AirBnB vs Actual BnB - Clarification

Whats the difference? I live in a small town with one B&B that has been in business for 20 years. I know they invested a considerable amount of time and money accomplishing all the legal requirements for a B&B License ie: inspection, fire safety, food safety licensing etc. If I wanted to embark on Hosting, will I need to do the same things? Thank you.

I don’t know where you are in the world and I’m sure laws vary but I have an “official” B&B and it means having insurance that includes public liability (in case the guest injures themselves whilst in the property), having an annual surprise kitchen inspection by the local authority environmental health department and also an annual surprise fire inspection. We have to have fire doors, emergency lighting, wired (not battery operated) ceiling smoke detectors and various fire extinguishers. All the fire related stuff has to be inspected by a competent person (ie you can’t inspect them yourself) annually. There are also laws relating to rubbish - you can’t put waste generated by a business into a domestic bin you have to get a separate bin and waste removal contract.

Hope that helps answer your question.