Airbnb's New Terms of Service

Airbnb’s new Terms of Service will come into effect for all existing hosts on June 27, 2018. I’m sure that as wonderful as the Terms of Service is for bedtime reading, very few people have the desire or time to read through all the legalese. What to know what’s changing and what you’re agreeing to going forward? Check out our latest blog post on Airbnb’s new Terms of Service and what it means.

We’d love to know what you think and if you found this useful!

12 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Looks like it took a lot of work to put together, it is appreciated.

4 Likes

You’re very welcome @Terryathome! Let me know if there are any other of these types of informational posts you’d find interesting as we want to make sure we’re continuing to provide valuable content for all our awesome hosts :grinning:!

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Gyn, for this detailed and thoughtful analysis. it was very helpful.

I was particularly interested in the updated version that stated that reviews should now be “accurate”. Did anybody pick up on this, and/or have any comments?

2 Likes

I liked the old version, reviews must be “fair, truthful and factual”, better. Myself, I always try to give a fair statement, which may or may not be accurate.

2 Likes

This is why I should be more active on this site. Thank you for all of the detail!

Pity you did not give the same attention to the Privacy changes!
Basically AirBnB is going in the opposite direction to everyone else in terms of keeping our information private and confidential. Third parties (and there are many including all social media) can do what they wish with what AirBnB releases… and they release a lot!!! Not only that but all our host information becomes part of their aggregate data, i.e. part of their proprietary algorhythms. Such algorhythms are sold to help focus corporate or service spending. They necessarily contain the same cultural biases that has made much of western corporate culture racist, isolationist and focussed on profit beyond any human or community responsibility for care. Saying they do not identify individuals, does not change that.

That’s a steep one. I am absolutely not focussed on profit, and I believe I care a lot about my fellow humans and community in general.

Having said that, I am a huge fan of “big data” and I don’t think it is a bad idea for Airbnb to give, or sell, information to third parties, for whatever reason.

What makes you believe that sharing data hurts the community?

I find that a strange and surprising perspective. First of all, it’s wrong for Airbnb to profit from selling user data, if that is what they are doing. It is not theirs to sell. Second, selling user data violates privacy, which is a fundamental human right.

All of the links I provided to allow hosts to check out for themselves the effects of AirBnB sharing and/or selling our personal information or aggregate data to third parties, were disallowed by AirBnB. So for all who wish to educate themselves, including Mr Blocher, please put “critical books on proprietary algorithm” into your favourite search engine and begin. Note MIT and Stanford among those references on algorithm bias… Check out “Weapons of Math Destruction”… Eimear O’Neill PhD… university and community educator

A great body of work. Thank you.

I’m a new member on this Forum. It looks like there are a range of opinions re Airbnb’s proposed 2022 Superhost 10-stay policy. I submitted the feedback below to Airbnb recently and just got a “that’s our policy” response from Airbnb. While we could just drop out of Airbnb, it would be helpful if they helped us manage the risks. If you agree, you might provide Airbnb with similar feedback so they know many Superhosts are not happy about this change in the middle of a pandemic.

As a long-time Superhost, I object to Airbnb’s: (a) proposed minimum 10-stay Superhost requirement, and (b) reluctance to include host/guest vaccination status. Both policies are socially irresponsible, contributes to global COVID-related hospitalizations and deaths, and suggests that Airbnb puts revenues above the safety of their hosts/guests. First, given the continuing lack of data on the COVID-variants, it is premature to implement this 10-stay policy. In these COVID-uncertain times, Superhost status should be based on host/guest ratings, and response/cancellation rates, not arbitrary stay limits. Many hosts have had to stop host/guest shared arrangements for safety reasons and that limits stay opportunities and increases costs for those hosts without separate accommodations. Second, Airbnb not providing vaccination status robs the hosts/guests from protecting themselves/communities from non-vaccinated people who put self-interests above broader community protection.

Closed because a) it’s an old topic and b) you’re trying to piss into the wind, sadly.

JF

1 Like