Airbnb will not show names of prospective guests to Oregon hosts in

Thouht this was interesting in light of the many posts I’ve read on the site about the ins and outs of subconscious bias! Like genuinely interesting, not trying to start any arguments. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. The policy is part of a discrimination lawsuit settlement.

2. Instead of seeing a first name before booking, hosts will see only initials.

3. A Harvard Business School study showed reduced booking of Africans Americans when first names were used.

4 Likes

I’m surprised it was only 16% lower! I’ve also noticed that despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over their “no photo before booking confirmed” policy change from a couple of years ago, Airbnb is apparently still in business.

I still think they will eventually adopt an instant book only policy, or a policy that so heavily favors it that few hosts won’t adopt IB.

2 Likes

What? How will we vette our guests? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

You won’t, it will be like BDC and we will be expected to take anyone that wants to book with their 20 ESA!

1 Like

I find dog breed to be a better predictor of what guests will be like than their name, presumed ethnicity or where they come from. And even that is not very accurate. But I think we can all agree that Cavoodle people are the worst!

2 Likes

German shepards… Super shedders! But great dogs, usually their people are ok too

1 Like

Labrador’s- unbelievable amount of shedding over 3 days.
At home I had a pair of Alaskan Malamutes, love the breed and personality of the dogs, but the bags and bags of fur,but now have a cross Maltese / Yorkshire terrier who barely sheds.

3 Likes