also costs you guests on a consistent basis?

2 Likes

Paul from OR responded, and they are still in the dark. No api updates or guidance yet from AirBnb. I have stopped accepting pets for now, I may limit my max stays for awhile and allow ONE dog until hopefully OR comes up with a solution.

RR

1 Like

Until they roll out the next layer of stuff, seems like you could simply as you always have. You allow pets, set the limit in your listing and house rules, and validate each booking party as they IB.
Heads in beds, heads in doggie beds, more money for you and the guest implicitly agrees to house rules when they book.
I don’t see any real difference between a week ago and now, except that a guest can actually select “# of pets” at time of booking. There does not yet seem to be any Pet Fee option. I even changed ours to pets allowed, then looked at fees and nothing new (then changed back to no pets).

Obviously no. That is why I am willing to charge and they are willing to pay. Where can you board a dog for less than $40 a night?

1 Like

What I see is Air setting the expectations of nearly unlimited pets, no regards to dogs/cats/horses and actually providing a link in the booking window to tell guests they can declare fido as a service animal and hosts cannot question it.

I feel like my allergies are going to flare up.

I will see if bookings actually suffer before I make any changes for now.

RR

7 Likes

It depends on the town. I charge $30 a night and an added $25 for each added dog. No one has ever boarded more than 3 from one family with me, it’s cheaper to get a house sitter. I’m definitely not the cheapest in town. In other parts of the country though, most people who do what I do charge $40 and up.

1 Like

coff coff. achoo :wink:

I’m all for heads in beds, but I don’t want pets/dogs/even service animals (real ones, not the internet paper ones). My cat would not be pleased and I have good furniture that a fake service animal could ruin.

Ugh.

2 Likes

I think your comment and price input serves to justify my $40 per dog fee. I think you live in a less costly part of the country. And many travelers prefer to bring beloved doggie rather then boarding. I acknowledge my property rate is higher than most. My guests seem willing to pay. Including my vacation time and blocked time for Maintenence or repairs I had fewer than 50 vacant nights in any property for a year. So my fee is not stopping bookings.

2 Likes

It is not a “whopping “. It is a fair rate for certain types of properties.

3 Likes

The service animal link will likely remain forever and may increase the “train guests how to F over hosts and lie that their Pomeranian is a SA”. Nothing new there.
Look we are obviously totally 100% on your side. Honestly, I don’t see that anything is any different than usual yet. You have always allowed pets. Now, Guests can actually use the app to select # of pets at booking. I assume you msg all guests anyway, right?
Ok so guests can finally SPECIFY # of pets, 1-5, when they make a booking. When they do that they are implicitly agreeing to House Rules.
It is really no different than making a booking for 5 Infants to a stay that “allows infants” but limits them in House Rules.
What many are looking forward to is the “next thing” - PET FEES in the settings, not just listing info or house rules. In theory, we should see that soon.

I have the option to put in the pet fee but I will not because it only charges it once no matter how long the booking is or how many animals or whether or not they are house trained. I charge based on all those things.

2 Likes

I’m sure hotels are drooling over the news of Airbnb adding pet fees, another nail in the coffin. For the last 18 months, the biggest growth in investment real estate has been in ‘turn key’ short-term rental solutions, the buzz and promotion and new entrants into offerings for this is staggering. I’m not going to be shocked to see the result in the next 2 years being a lot of people complaining about downward pricing pressures due to all the increases in supply coming.

If I had to welcome dogs it would be at 75$ per night per dog…

3 Likes

Two years……locally I have seen hosts drop out after 6 months…….they didn’t understand the work and commitment.

1 Like

Fortunately with a shared entry and forced air heating, I don’t allow any animals, and a number of guests are grateful. Why doesn’t Chesky understand that people with allergies need spaces where animals, including service animals, are never allowed and that they are willing to pay extra?

Damn, we need legislation to outlaw representing animals as “emotional support animals”. They’re pets.

4 Likes